1. #1

    Warlock pet selection, imp seems best yet I see nobody using it?!

    So I am messing around with my 85 lock trying to see about maybe taking it to 90 next

    Since the dark soul CD is now spec based and not pet based I guess we're open to anything

    Most guides reccomend grimoire of sacrifice but I don't really want to have no pet, that's half the fun of warlock to have pets

    On dummies (with glyph of demon training) and curse of elements, the fel imp is doing over double the damage of the observer/shivarra/void lord. For craps sake an Imp under aff spec actually did more to the dummy than the Wrathguard on demo spec.... and that's messed up...

    In addition to that, it has a heal, sure the heal hurts you 1st (for almost no damage) but then it... well... heals you... as well as the imp giving the stamina buff, sounds good especially for pvp

    The concern and reason for question here is... I have not seen 1 guide say to use the imp, I have not seen any players using the imps....... are people just stupid? Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-10-14 at 10:03 PM.

  2. #2
    On a stationary pet the imp underperforms. In real situations, the imp is probably better.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    The concern and reason for question here is... I have not seen 1 guide say to use the imp, I have not seen any players using the imps....... are people just stupid? Or am I missing something?
    This question gets asked all the time - take off Glyph of Demon Training, and see if it does more DPS. Demon Training is not a DPS increase. The reason Imp looks good is because Demon Training causes Recount to calculate DPS incorrectly.

    Alternatively, instead of looking at DPS, look at total damage done.

  4. #4
    Depends on the spec your playing as affliction is best wit sacrifice in dungeons and raids by quite a bit . If your playing demonology or destruction than supremecy and any demon will do pretty well with only slight differences in certain situations for example the wrathguard will help with aoe , the observer has an interrupt and the imp a heal etc, so as destro or demo you can pick your favorite minion and roll with that and wont notice a huge vast difference . Play what you like !

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfbked View Post
    Depends on the spec your playing as affliction is best wit sacrifice in dungeons and raids by quite a bit . If your playing demonology or destruction than supremecy and any demon will do pretty well with only slight differences in certain situations for example the wrathguard will help with aoe , the observer has an interrupt and the imp a heal etc, so as destro or demo you can pick your favorite minion and roll with that and wont notice a huge vast difference . Play what you like !
    Im considering the sacrifice thing because Im not fond of the little imp anyway tbh, people keep saying something about getting 20% more hp too

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    I use the voidlord almost exclusively with my affliction lock... seems to hold agro very nicely while I dot and nuke the hell out of stuff.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  7. #7
    I think I'm going to let the Warlock wait, it has never been one of my favorite classes and Im reminded why

    Sitting there dpsing the dummy and all the DoTs last like 3 seconds... so annoying to play just staring at the DoTs like that refreshing them constantly, I was Demo before but that isn't a whole lot better anyway (statistically it's worse anyway lol)

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Im considering the sacrifice thing because Im not fond of the little imp anyway tbh, people keep saying something about getting 20% more hp too
    If you use Soul Link, Sacrifice gives you +20% more hp.

    Blizz's aim was to get all of the warlock pets equivalent dps (even the voidwalker, I hear) and have you swap them out based on utility. Most guides recommend Sacrifice for Affliction/Destro because of not-yet-perfect pet AI (having full control over all your damage rather then having 20%+ tied to buggy AI is generally better, I think that Sac doesn't give enough damage boost for it to be worth loosing demon's damage bonus for Demo)

    So, if you wanna use the Imp, use the imp. All the pets do same amount of single target, the Guard does more multi target/
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I use the voidlord almost exclusively with my affliction lock... seems to hold agro very nicely while I dot and nuke the hell out of stuff.

    Solo content is different from group content.

    Void has no use in a group setting since it's damage is lower then other minions.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Solo content is different from group content.

    Void has no use in a group setting since it's damage is lower then other minions.
    I do not think this is true. The void's dps is lower when things aren't hitting it. It hits like a truck if something is hitting it though. So if by some bizarre reason you are tanking, your dps will not suffer much.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    On dummies (with glyph of demon training) and curse of elements, the fel imp is doing over double the damage of the observer/shivarra/void lord. For craps sake an Imp under aff spec actually did more to the dummy than the Wrathguard on demo spec.... and that's messed up...
    Are you using a combat log parse to check DPS, or a damage meter mod?

    Damage meters have the tendency to only record active DPS (that is, DPS done while doing something) instead of effective DPS (which is the actual damage per second over the fight's duration). The Glyph of Demon Training causes the Imp to fire off a very quick burst of bolts, then stand around doing nothing while it's energy regenerates. This has no effect on it's effective DPS, since it's bolts are constrained by energy regen either way, but it does change it's active DPS because there's a huge stretch of down-time between bolt bursts. In order to check an Imp's effective DPS, use a combat log parse, or do a damage test over a set amount of time with and without the glyph. Over an equal amount of time, both glyphed and non-glyphed Imps should do about the same amount of damage (varying on crit, mostly), but the glyphed Imp would appear to have a higher active DPS.

    In short, the Glyph of Demon Training has no effect on your Imp's DPS, but it can cause damage meters to display an inflated active DPS.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    I do not think this is true. The void's dps is lower when things aren't hitting it. It hits like a truck if something is hitting it though. So if by some bizarre reason you are tanking, your dps will not suffer much.
    I've often ended up tanking half a heroic after our tank drops, Voidlord is awesome at what it's supposed to do, not so great doing what it's not supposed to, surprisingly.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    I think that Sac doesn't give enough damage boost for it to be worth loosing demon's damage bonus for Demo)
    It's not really about Demo's damage. You need the Wrathguard to be hitting non stop for the Demonic Fury generation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •