Thread: Priorities

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Priorities

It's nice to see they have none: http://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic

Question of the Day
    If you could rename the Imperial/Republic Fleet, what would you name them?
    At least 50% of the responses (made up number) are people yelling at them for doing something so pointless when the game is in a terrible state. I understand that Community Rep needs to continue no matter what is going on, but you would think they would have the common sense to bring up an important issue and not something like this.

Just when I think it can get no worse, it sure does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why anyone would be "that" upset over that kind of question. Remember the weekly Q&A's? Pretty much par for the course compared to them. Not to mention that yelling at them isn't going to help anything. Austin has gone through a major purge and are probably well into crunch time for the F2P conversion. I wouldn't be surprised if the fleet names are about the only community feedback wiggle room they've got.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I don't get it...what do people want their community guys to do? Do people expect them NOT to try to have fun little things like that on their social media channels from time to time?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think their community team is absolutely terrible at their jobs, but that kind of activity is pretty standard for community interaction and doesn't require any kind of significant time investment on their time.

If you want to complain about something the community team is doing, complain about the new developer Q&A's they started which are pretty much useless.

Han and Chewie didn't go dicking around and renaming space stations.

How does that feel?

Oh wait, didn't that guy already get fired?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Han and Chewie didn't go dicking around and renaming space stations.

How does that feel?

Oh wait, didn't that guy already get fired?
    Zing!

But they didn't have Facebook either : (

I'm sure they would have been on the Twitters talking mad trash all day if they had social media in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I don't get it...what do people want their community guys to do? Do people expect them NOT to try to have fun little things like that on their social media channels from time to time?
    When there are far more questions and little answers, yes. They should not be doing that. Considering HK seems like it is going to be a fiasco, they should be trying to pump it up or draw people to TFB.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    If you want to complain about something the community team is doing, complain about the new developer Q&A's they started which are pretty much useless.
    That's just the thing though. Their interaction with the only remaining base is starting to reflect overall uselessness. It's not separate. This is the time that they need to be unleashing information to the public or remaining quiet. I'm sure it's not *their* fault specifically. The suits are probably telling them to dance like monkeys. It doesn't change the fact that this is a terrible move.

@TheRealSolo Grawaghaghhh rahglllll (Translation: You totally shot first)

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    When there are far more questions and little answers, yes. They should not be doing that. Considering HK seems like it is going to be a fiasco, they should be trying to pump it up or draw people to TFB.

That's just the thing though. Their interaction with the only remaining base is starting to reflect overall uselessness. It's not separate. This is the time that they need to be unleashing information to the public or remaining quiet. I'm sure it's not *their* fault specifically. The suits are probably telling them to dance like monkeys. It doesn't change the fact that this is a terrible move.

@TheRealSolo Grawaghaghhh rahglllll (Translation: You totally shot first)
    Eh, I agree. I'm not at all a fan of how the CM's are doing their job. I'm not sure if this is their strategy or if this is being dictated by higher ups, but IMO it's harming the community. I've never been a fan of their community interaction/lack of transparency/communication, and their new community team sadly doesn't seem to be doing much to change this. That's one of the reasons I sorta think this is a strategy that they've been handed and forced to implement, rather than one they've come up with themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not been impressed with their community team since Sean left. Is anyone left in CM not a rookie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I have not been impressed with their community team since Sean left. Is anyone left in CM not a rookie?
    Is anyone left at Bioware not a rookie? I know if you have nothing nice to say, you shouldn't say anything...but I have to hope somehow cosmically my ranting about each new thing they're doing wrong shifts the universe and we have an alternate reality where this game becomes amazing.

Is anyone left at Bioware not a rookie?
    This question assumes that Bioware still exists.

I think its safe to say it is now a branch of EA.

Eh, I'd be surprised if anyone there WAS a rookie period. That's the kind of place that, even with the controversy, can pull in experienced staff. They might not be big name staff like they've had in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if almost everyone in the studio had 4+ years of experience including on AAA titles before getting their job there.

