Straaaaaaaange Issue with WiFi

4 days ago, my computer randomly stopped accepting my own wifi. It can receive other signals (thank god for the mcdonalds next door whose interwebz I've been stealing), and my 3 roommates can access our wifi, but my stupid computer just can't connect.

Any ideas?

This might sound stupid, but have you tried restarting the router/turning the WiFi off and back on again? That always worked when the same thing happened to our old router.

Yeah, first thing I did :P

Have you tried deleting the saved wifi info manually then reconnecting? or is it not picking it up at all?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Same thing happened to me, using Verizon Fios. The fix that worked for me was manually re-entering the network information (even if it's correct). That includes the name of the network, the encryption type, and the password.

Obviously can't guarantee that this will work, but this did it for me after a few hours of fiddling around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    Yeah, first thing I did :P
    Hmmm.. Assign your computer a new IP address (not sure if correct terminology). Another device may be using the one your computer is trying to use. The windows diagnosis should do this for you, but if it doesn't, make your computer forget your current router and internet settings.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 02:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Have you tried deleting the saved wifi info manually then reconnecting? or is it not picking it up at all?
    Doing this should fix it
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    I tried finding a way to delete the saved info, buttttttt there's no option for that. It's picking it up as being there and full bars, but it just...can't...connect? Cuz it's a stupid computer.

You're probably self-assigning an IP, or just plain not finding one. As taboo as it is on this forum, are you using a mac? They have a known problem with the self-assign IP. There's a few "quick fixes" that you can find with a quick google search.

If all else fails, try contacting your ISP support line. The problem lies with both your computer and the specific router, so they generally know the best options for a fix (even if they do make you do all the stupid obvious ones first).

No mac, I'm not a heathen :P

I'll try changing my IP address, then possibly contacting ISP support.

Open a command prompt (windows+R, type cmd into the box)

Empty the DNS cache and get a new network IP address by typing:

Code:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    (hit return after each line)

Should get you back on your wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    I tried finding a way to delete the saved info, buttttttt there's no option for that. It's picking it up as being there and full bars, but it just...can't...connect? Cuz it's a stupid computer.
    (Assuming windows 7, similar for others):

Open network and sharing center >Manage Wireless networks > Select the network > Remove is at the top

Alright. I'll try the removal when I get back home, and I'll have to keep the modem disconnected for 8+ hours tonight, as last night my roommate got stoned and watched South Park on Netflix all night.

Any other things that might help?

Yeah, you got one of the fun problems. If your roomates are still able to use your wireless and you cannot connect I would have them log off, reset the wireless, then try and connect. I'm assuming it's password protected, if not, set it up. Some routers have weird problems they can encounter if multiple users connect with different protocols at the same time. b,g,n etc. even if all of the protocols are supported by the wireless. You can tweak the wireless to use strictly one protocol if needed. Also, there is a max user setting most wireless systems have buried in them. If you have more than say 6 with a constant connection, it's possible to run into problems. I always see this at work and have to be mindful because when you set up a new wifi connection the default windows property is to automatically log on when in range. You can see these when looking in the connection properties when you click on a wireless network.