Can't delete/rename/open certain files on my desktop

Hello there,

I seem to have a weird issue with certain files on my desktop, I can't view, rename or delete these files. If I try to I get the ''you need permission from ... to do anything with this file'' which is weird because my account is the only account on this computer and is also an administrator.

I have 4 files on my desktop that have been there for a couple of months now and I had no idea why I got these permission errors but just 5 minutes ago I got another one of these files and I now know how to replicate the ''bug'' and get more of these permission denied files. I will detail these steps below.

Basically, I'm using Firefox and if I download a random file through Firefox it will put it in the Downloads map, if I then drag this file from this Downloads map to my desktop I will get one of these permission denied files.

So to sum it up: download random file through Firefox -> random files automatically get put into Downloads map -> drag file from Downloads map to Desktop -> file that can't be opened, renamed or deleted.

The weird thing though is that if I instead of dragging the file from the downloads map I just copy it and paste it to my desktop it works perfectly fine but the moment I drag a file it goes into permission denied mode.

The only thing I can think of is that Firefox is keeping the file "open" somehow and that's where the error is stemming from. Have you tried killing the Firefox process (tree) through the Task Manager and then deleting the files? Sometimes even when the browser isn't visible, it's still running in the background with its ties to those files.

You also might be able to start the computer in safe mode with only necessary processes running and then try deleting them when there's no trace of Firefox running.
    "Sociopaths are very good at figuring out ways to fuck people over without actually breaking any rules. One might even argue that it's the only thing they're really any good at. They certainly aren't very good at being people."

Sounds like something has ownership of the file. You can right click on the file and go through the tabs if you are the administrator and "take ownership" of the file then delete it. If you want to do it old school open the command prompt go to your desktop from there and delete it.

To do this hit the start button
    type CMD in the search field and when it shows right click it and choose run as administrator
    change directory to your desktop cd c:\users\lokii\desktop --- change lokii to your user name
    delete filename -- change filename to what you want to delete

Quote Originally Posted by lokii View Post
    Sounds like something has ownership of the file. You can right click on the file and go through the tabs if you are the administrator and "take ownership" of the file then delete it. If you want to do it old school open the command prompt go to your desktop from there and delete it.

To do this hit the start button
    type CMD in the search field and when it shows right click it and choose run as administrator
    change directory to your desktop cd c:\users\lokii\desktop --- change lokii to your user name
    delete filename -- change filename to what you want to delete
    Ah it was the first part of your post!

It said: ''No groups or users have permission to access this object. However, the owner of this object can assign permissions.'' So I just gave permission to myself and I could delete the files

Thanks <3