Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I agree with the OP that the pet battles are fucking broken. This is comming from someone who has 430 UNIQUE pets and the Tamer title http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hoof/Pacer/pet (dunno why armory says I have 451).

Currently the pets you buy are way too strong. Their abilities are insane and the setup of the abilities are also too strong, while some pets have super strong skill a and b in slot 3, most of these bought pets have a super strong skill a in slot 2 and a super strong skill b in slot 3 which allows them to use 2 strong abilities at once.

Trainers are also way too strong for someone with a full level capped pet team. Im going to make a comparison to Pokemon because it is what blizzard is trying to copy and tbh it is a fun and balanced game. In pokemon your primary goal is to complete the poke league, the first time you get to the poke league your pokemon team should be averaging arround lvl 42-60 depending on which of the games you are playing. Once you have completed the poke league your pokemons get a lot stronger - up to level 100. That way you can use the poke league again to boost lower level pokemons with your now very strong pokemons. In other words, the trainers should be strong the first time you do them but get progressively easiler.
    Pet battles are lacking that entirely, I cant boost low levels on the harder trainers, I need to use 3 lvl 23+ pets in order to take out northrend trainers and anything above. Infact on most of them I need to use 3 lvl 25 pets to take them out. I think this is perfectly fine if the level cap on player pets were higher (lvl 30) so that I later on could easily boost other pets by killing trainer pets.

I just saw that they are planning to increase the xp gained from trainers but that wont help anything when you cant use lower level pets against them.

The balance between types is also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off, certian types such as undead and mechanical (mostly undead) have an insane advantage when they revive after getting killed. Its fine that x ability does more damage against y type but those type specific traits are insanely unbalanced.

Another gripe I have is that you only have access to 3 abilities at once and you cant even choose the 3 abilities out of the 6 that ur pet gets in total. No instead you have a choice to pick either a or b in 3 brackets. Personally I think pets should have minimum 10 abilities to choose from and be able to use 4 abilities like in pokemon. Going from 3 to 4 is huge, one of your attacks will ALWAYS have to be a "normal" attack so with a cap of 3 you will only have 2 special attacks or 2 attacks that involves fun strategies.

The only thing I think is really well thought out about the pet battles system at the moment is the pet "Terrible Turnip" who is amazing for catching wild pets (cant kill enemies with their main attack), the only problem with this pet is that you get it far too late to actually use it for a long time. For referance I got it when I had yet to catch maybe 15 pets across all 5 continents.
    Last edited by mmocaa84e3d5fa; 2012-10-15 at 04:09 PM.

I like it, my only problem is the master trainers, got my title and cleared em all yesterday after several tries. The last chicks dragon was hitting my pets for 1300+ on its first hit, so Id basically have to sacrifice one of them to be able to beat her.

I agree to an extent about some pet abilities being flawed and somewhat OP but I used them to my advantage just as the trainers did on me. Prime example is Flayer Younglings reflect ability. If used before an opponent casts fly he will fly up in the air as well and after the first hit on the following turn he will be in flight the rest of the fight and will be missed on every turn thereafter while still being able to damage the enemys pets.

Just need to use the flaws with some of the abilities to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    I actually have to agree with this, i woulnd`t go as far as to say pet battles were created for people to purchase pets but the simple fact that all the pets are absurdly overpowered kind of makes me wonder if they aren`t taking advantage of the pet store ..like any good business (cannot fail to mention that even though i agree that a company would use that to increase it`s proffit - that is not the Blizzard entertainment that i love and trust).

Actually the pet tamers in cataclysm are SO powerful that you cannot best them with maxed out pets even if you don´t miss or have any dodges.
    I am an old player with crazy old pets, i have tried everything, spirit of competition pets..rare wild pets..etc. No dice.
    They are introducing the pet quality stones now because it is so obvious that the only way to advance for 98% of the community past cataclysm is using pet store pets..which is wrong.
    But at least they are adressing that ..
    please, they are non that hard. I would say toughest are LK ones as you usually arent maxed yet at that point and they have some exoctic combinations, bu they are far from unbeatable without pet store pets. Get onyxian whelping, get the ooze from hinterlands/tundra, get shadeling from kara, get gnome from arch and get phoenix from MGT and you can beat any npc trainer. I couldnt even get the ooze and still beat all the trainers with the other 4. Protip: Boiling blood is ridiculously good with long term dots tat remain after switch - DnD, turrets etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only qualm with the system is that you can't use the pets that you like because they aren't OP. I had plans of using certain pets I've had since vanilla but was pigeon holed into using Tarecgosa and Pandaren Monk just to remain competitive. Other then that, I love it.

the miss/dodge crap needs to go. I've won games I shouldn't have and lost games I should have. it's ridiculous

also pandaren monk needs to be nerfed.

Deleted
    I have to totally agree with the OP the Pet Battle System as it is now is complete and utter BS.

