Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What strategy games are there? Any at all?

Besides Shogun 2, what good strategy games are there?
    I'm having a very hard time finding something new AND fun in the old style type of game of building your base and mustering your armies.
    There's Starcraft 2 but, pretty bored with that. And I'd like something medieval/fantasy-like that I can play with a friend of mine, preferably against AI.

I wish there was an updated Age of Empires 2, that game was brilliant. But, any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    The RTS games have been dead for years now, Total War is the only good one left.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Command and Conquer
    Age of Empire
    Battle for Middle Earth

also, not a base building but great game still i'd recommend
    World in Conflict

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Besides Shogun 2, what good strategy games are there?
    I'm having a very hard time finding something new AND fun in the old style type of game of building your base and mustering your armies.
    There's Starcraft 2 but, pretty bored with that. And I'd like something medieval/fantasy-like that I can play with a friend of mine, preferably against AI.

I wish there was an updated Age of Empires 2, that game was brilliant. But, any ideas?
    To my knowledge their are few newer rts games with Starcraft, AoE gameplay.

-Age of Mythology. Age of Empire game play with magical units from Mythology. Bit dated however, good news is you can still find cheap copies in the bargain bins at stores.

-Sins of a Solar Empire. Research, build bases, and amass a large Armada of Spaceships.

-Mount and Warblade. A mix of strategy and fps kind of game play. You start out with very little, become some Kings pet Mercenary. Then after you gain enough power free yourself and become a Lord and carry your own banner, then rebel against your king and start and control your own Kingdom with lords of your own(Who can and will betray you if they feel cheated when X instead of them gets that Village rewarded and so forth.) Or do whatever you want. become some Warlord everyone hates or just some trader, or some mercenary who destroys every village or town that gets in your way. Again this is not really a real Strategy games but a mixture of two game types.

-Supreme Commander. Standard RTS gameplay. Build bases and Army. however unlike other RTSes you will have a swarm of units under your command.

If you want something allot more complex get a game from Paradox Like Crusader Kings 2. In this Game Diplomacy is often more important then fighting. In one game my characters Mother hated my Toon and seemed like not a day went by were some assassin wanted to throw me off a Balconey. So my half brother would get my lands. If you want something more then commanding Armies then CK2 is your game. Also their is a Game of Thrones mod for it.
    If you want something more War Oriented Hearts of iron 3 is set in WW2 and you can control any country and change how WW2 went or just replay it.

10+ Year Old Account
    supcom.........

Deleted
    RTS starts sucking as soon as you get to know Paradox titles and civ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    The RTS games have been dead for years now, Total War is the only good one left.
    This is sadly quite true. The last good RTS games were Command&Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander, both launched in 2007.

Everything since then has been crap

10+ Year Old Account
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is the best RTS game I've played in a long while. For $40, it comes with all the content from the previous expansions and is stand-alone. Eye-exploding graphics depending on your computer, expansive tech trees and pretty comprehensive factions.

As far as fantasy RTS goes? *Thinks hard* I seriously am having trouble naming one. O.o

check out Company of Heroes, and Company of heroes 2 when it comes out, its a world war 2 squad based, cover based, RTS. A bit more RNG than your average RTS but its extremely fun.

Hmm, Elemental-Fallen Enchantress is coming out next week. It is made by the same people that made Sins of a Solar Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    check out Company of Heroes, and Company of heroes 2 when it comes out, its a world war 2 squad based, cover based, RTS. A bit more RNG than your average RTS but its extremely fun.
    The above and Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn based:
    Elemental Fallen Enchantress
    Civilization
    Sword of the Stars 2 is decent but they're still fixing stuff so id hold off on that awhile longer.
    Total War series
    Armada 2526 + supernova expac is pretty fun.
    Endless Space

RTS:
    Distant Worlds Series- Bit pricey (~90 dollars for game + 2 xpacs) and very hardcore but very fun. 2D gameplay may put off many people though
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
    Star Ruler I found to be quite fun due to being able to blow up stars causing massive destruction. Galactic armory mod is a must if you consider this, makes the game so much better.
    Stardrive, Still in alpha but shaping up to be very good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Command and Conquer
    Age of Empire
    Battle for Middle Earth

also, not a base building but great game still i'd recommend
    World in Conflict

World in Conflict was great yes, but it's quite old by now and very dead.

The C&C franchise has been dead for a long time.
    Age of Empires is simply too old, and don't speak to me of the third one, it's atrocious.

Battle for Middle-Earth is also old and has aged pretty badly. I'm afraid that graphics mean a lot to me, and playing 5-10+ year old games isn't gonna work.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    supcom.........
    Supreme Commander? Yeah if I want an interface that covers half my damned screen I'll play that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know you guys, but i still play Medieval Total War, first one, not the second. Great game and it will allways be as that for me. And it still looks cool if you dont do battles yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    Turn based:
    Elemental Fallen Enchantress
    Civilization
    Sword of the Stars 2 is decent but they're still fixing stuff so id hold off on that awhile longer.
    Total War series
    Armada 2526 + supernova expac is pretty fun.
    Endless Space

RTS:
    Distant Worlds Series- Bit pricey (~90 dollars for game + 2 xpacs) and very hardcore but very fun. 2D gameplay may put off many people though
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
    Star Ruler I found to be quite fun due to being able to blow up stars causing massive destruction. Galactic armory mod is a must if you consider this, makes the game so much better.
    Stardrive, Still in alpha but shaping up to be very good.
    Micro-management isn't fun, nor are all these (for some reason) sci-fi strategy games. Mostly because they're way too heavy on numbers and management. That or being plain boring. They appeal to a small crowd. We've played CIV 5 a lot, so we've grown bored with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Micro-management isn't fun, nor are all these (for some reason) sci-fi strategy games. Mostly because they're way too heavy on numbers and management. That or being plain boring. They appeal to a small crowd. We've played CIV 5 a lot, so we've grown bored with it.
    Of those id consider Fallen Enchantress and Sins to be your best bets tbh. FE is a fantasy setting with a little micro but no multiplayer. Sins has multiplayer and a little micro due to ships having pretty smart targeting to where you can just send in a fleet and watch the light show.

Deleted
    Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 (Often abbreviated as LOTRBFME2)

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War (I prefer the original, I don't think the second one is that great)

Age of Mythology, although good luck finding it.

Some others.

Deleted
    wc3, sc2

10chars

I still play Rise of Nations, great game.

Deleted
    Every Paradox Interactive game in existence is a strategy game. Well, almost at least. Don't know whether it'd be anyone here's cup of tea though, they're very niche being a beefed up map-mode of the Total War games without the battles.