PC having a boat load of issues

So I sold my old computer to my friend for 200$. She has since upgraded almost everything that I gave her except the case, the GPU, the HDDs, and the Optical drive. This machine has been giving me nothing but freaking trouble.

Her new specs are

Asus M5A97 AM3+
    AMD 4100 Zambezi CPU no overclock.
    MSI 560ti Fermi
    1tb 7200 rpm Main HDD { Samsung
    { Both of these drives are partitioned into segments for separate games and OS.
    330gb 7200 rpm Secondary HDD { Seagate
    G.skill Ripjaw
    Raidmax PSU 630w
    Hyper212 Evo in Push Pull.
    Rosewill Blackbone case
    Network Adapter

The issues I've encountered having sold her the old system which she has since upgraded to have been numerous. To VGA not connected issues all the way down to the current issue of her Wireless adapter suddenly not working with her new PC. Which I've found out has been from Windows 7 64bit client so I've read.

However, during my trial and error on figuring out why her Wireless adapter wasn't working I found a new issue... Her PC randomly shut off on me when removing the USB keyboard (or mouse) from the USB slot. When I rebooted the PC I got this error message

USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!
    Computer will restart in 15 seconds.

I tried everything short of replacing the Mobo and PSU with new ones and test.
    Cmos chip
    1 ram
    Nothing plugged in but CPU, GPU (no integrated GPU), 1 ram stick, and MoBo. I still got the same error message some times. When I DIDN'T get this message, I was able to fully boot up once I plugged everything back in, and then the PC shut itself off when I tried to troubleshoot the internet connectivity issue one more time. It also did not boot back up when I hit the power button on the case. I had to physically remove the PSU cable from the PSU, and then hit the master switch on the PSU and wait for residual power to drain. Then I could plug it back in, flip the switch and turn it on. Only to have it immediately shut down when removing the KEYBOARD or MOUSE USB.

No I did not have PS-2 keyboard / mouse on me.

Last thing I noticed was that I could hear a very weird crackly sound when I plugged the PSU cable from the wall back into the PSU. It sounded like it was sparking and it wouldn't go away until completely unplugged on plugged in. That is something I have never heard before.

Is this a PSU issue? Mobo issue? What happened here? I would like immediate assistance since she needs it back in at least 4 days maximum.

It sounds like a PSU issue, but we can troubleshoot some other things first.

If the WiFi, keyboard, and/or mouse are not USB 3.0, do not plug them into USB 3.0 ports. There have been reports of all sorts of issues in Windows. It would be an easy mistake since then USB 3.0 ports are directly below the PS/2.

Have you done a fresh OS install?

If you have another PSU that you know is fully functional, I would start there before attempting to troubleshoot. If the PSU is making some strange noises, it's best not to risk frying any of her other components. Even if a spare isn't lying around, it's completely possible to pick-up a test unit for < $20.

They aren't plugged into the USB 3.0. I have triple checked that. Also the OS was a fresh install a few weeks ago and I can't even get past the BIOs before it shuts down to boot from an OS CD.

Also I don't have a spare PSU lying around at all. The only option is to buy the one she would most likely use with my own money, see if that fixes the issue and she pays me back if it does. If it doesn't I have a spare PSU finally but the issue still remains.

Raidmax is an iffy brand to me, personally. Either way, I'd buy a new PSU or find someone that will let you borrow one. If it's not too much trouble, you might consider taking the one in your rig to test with.

Realistically, I wouldn't go any further until I could rule that out.

Alright, I'm going to offer to buy a new powersupply for the task and replace it and see if it works. Should that not work and let's just assume here, what other steps can I take so I have a full days worth of activities I can perform if it isn't fixed? The whole "USB Device Over Current has been detected" makes me wonder if something short circuited on the Mobo itself (either due to PSU issues or something else) and that the Mobo is going to need to be replaced. I also don't have a spare board lying around either and it's not like those are super cheap when it comes to AM3+. Cheap as in 10$.

Thanks again JMT, will let you know how things turn out.