Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a pretty extroverted person, but even I have days when I'd rather just be by myself. I enjoy peace and quiet, but I also enjoy interacting with others.

Personally I love speaking to big groups of people. I am perfectly comfortable with who I am and all that, however nothing is more fun to me than shaping a new personality based on the group of people I'm interacting with. Mind you, this doesn't mean I give a false name and change my interests, what I do is access more or less of my vocabulary depending on what I perceive to be their grasp of the English language, change the speed and tone of my voice, etc etc. Its fun, its always interesting and often after any one conversation with a big group of people I've made a few friends and may even have a completely different personality from when I set out. Whenever I'm alone with my thoughts I find that, while it keeps me occupied, it invokes a slight depression.

I don't mind introverts, so long as they can be social when spoken to. Nothing irritates me more than a conversation with someone who very clearly suffers from social ineptitude with no real excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    Personally I love speaking to big groups of people. I am perfectly comfortable with who I am and all that, however nothing is more fun to me than shaping a new personality based on the group of people I'm interacting with. Mind you, this doesn't mean I give a false name and change my interests, what I do is access more or less of my vocabulary depending on what I perceive to be their grasp of the English language, change the speed and tone of my voice, etc etc. Its fun, its always interesting and often after any one conversation with a big group of people I've made a few friends and may even have a completely different personality from when I set out. Whenever I'm alone with my thoughts I find that, while it keeps me occupied, it invokes a slight depression.

I don't mind introverts, so long as they can be social when spoken to. Nothing irritates me more than a conversation with someone who very clearly suffers from social ineptitude with no real excuse.
    I can relate to the "shaping personality" bit. With me though, my personality stays the same, I just will sometimes slip into a dialect that is unusual for me, if I think it will make communication more comfortable. I do wonder after reading your post, exactly who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I can relate to the "shaping personality" bit. With me though, my personality stays the same, I just will sometimes slip into a dialect that is unusual for me, if I think it will make communication more comfortable. I do wonder after reading your post, exactly who are you?
    Just a university student, I know who I am, and so do my closest friends and family. Thats all that really matters in the long run.

I learn a lot more from talking, as a general rule. Getting perspectives from intelligent, informed people and incorporating them into your thinking is really important.

I prefer to think too, but I also prefer to hear people speak then being alone all the time. So I'm a listener type. Good thing my best friend is a talker.
    X

Don't let yourself get too comfortable alone, I guess is my advice.
    I very much intend to die alone. People suck and i'll have it no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by nancypants2012 View Post
    I very much intend to die alone. People suck and i'll have it no other way.
    I think I'm actually starting to pull myself up over that that line of thought, and it's really fucking brutal. People are good, you just gotta be stronger than whatever they do got to throw at you. Turns out for me, I wasn't choosing to avoid people, I was cut off. But you can do it alone though, and it's not even necessary to be super social I believe. It's just that I don't want to die alone.

Deleted
    I think I'm actually starting to pull myself up over that that line of thought, and it's really fucking brutal. People are good, you just gotta be stronger than whatever they do got to throw at you. Turns out for me, I wasn't choosing to avoid people, I was cut off. But you can do it alone though, and it's not even necessary to be super social I believe. It's just that I don't want to die alone.
    Pfft, you got like 50-60 years ahead of you man!
    You're not even past the first half of your life!

Someone will appear, patience!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The ironing is delicious.
    I don't know, ironing seems to be a boring activity. But it's a necessary one.

And OP, I know how you feel. I am in the same position. Don't bother talking about it, because it'll end in a circlejerk.

Most people who consider themselves introverts are really not, though.
    You would do well and believe that a lot of them are. Why? Because who else would enjoy spending a lot of time doing a solitary activity(the internet) besides an introverted person?

People who aren't really introverts, are those who claim that introversion is all about spending less time at parties because you are getting exhausted. That's not all of it I'm afraid. It focuses on preferring to spend most of your time alone doing solitary activities, which ends up in less socializing, which ends up in low social experience. So "you are not introverted, you are just anxious" is a pile of nonsense in a lot of cases.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-10-17 at 07:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    You would do well and believe that a lot of them are. Why? Because who else would enjoy spending a lot of time doing a solitary activity(the internet) besides an introverted person?

People who aren't really introverts, are those who claim that introversion is all about spending less time at parties because you are getting exhausted. That's not all of it I'm afraid. It focuses on preferring to spend most of your time alone doing solitary activities, which ends up in less socializing, which ends up in low social experience. So "you are not introverted, you are just anxious" is a pile of nonsense in a lot of cases.
    What? That doesn't much sense.

So basicly a person that is on the Internet and has nothing to do other than being on the Internet is an introvert? Nope.. I have friends that are quite the extroverts and it's actually, some times, very annoying, yet, they spend a lot of time on the Internet because, some, have no way or no time to interact with people, unless they are on the Internet.

If a person doesn't like to go parties because she/he is shy, that doesn't mean that person is an introvert, also, it oculd mean that that person never went to a party before and could be afraid of how it could turn out, but after the first time, that person, usually, will jump on almost party that he/she hears, that is, if that person isn't an introvert.

But still, even introverts like parties. I'm an introvert, I never went to a party before, well there aren't that many here on Portugal anyways, but still, doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't want to go to one because I'm an introvert, you know?

And yes, "You are not introverted, you are just anxious" isn't BS.