Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jewel crafting In MoP

So I just got Jewelcrafting to 600 and I have just been doing a version if the ore shuffle so far. Prospect, make green gems to rings/necklaces, sell blue versions, vendor green ones. I had them D/E but it didn't seem that much profit. I also cut the rare gems and saving the jade ones for the panther. Anything you guys are doing to make money with Jewelcrafting? And also, what else should I be doing in order to make te most profit from this? Thanks!

-Championn
    "Three Apples changed the World, 1st one seduced Eve, 2nd fell on Newton, and the 3rd was offered to the World half bitten by Steve Jobs."

I sold a sapphire cub right after I got to 90, since it was the first thing I got from the vale loot bag, but other than that, I haven't made anything with JC. Pets don't sell, mounts don't sell above crafting price, and the gem market is a joke right now. Cut uncommon gems are selling for under 10 gold, the perfects sell for less than 100, and everyone is selling, but no one is buying. Rare gems aren't even worth mentioning, since the perfect versions outsell them hands down and for less.

I blame the massive ammounts of ghost iron that plagued us for the first week of the expansion. Everyone has huge stockpiles of it, and there is no shortage of gems, only a shortage of people needing them for gear.

I was going to lvl my JC, prospect loads of stuff, and use my transmute master to turn everything into rare/meta gems... Turns out the green>rare transmute requires a golden lotus per gem. Wont be able to make any profit like that, so I guess ill just prospect and sell stuff, making as many meta's as I can hoping for procs. Gem market seems fine on my server, rares going for 150ish gold.

Not enough gear with gem slots available yet to create much demand, though I've seen a slight upswing this week in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy67 View Post
    Not enough gear with gem slots available yet to create much demand, though I've seen a slight upswing this week in sales.
    Probably due to LFR

I mine in my secret mining-cave.

Prospecting all, selling blue gems uncut, cutting green gems and selling those that turns out blue

The classic ore shuffle on my server just runs at a loss, because enchanting mat prices are so low. I don't do that anymore.

What I do (or at least tried):

- buying uncut uncommon gems from the AH for less than 1g per piece, cutting them, listing the Perfect cuts for 50-200g (depending on competition and the price of cut rare gems), and vendoring the non-Perfect cuts. This is in theory a huge profit, but demand for gems is so low (and supply so high), that if I sell 3-4 gems per day like this, I feel happy. No idea, for how long I will be able to buy uncut uncommons so cheap from the AH.

- Sapphire Cub pet: when I got the receipe from a drop, I made one to test the market, and surprisingly it sold. Since then I have sold a few more. The price is low, however (2500g), meaning I get about as much gold from if if I had just converted my Spirits of Harmony into golden Lotuses and sold those.

- ilvl 450 rings and necklaces: low demand, but occasionally I manage to sell one or two per day. Nice profit on them, but low turnaround. Those which are made with uncommon gems (e.g. Roguestone ring) sell better, because they are cheaper. I guess people by them when they hit 90 to have the ilvl needed to enter LFD.

- Prospecting Trillium Ore. Trillium ore (black or white, doesn't matter) has fallen to about 450-500g/stack on my server. Prospecting it gives you a lot of rare gems. Overall there is a profit here by just selling the uncut rares. (On my server blue and yellow are around 50g, red, purple, green and orange 150-200g, but prices fluctuate a lot.) but as there is not much trillium Ore on the AH in the first place, you can't make much money with this.

- Cutting metagems. Very low demand, but a 100-300 gold profit possible when they sell. So I just keep cancelling and relisting.

- I DO NOT cut rare gems, as that's a sure way to lose money atm. Some of the prices are just ridiculous. We had at one point the +320 Spirit Gem at 6g50s, while it vendors for 4g. And Spirit is something that at least some healers would gem at the moment. Not something useless as PvP Power/Hit.

- I also stopped completly prospecting Ghost Iron Ore, as buying the uncommon gems and the Sparkling Shards or whatever the JC-only gems are called directly from the AH is better business. At least for now.

If I do this, I get a few hundered gold out of my JC every day playing a few hours every evening and listing stuff on the AH once before leaving for work in the morning. The more you are willing and able to cancel and relist again and again, the more money you will make obviously.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its partly blizzard's fault. I got a blue from a random mop dungeon (nonheroic) while leveling, and couldnt even use the green quality gems because the ilvl wasnt high enough. The ilvl requirement should be removed from green quality gems just to get some use out of them.
    Black Dragonflight: Kalel (Paladin), Ramage (Death Knight), Liquidc (Warrior), Aerynsùn (Monk), Nahdar (Shaman), Tokare (Druid), Jenista (Priest), Anabolix (Rogue), Findecano (Hunter), Lohra (Mage), Luminya (Warlock)

.... So I just keep cancelling and relisting... .....The more you are willing and able to cancel and relist again and again, the more money you will make obviously.
    This is the root-problem, and people doing this is the ones ruining the market...

all cut gems on my server perfect or not are going for 80-50g (

bar the 2nd teir of gems and metas

Deleted
    Quite a blow to those people who only know how to shuffle.

