MX cherry blue vs brown

So, last time i changed from blue were due you had to press the button all the way down release it all the way up and so on which were pretty disturbing so i were wondering if browns are better? i heard you only need to press them down like 20% cause blue ones usually dont register for spells for me as im not releasing the button all the way up as im not used to mechanical keyboards but it feels better to use one so i want to try out brown, anyone that can give me some tips which one i should get? I had a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate which i refunded cause of buttons not registering..[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 01:43 PM ----------

So noone knows i guess?
    Last edited by Reckhx; 2012-10-16 at 01:43 PM.

You don't have to push any Cherry switch all the way down. They've all got a 4mm travel and actuate after being depressed 2mm. You also don't have to release them all the way before they can reactuate; most of their release points are just a hair beyond their actuation point. The exception is the blue switch, which has to come up slightly higher than the other switches to release (but still far from their resting position).

If you're having trouble acclimating to blue switches, I don't think the browns will fare much better. They'll actually feel pretty similar. Mostly you'll just lose the actuation click and they'll be a little easier to float for spamming input. Still, if you've got the choice you'd probably be best off with brown switches.

I don't know if you're put off by the one you got, but the non-backlit BlackWidows are actually a pretty good deal. The Stealth Edition uses Cherry MX browns, so that's an option. If you want to steer clear of Razer, some other well priced mechanicals are the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (no numpad but a great keyboard) and the Rosewill RK-9000 (not marketed as a gaming board, so no macros or other frills). I believe both of those come in all four switch types.

Deleted
    I guess it's up to personal taste. I really like the Blue switches, both for their sound and for their actuation force and release.

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    You don't have to push any Cherry switch all the way down. They've all got a 4mm travel and actuate after being depressed 2mm. You also don't have to release them all the way before they can reactuate; most of their release points are just a hair beyond their actuation point. The exception is the blue switch, which has to come up slightly higher than the other switches to release (but still far from their resting position).

If you're having trouble acclimating to blue switches, I don't think the browns will fare much better. They'll actually feel pretty similar. Mostly you'll just lose the actuation click and they'll be a little easier to float for spamming input. Still, if you've got the choice you'd probably be best off with brown switches.

I don't know if you're put off by the one you got, but the non-backlit BlackWidows are actually a pretty good deal. The Stealth Edition uses Cherry MX browns, so that's an option. If you want to steer clear of Razer, some other well priced mechanicals are the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (no numpad but a great keyboard) and the Rosewill RK-9000 (not marketed as a gaming board, so no macros or other frills). I believe both of those come in all four switch types.
    Thanks for the awesome reply <3. I had a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with Blue switches but it feelt like i had to release it all the way up as my spells and while typing i miss some letters cause the buttons does not get released correctly, i might try out CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Brown i think. Also the sound isn't a issue for me only issue is that i don't want to release/press the buttons ALL the way down/up to be able to use it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It was explained pretty well above, but I was going to interject and ask if you have tried other switches?

I have a Corsair K90 (Reds) and it feels quite fantastic with minimal travel needed to actually activate. They are linear force, like the black switches.

There is a guide out there about the different types of switches, and I would suggest to take a peek at it.

After a quick google search, here it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Should get the Reds. I have Red (RK9000) and Blue (CM QuickFire) and will be getting the Brown (probably another RK9000) as well. My typo rate went up on the RK9000 but for gaming it is excellent. If you are accurate with key presses you probably won't have the typo issues. I use the CM with my workstation at home. Thinking of getting a Brown for the office.