I don't get it. Is this something people should be upset about? A harmless question on the facebook page?

10+ Year Old Account
    James Ohlen and Dallas Dickinson are still in Austin aren't they? So I figure there are still some vets on the design side. Think the only community folks left are greenhorns though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I don't get it. Is this something people should be upset about? A harmless question on the facebook page?
    Harmless would be if this game was doing moderately well, promises hadn't been harped on and then not delivered, and important issues like the whole Cartel Coins/Sub B.S. were explained/apologized for.

Instead we get a comment that at best completely ignores the situation and at worst is blatantly insulting to our intelligence.

Instead we get a comment that at best completely ignores the situation and at worst is blatantly insulting to our intelligence.
    Remember when they polled us about what secondary content we wanted and like 50% of us voted for 3d space combat and like 30% voted for capital ship battles? And then they never said anything about space ever again?

Its almost like they were mad at us for not picking pazaak.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A bunch of people being upset about a slightly related topic (it's community management, so it all falls together) and venting their frustration.

I think venting in that thread/post/whatever is supremely pointless, but if I were paying a subscription and the devs were being that tight lipped I can see myself wanting to vent somewhere that the community team might read it.

MMOs are very serious business.

Harmless would be if this game was doing moderately well, promises hadn't been harped on and then not delivered, and important issues like the whole Cartel Coins/Sub B.S. were explained/apologized for.

What has one to do with the other? I rarely check their facebook page but when I do, I see random questions like that.. so it's not that this is the only communication in months or so. Haters gonna hate, no matter what the question would have been and calling a game which is perfectly playable as "being in a terrible state" you should probably get your priorities right.

At least 50% of the responses (made up number) are people yelling at them for doing something so pointless when the game is in a terrible state. I understand that Community Rep needs to continue no matter what is going on, but you would think they would have the common sense to bring up an important issue and not something like this.

That's just wrong, half of the comments ar just trolls that just don't play anymore or didn't even touched the game, yelling "Guild Wars 2" or meaningless comments. If you hate the game so much, stop playing, it isn't hard to understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Remember when they polled us about what secondary content we wanted and like 50% of us voted for 3d space combat and like 30% voted for capital ship battles? And then they never said anything about space ever again?

Its almost like they were mad at us for not picking pazaak.
    I'm sure you know that's not true.

Yes they need to give us an update on the 'super secret space project' as Bioware called it but after that poll by Stephen Reid on the official forums we've heard Bioware mention the space project 5 times. Once to say that the project was NOT the incoming 10 new space missions but something else entirely ('revolutionary and completely different pixel space' was Daniel Erickson's hint a few months back).

The last mention of the new space project was in late august. Do we need more info? Heck yes but to say they never mentioned it again is wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 12:39 PM ----------

Reading too much into facebook replies is like taking youtube comments seriously.

I personally found the question harmless. However we do need more info. We do need more clarity of info if possible lol.

There is a person dedicated to creating mediatic fluff for every MMO out there. Heck, even SWG at its lowest sub level still had some poor soul creating forum games/puzzles/questions of the day. Your obvious anger should be directed elsewhere imo. The facebook/twitter angle is made for fluff. The official website is where the meaty info should be broadcast but alas, it's sparse and often ambiguous.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 12:52 PM ----------

You're howling at the moon. Your last 40 posts or so seem to indicate that you're currently mad at BW for every single thing. Focus your anger or else risk squandering it .

Seriously though, this question was harmless. They ask crap like this often. It's not like there's no communication at all for months and then all of a sudden this question gets posed. Nope. This fluff is and has been ongoing for a long time now. Every day or 2 they post similar drivel. Regardless of what's going on with development. It's not intended to replace salient game intel. It's fluff. Non-serious fluff that many enjoy responding to. It's not my cup of tea but I actually know some who enjoy participating.

This fluff should continue imo. On Facebook. However I'd like Bioware to communicate much more often on the actual game's development/future beyond vague prophesies of greatness.

My 2 Cartel Coins.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2012-10-16 at 10:54 AM.