Ele shaman general tips for MSV

Hello all, I asked my guild if I could go elemental for this tier as I've been healing for the past 3 expansions & would like to focus in the change of dps from now on. They said it was ok, I was healing on my mistweaver monk last week but we found someone who can take that spot over so I began gearing up my ele shaman & he's 461 as of right now. I plan to gem & enchant him before raid night. I'm pretty much mostly gemmed anyways but finalizing.

Over the course of this week doing heroics & LFR I noticed elemental blast does some hefty damage and the buff from it is actually quite good.

I've been reading on totem spot about the fights & talents/glyphs, but it felt fairly incomplete so I would like some feedback directly from those who have played ele & what they're thoughts are.

The furthest we've gotten is elegon & we'll be attempting him later tonight & I assume we'll be progressing on him next week as well.

If anybody could give me tips on the talents/glyphs for appropriate fights that'd be awesome. I'll be the least geared in the raid so I want to make sure I'm not to much of a thorn for the group.

Deleted
    Hi there,

Only glyph you should have for sure is Glyph of flame shock, the others are depending on which boss your dealing with. Personally i almost always run with glyph of unleashed lightning. You can skip that one on The spiritbinder since there is very little movement on that fight.
    Be sure to always have flameshock up, if you can, try and have it up on a few targets aswell. Else just keep reading up on stuff on totemspot its really good forum for shamans and they hardly ever get rotations/theorycrafting wrong, else just enjoy the playstyle of elemental shaman, but dont expect to be top on damage, were not in a shape to compete at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenigame View Post
    Hi there,

Only glyph you should have for sure is Glyph of flame shock, the others are depending on which boss your dealing with. Personally i almost always run with glyph of unleashed lightning. You can skip that one on The spiritbinder since there is very little movement on that fight.
    Be sure to always have flameshock up, if you can, try and have it up on a few targets aswell. Else just keep reading up on stuff on totemspot its really good forum for shamans and they hardly ever get rotations/theorycrafting wrong, else just enjoy the playstyle of elemental shaman, but dont expect to be top on damage, were not in a shape to compete at the moment.
    Personally i have not been running with glyph of flame shock on all fights. However, i agree that glyph of unleashed lightning is essential; its become a part of my playstyle. Besides unleashed lightning ive been going with glyph of fire elemental totem and chain lightning/flame shock depending on the fight. I'm 3/6 hc now and whilst some argue you cannot compete with certain other dps classes(according to simcraft etc..) - I believe you can if you know when and how to use your spells correctly.
    That's the thing about RNG. It doesn't hate anybody - it just goes about its business, oblivious to the world around it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuko View Post
    Personally i have not been running with glyph of flame shock on all fights. However, i agree that glyph of unleashed lightning is essential; its become a part of my playstyle. Besides unleashed lightning ive been going with glyph of fire elemental totem and chain lightning/flame shock depending on the fight. I'm 3/6 hc now and whilst some argue you cannot compete with certain other dps classes(according to simcraft etc..) - I believe you can if you know when and how to use your spells correctly.
    We cleared the instance 2 days ago, I was benched on fights simply cause we didnt do as much dmg nor have the required ability to compete with other classes. But hopefully the next patch will give us the edge so we for once can be 100% viable in raids.
    Glyph of flame shock is the only required glyph there is, you can read about it on totemspot and elitistjerks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was benched on fights simply cause I didn't do as much dmg nor have the required ability to compete with other people.
    Fixed
    making sure ppl don't get the wrong idea.

I was benched on fights simply cause we didnt do as much dmg nor have the required ability to compete with other classes. But hopefully the next patch will give us the edge so we for once can be 100% viable in raids.
    No you're just bad.

Deleted
    Dosent take much before the trolls/flamers joins the camp fire!

Dosent take much before the trolls/flamers joins the camp fire!
    They're not wrong though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    They're not wrong though.
    And you and the others base this on?

Deleted
    BAAAAAAAAAACK on topic. Heres a few links that might be useful

Elemental Shaman Guide - 5.0.5 Edition

Mogu'shan Vaults Heroic Mode First Impressions

Mogu'shan Vaults Normal Mode First Impressions

The second two links are just hearsay but they have some okay tips in (some from me, but other people contributed too and I learned from them, so maybe you can too?).
    Last edited by mmoc63fa3da953; 2012-10-15 at 12:53 PM.

I honestly would like to comment on the whole dps debate just a tad. I'm siding with the fact that ele shamans are actually competitive in fact. I've seen them come second to warlocks & depending on the fight fire mages as well. Between ele all the ranged dps the only one I believe is just going to be on top all the time if played well is affliction lock. The other 3 (or 4...god I can't count today) are all up to player skill I've seen so far

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    BAAAAAAAAAACK on topic. Heres a few links that might be useful

Elemental Shaman Guide - 5.0.5 Edition

Mogu'shan Vaults Normal Mode First Impressions

Mogu'shan Vaults Heroic Mode First Impressions

The second two links are just hearsay but they have some okay tips in (some from me, but other people contributed too and I learned from them, so maybe you can too?).
    Fetter your normal is linking to hc, and hc to normal etc, however nice impressions, good read
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    Fetter your normal is linking to hc, and hc to normal etc, however nice impressions, good read
    Fixed ^_^ Thanks

I'm seeing alot of posts in the normal thread saying primal is better. I never thought the scaling of damage from the dot & nova was that good over EB. I mean is EB that hard to cast on stone guard? I can see it used very well.

Is it the multi-dotting on this fight that make it better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I'm seeing alot of posts in the normal thread saying primal is better. I never thought the scaling of damage from the dot & nova was that good over EB. I mean is EB that hard to cast on stone guard? I can see it used very well.

Is it the multi-dotting on this fight that make it better?
    Its multi-DoTing is part of it, but the biggest reason I suggested it is because of movement meaning you get screwed over by being unable to cast EB and also it makes mana management easier because a large part of your DPS is not actually mana dependant (FE does cost mana, but relative to the damage it does its nothing).

However, I did take EB in the HC kill and much prefered it, following the suggestions of others in the normal mode thread. Its not meant to be a guide, its a first impressions thread that contains some useful tips. I will - when I get around too it - update the original post with other peoples suggestions so that you don't have to read too much, but for now I really do recommend you read the entire thread. Its a discussion thread not a guide