- Its way to RNG - ie if your tooltip says an ability is strong against an opponent you should in now way miss
    - the match system is complete broken - apart from the fact that people ofc abuse it by ie queuing with 25,25, 17 to boost the 3rd Pet - you get an opponenet with 1,1,5 when you queue with 1,1,1 to fix it a team shouldnt be allowed to have pets more then 1 level apart to level if you queue against humans
    - at 25 the queue becomes complete and utter useless - why queue when the win brings you ZERO?
    - the rewards for fighting a tamer should be ACCOUNT WIDE like the quests are and NOT soulbound (prove that activision devs are plain stupid imho)
    - when you battle pets in pandaria like Vale of Blossom and you capture a pet it gets downleveled to level 22 - i would unterstand that if you could sell catches but as you cant wtf downlevel? making capturing of pets apart from the archis useless too
    - the tamer levels are a joke too - you can only capture level 25 pets in pandaria but youll have trainers with pets level =>25 from northrend on - you should only have trainers with level 25 pets in pandaria so that it is fun and not feels like walls you have to push through

the way it is now ill give it till xmas then pet battles are dead and gone like the implemented voice chat....

It's far from perfect, but it's still a very cool feature Blizzard added. In fact I think it's quite in depth for something that's supposed to be some optional side thing. Also remember that it will be improved as time goes on. It can't be 100% perfect upon release. There's always going to be bugs and pets that hit harder. You'd have to be silly not to think that out of the hundreds of pets some wouldn't be OP. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Pacer;18757766]I agree with the OP that the pet battles are fucking broken. This is comming from someone who has 430 UNIQUE pets and the Tamer title http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hoof/Pacer/pet (dunno why armory says I have 451).

Currently the pets you buy are way too strong. Their abilities are insane and the setup of the abilities are also too strong, while some pets have super strong skill a and b in slot 3, most of these bought pets have a super strong skill a in slot 2 and a super strong skill b in slot 3 which allows them to use 2 strong abilities at once.

Trainers are also way too strong for someone with a full level capped pet team. Im going to make a comparison to Pokemon because it is what blizzard is trying to copy and tbh it is a fun and balanced game. In pokemon your primary goal is to complete the poke league, the first time you get to the poke league your pokemon team should be averaging arround lvl 42-60 depending on which of the games you are playing. Once you have completed the poke league your pokemons get a lot stronger - up to level 100. That way you can use the poke league again to boost lower level pokemons with your now very strong pokemons. In other words, the trainers should be strong the first time you do them but get progressively easiler.
    Pet battles are lacking that entirely, I cant boost low levels on the harder trainers, I need to use 3 lvl 23+ pets in order to take out northrend trainers and anything above. Infact on most of them I need to use 3 lvl 25 pets to take them out. I think this is perfectly fine if the level cap on player pets were higher (lvl 30) so that I later on could easily boost other pets by killing trainer pets.
    So your problem is basically that pet battles remain challenging even when your pets are max level, and that there aren't any good tricks for power leveling your lower level pets, unlike in Pokemon where all you need is one level 50+ pet and you can oneshot just about anything in the game, and use an EXP Share to level up all your other Pokemon by 2-3 levels a fight?

I agree that it's more challenging than Pokemon, but, personally, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

The balance between types is also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off, certian types such as undead and mechanical (mostly undead) have an insane advantage when they revive after getting killed. Its fine that x ability does more damage against y type but those type specific traits are insanely unbalanced.
    Gotta disagree here. Mechanical do seem pretty overpowered, but undead are weak to the most common pet type in the game and are a pain to level in the wild.

Another gripe I have is that you only have access to 3 abilities at once and you cant even choose the 3 abilities out of the 6 that ur pet gets in total. No instead you have a choice to pick either a or b in 3 brackets. Personally I think pets should have minimum 10 abilities to choose from and be able to use 4 abilities like in pokemon. Going from 3 to 4 is huge, one of your attacks will ALWAYS have to be a "normal" attack so with a cap of 3 you will only have 2 special attacks or 2 attacks that involves fun strategies.
    Wouldn't that just make it more unbalanced? You may notice that the three ability slots perform similar functions, which is why you can't mix and match the abilities.

The only thing I think is really well thought out about the pet battles system at the moment is the pet "Terrible Turnip" who is amazing for catching wild pets (cant kill enemies with their main attack), the only problem with this pet is that you get it far too late to actually use it for a long time. For referance I got it when I had yet to catch maybe 15 pets across all 5 continents.
    Maybe you should've started farming before you started pet battling? I got my Terrible Turnip before I even started leveling my pets.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Are the store pets really overpowered compared to other pets? What about in comparison to other rare pets? I got the impression that the rare quality pets were supposed to be a little tougher, which would include those purchased online.

(Genuine question. My highest level pet is level 3, and it's the one the pet pane automatically selected for me -- that should give you an idea of how much I've tried the pet battles -- so I really don't know.)

If it's true, that's a legitimate complaint (and pretty sucky), but if we're talking about battling our vendor pet against them, maybe that is the issue. Try it with a rare pet, a rare drop or capture, and see if there is still that disparity.