Blizz gave JC a very big nerf as pointed out the availability of ats means people just wont pay much.
    Again as pointed out the demand is low because not enough gear requires gems.
    The killer blow has been the free gems you get from research. This devalues the importance of recipes and also means people discard such gems for very low prices. The gems meet any current need for rare gems, so actually crafting a cut has limited value.

The obstacles facing JC this expansion are manifold. Sure, JC has always been a slow starter due to entry gear having few gem sockets, but now we've got the Perfect Uncommon gem market as a second source to contend with. In addition, Ghost Iron ore is plentiful enough that anyone can play the market if they desire, so supply is outstripping demand out the gate.

On top of that, we have the uncommon rings being relatively expensive to craft and the enchanting market suffering a glut due to the "trade up" system in addition to the limited amount of enchants available. Top end enchant are entirely dependent on a one-day cooldown and little else, besides the rep requirements. We have pets and mounts to sell now, but they either have high barriers to entry (Orb of Mystery) coupled with widespread availability (OoCS is the easiest faction to rep with) for the mounts, or being tied to a rare-drop farmed mat (Spirit of Harmony) for the pets.

That said, your best bets right now are the 450-crafted rings which still sell fairly well and are only limited in supply to Serpent's Eyes, or meta gems. Meta gem market is currently the best profit, with most cuts yielding 100g or more in added value.

I wouldn't rule out JC as a viable money maker just yet; the next tier may bring more sockets in gear and demand may soar again. However, the added difficulty of obtaining loot in the new LFR system will mean that we will never see gem sales rise to the levels of immediate post-4.3 profitability ever again. Plan for that, and work markets accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    This is the root-problem, and people doing this is the ones ruining the market...
    Actually the market is being ruined by people who under cut by absurd amounts rather than maintaining the relative price point with a 1c undercut. On the weekends I relist my entire gem stock 4-5 times a day, and the only times the price of gems dips significantly is when some idiot with 5 cut gems he made leveling comes and posts them for 18g each when the current price was at 200g.

A complete lack of sockets from heroic gear and minimal sockets in that has led to decreased demand which should pick up as people go through LFR. I personally have made most of my profits from uncut blue gems. What to do with all the green gems I prospect has been a mix of perfect gem cuts and vendoring the non-procs, making green rings to DE and make scrolls, and making the 450ilvl blue jewelery to sell.

I sold a sapphire cub right after
    Last edited by mckinneathe; 2012-10-16 at 12:44 PM.

So what do you suggest I do when I get undercut? (I always undercut by 1 silver by the way when cancelling and relisting.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    So what do you suggest I do when I get undercut? (I always undercut by 1 silver by the way when cancelling and relisting.)
    Just undercut by 1c as DisposableHero said and you wont ruin anything...Its really frustrating when ppl undercut like trolls by high amount, that's how you can ruin it

Deleted
    Yeah, that must be the problem rather than people who listed cutted rare gems for 20g at the very first day in MoP.

Blizzard should change the AH deposit to 10-20% of the selling price. This would eliminate the endless undercutting and force people to try to set up a realistic price.

You say that deep undercutting is ruining the market, but unless you have no life and you're willing to sit around all day undercutting by 1c every 10 minutes that's the only real option you have for selling. Go so low that the undercutters either give up or buy you out to repost higher. If you can make a profit doing this, and you can in most cases, the 1c undercutters only have themselves to blame for setting their prices too high to begin with.

The biggest argument I hear against deep undercutting is people whining that they spent say 5k gold leveling a profession and now they can't find a way to make a profit, which is completely ridiculous considering the profit potential of AH trading.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2500DK View Post
    Blizzard should change the AH deposit to 10-20% of the selling price. This would eliminate the endless undercutting and force people to try to set up a realistic price.

You say that deep undercutting is ruining the market, but unless you have no life and you're willing to sit around all day undercutting by 1c every 10 minutes that's the only real option you have for selling. Go so low that the undercutters either give up or buy you out to repost higher. If you can make a profit doing this, and you can in most cases, the 1c undercutters only have themselves to blame for setting their prices too high to begin with.

The biggest argument I hear against deep undercutting is people whining that they spent say 5k gold leveling a profession and now they can't find a way to make a profit, which is completely ridiculous considering the profit potential of AH trading.
    Unfortunately, most of these "deep undercutters" are selling Cut gems for less than the raw value... I'm still doing my daily research, but almost all rare gems I sell are raw these days.

I still make decent gold doing the ghost ore shuffle. I just don't do it as much now that I'll be doing a lot of leveling. I'm one of those guys that people hate though so my price strategy throws people off.