Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

People can be such jerks...

Posting this topic both to vent and of inquiry. Today, whilst tanking an LFR, I all of a sudden get "Move the boss further away you (epithet)!". So I do as said, going about 10 yards back. I then get "YOU RETARD, MOVE HIM CLOSER." Okay. So I move in five yards. "Are you a (censored) moron? MOVE OUT!" Followed shortly by 'He's a (censored) retarded nub, just kick the (censored) so we can get a real tank', and am ejected shortly after. Note, all of these commands were from the raidlead so not a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, as it were.
    I find it very hurtful and irritating to be insulted repeatedly and have my competence called into question when following the given instructions for the encounter. Why do people do such things? Is it really fun to make others seem like fools when they are doing exactly as told? What could have been done differently in this situation to avoid this (The orders to tank both closer and furter simultaneously)?

People are idiots on the internet. Let it go bud.

Well, most people insult others due to low self esteem. Makes them feel better about themselves when they belittle others.

To avoid the situation, you usually need to research fights a bit more so that you know where to position mobs/bosses. Or, if you are not sure, ask BEFORE the fight starts.

grow a thick skin, deal with it, welcome to LFR

Deleted
    its LFR what do you expect ?
    Filled with mouth breathers, wannabe's and douchebags.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually only start cursing when they don't follow basic instructions - like tonight, a tank kept moving Jan'xi right up against Qin'xi and I finally had to blow up a bit to get him to listen.

Sounds like you just ran into a real dick who was pissed off about something else

Deleted
    Well, go read up on what you should have done so you can ignore people telling you what to do. It seems like you didn't know what to do, which is bad, being a tank and all. If you know what to do, you know when people give stupid 'orders' and you can just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    grow a thick skin, deal with it, welcome to LFR
    Pretty much this. What people say on the internet really shouldn't "hurt" you. Why do they matter?

You'll get that all the time in LFR.

Sorry you had a bad experience Sadly the world is full of people like this, that think treating people like that is ok.
    But thankfully not everyone playing is like that, I'd hope that was just badluck and that your next run might be different. (though I suspect you will run into these kinds of folks again).

All I can say is try not to take it to heart, I know it can be disheartening, but keep doing what you do! Don't rant back, just keep being a nice person, people respect those types more. (at least I very much do).

Perhaps try looking for more people to join LFR with, so you have a bit of back up, and also more comfortable as you have friends around you.

I would also have whispered the guy and asked asked him to be specific about what exactly he thought you should be doing and print it into raid chat. so all is clear on what has been said. So that if he started with his rubbish you would have evidence there that it is him and nto you that is being ridiculous.

Goodluck^

First boss? You have to constantly move him farther and closer. Luckily LFR is such a joke that you should just tank all 3 bosses on top of each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hate giving this as adivce, but:

Put him on ignore list (to ensure that you won't EVER see him again), and pretend it never happened. There is nothing I can see that you could have done differently, and the other person is probably just another example of 'Give a man a mask and he will say ANYTHING'.

I hope the rest of your day was/is better =)
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Well, most people insult others due to low self esteem. Makes them feel better about themselves when they belittle others.

To avoid the situation, you usually need to research fights a bit more so that you know where to position mobs/bosses. Or, if you are not sure, ask BEFORE the fight starts.
    This isn't always a fix though. Individual raid groups may do fights differently, and there are absolutely different ways of going about getting a kill. You can't expect everyone to know ONE way when walking into LFR with 24 other random players. Tanks should absolutely know the fights, but things like positioning and even handling of the mechanics can change from one group to the other.

As for OP, just let it go. Queue up with some friends or just ignore the assholes. Sorry you had a bad time, but it won't always be like that.

if you aren't 100% sure what to do as a tank, everyone will see. healers can hide, dps can hide, tanks can't. doesn't mean they were right to yell, in real life someone would pop them in the nose and they'd not yell at anyone ever again, but online there aren't repercussions for that.
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-10-16 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrKirre View Post
    Posting this topic both to vent and of inquiry. Today, whilst tanking an LFR, I all of a sudden get "Move the boss further away you (epithet)!". So I do as said, going about 10 yards back. I then get "YOU RETARD, MOVE HIM CLOSER." Okay. So I move in five yards. "Are you a (censored) moron? MOVE OUT!" Followed shortly by 'He's a (censored) retarded nub, just kick the (censored) so we can get a real tank', and am ejected shortly after. Note, all of these commands were from the raidlead so not a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, as it were.
    I find it very hurtful and irritating to be insulted repeatedly and have my competence called into question when following the given instructions for the encounter. Why do people do such things? Is it really fun to make others seem like fools when they are doing exactly as told? What could have been done differently in this situation to avoid this (The orders to tank both closer and furter simultaneously)?
    Right click, report for language. Hokey as that sounds, if you get a GM who's having a bad day, the guy might have gotten a tempban

Quote Originally Posted by Maijah View Post
    This isn't always a fix though. Individual raid groups may do fights differently, and there are absolutely different ways of going about getting a kill. You can't expect everyone to know ONE way when walking into LFR with 24 other random players. Tanks should absolutely know the fights, but things like positioning and even handling of the mechanics can change from one group to the other.
    You missed the last part of what I wrote:

Or, if you are not sure, ask BEFORE the fight starts
    People do use different tactics. If you are not sure - then ask. Or state how you plan on approaching it, and see if anyone tells you they want to do it differently.

I use that approach, and have never run into a situation like the OP in LFR or LFD. Never. Because I put the effort to discuss it before the encounter starts.

10+ Year Old Account
    its hard to differentiate sometimes, whether a person is talking about current society, or making a comparison to how we treated each other face to face BEFORE the internet came about.

of the current generation that has never lived without the faceless anonymity that is the interweb, most of them dont even know what the word respect means, much less any sense of politeness.

every year it gets worse, and there is no bottom to the cesspool, it will just get worse and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKirre View Post
    Why do people do such things?
    Why?. because the majority of players these days are self entitled "wrath baby casuals" as the saying goes (which i hate but its slightly true). meaning that everyone has a sense of entitlement, aka smacking the shit out of a loot bag boss, not allowing wipes or any margin of error whilst you figure out...a brand new boss with brand new mechanics.

and i dont think you should let it go OP, get mad...the more people who are aware of the cry baby quick to anger players the better, brings the spotlight on them, instead of those who yell the loudest getting the spotlight

Regardless, a lot of people don't like being insulted like that. It ruins the game for others. It's just a game and some people take it way too seriously. If this was a hardcore guild, then yes, understandable because that is where everyone needs to be at the top of their game, but this is LFR for goodness sakes. lol. All you can do is report them and just move on from it. But it is understandable. Some people can handle things to where it rolls of their back and they don't care, others do get hurt by it. Everyone is different.

Deleted
    Welcome to the Internet ?

Deleted
    Take comfort in the fact they're probably compensating for being nobodies in the real world so they take their frustrations to the internet where they can hide like the cowards they are and let it out on innocent strangers

Also, /ignore so you never meet them again and if they used abusive language report them so they can get a nice little ban which will probably really get to them

In my opinion you shouldn't even ask what you could have done to avoid it because no matter how you tanked that boss it never justifies verbal abuse. The correct question is what is wrong with these people