It totally makes sense if [rare] pets end up being stronger than [common] ones, so I'm curious if the complaint is mostly due to that and not because the store-bought pets are actually indisputably superior.
    Yep, it's due to that, and that store-bought pets are equal to rares caught in the wild. As not everyone has the patience to hunt the rare versions of the pets they want, it seems like store-bought pets are alittle OP because of they are naturally better than your everyday uncommon. They still can be countered though, by uncommons.

For those that are having problems or canny be arsed fighting through a battle only to not end up with a rare.

/run for i=1,C_PetBattles.GetNumPets(2) do SELECTED_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(C_PetBattles.GetName(2,i).." - ".._G["BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY"..C_PetBattles.GetBreedQuality(2,i)]) end

Macro that, and use it before the fight begins, it will tell you if there is a rare in other team, then you can decide whether you want to keep fighting or not.

Or download the addon.

I know this isn't for everyone, some may feel it takes away the *fun* of finding a rare, but for those that are having problems, maybe this is a solution.

I got my Tamer title and now I think I'm done with pet battling. There's nothing else to do except go catch every pet (boring) or just do PvP battles (no reward, everyone pays to win with the pet store). It was fun for a day, but meh.

Also, at everyone saying that the master tamers gave them trouble...

Disgusting Oozeling. Level 25. Never lose again. I rarely had to even swap to my 2nd and 3rd pets against any of the master trainers in Pandaria/Cata/Northrend. Acidic Goo > Corrosion > Absorb > Absorb. Repeat.
    Last edited by Dorfie; 2012-10-16 at 02:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    Actually the pet tamers in cataclysm are SO powerful that you cannot best them with maxed out pets even if you don´t miss or have any dodges.
    I am an old player with crazy old pets, i have tried everything, spirit of competition pets..rare wild pets..etc. No dice.
    They are introducing the pet quality stones now because it is so obvious that the only way to advance for 98% of the community past cataclysm is using pet store pets..which is wrong.
    But at least they are adressing that ..
    I'd like you to meet my only level 25 pets, the 3 pets I've gotten from late Eastern Kingdom and Kalimdor Masters, all the way to Tamer, with. Hopling, Stand Crab & Lava Crab. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eam/Devlan/pet (Ignore the pets in my current team, I'm leveling fo the Pristine Cage)

For garbage, I sure know a ton of people who love it.

Personally, I'ven't bothered with it much at all, but it really sounds like a case of "this doesn't function exactly as I want it to, and thus, it's bad."
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

What annoys me is when an attack says it alays hits under X condition...and misses when that condition is there.

I see this very often with the Call Darkness from Lil Deathwing whihc says all pets are blinded and then the Kilari Noncturnal Strike whihc states it always hits when opponent blinded...it misses almost half the time.

So...RNG in a game that relies heavily on the same concept, is suddenly bad? Alrighty then.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    I know this isn't for everyone, some may feel it takes away the *fun* of finding a rare, but for those that are having problems, maybe this is a solution.
    Cool solution. I know I personally love the thrill of finding a rare, but I get that a lot of people don't share that particular passion (one born from a life of Harvest Moon, Pokemon RBY, and finding super-awesome gear in strange places in Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights), so having this available should address their frustration at spending two or three attempts at catching a rare only to find out it's just a white or green (or worse, grey).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Cool solution. I know I personally love the thrill of finding a rare, but I get that a lot of people don't share that particular passion (one born from a life of Harvest Moon, Pokemon RBY, and finding super-awesome gear in strange places in Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights), so having this available should address their frustration at spending two or three attempts at catching a rare only to find out it's just a white or green (or worse, grey).
    Can't we just look at the stats when you fight the mob? If you mouseover its icon you can see its speed and attack stat.. It's pretty obvious when it's an uncommon at least, and in some cases (especially at higher levels) when it's a rare, since the stat difference is quite huge. I've "upgraded" a couple of my pets from poor to rare because I happened to notice the significantly higher stat difference. Unfortunately not pets I would use, but still.

No need for addons and such, unless the addon works without you ever having to even engage the mob. Or unless I'm mistaken, but doesn't seem to be that way so far.

Edit: I just caught an uncommon sporeling last night doing that. I took note of my poor Sporeling's stats, and when the uncommon came along, it was a stat difference of at least 20 i think (this at level 18).

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

40% of the times mines won't really explode at all.

Dodge... that's really lame, there shouldn't be any dodge/miss.

Sums up my experience. It has potential, just far from finished and still extremely buggy. Another big bug is being hit while "flying".

OP is just whining really. It's not balanced sure, did you really expect it to be? They'll probably nerf some of the really OP things eventually. Dodge? I guess that's personal preference but it makes perfect sense to me. Yeah a few things are buggy, shock horror.

Could it be better? Sure. Is it "beta"? Hell no quit QQing.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 04:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    - at 25 the queue becomes complete and utter useless - why queue when the win brings you ZERO?
    Why do pet battles at all? For fun of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    - the rewards for fighting a tamer should be ACCOUNT WIDE like the quests are and NOT soulbound (prove that activision devs are plain stupid imho)
    Now see you had a valid point to make there but you had to go and inject so much ignorance and QQ into it that it totally undercut you.