Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    It depends on what part of childhood we're talking about

4 to like 12 I played with toys and video games alot, and was taught martial arts if you wanna count that.

12 through 17 more video games, less toys, and alot of skateboarding

I don't think whether or not a kid plays on a sports team is the most important thing like you make it out to be. My dad tried to get me to play baseball but I wasn't into it. You can try but a person is who they are and won't take to something they don't want to do.

As for what kind of kids I'm going to raise? I will probably make attempts to get them into football and/or wrestling, because with my genes they would excel at it. Ironicly I was always the smallest kid in my school classes growing up. But by adulthood I'm 6'2 and 240 pounds. So my kids, with those genetics, would do well to play football or to wrestle and hopefully get me rich in the future :P

I also think it's important to teach my future kids about music. I don't want my kids listening to garbage like whoever the Nicki Minaj's of the future are. Ideally my kids will have an appreciation for metal/rock music and play instruments like me.

But more importantly I will teach them truly important things. To think for themselves. That self-worth is all that matters, not other peoples opinions. To stand up for themselves. To be who they want to be no matter what others think. Etc.

And that be who you want to be no matter what others thinks include me, their own father. If they for some reason are adamant that they hate sports and like terrible music...... then I will respect their bullshit and not force them to do anything they don't want to do. Of course I'd be dissapointed and still occasionally suggest change to them but would never force them to do anything they don't want to. That's just wrong.
    I will bold this for truth. Aside from the crap that is produced lately (2000-2012) that is almost 95% computer created, I respect anyone who loves music. From the moment I get in my vehicle to drive to work till I go to bed, I have music playing.

I can't help but crack a smile when one of the kids I coach tells me he liked the song I had playing (Rage Against The Machine).

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I played soccer as a very small child, but I was never involved in high school sports. I was pretty much the opposite of obese, and I was pretty involved in Drama, and I did some fencing outside of school for a while during high school. But I certainly wouldn't call myself a "jock" type. I also worked for 6 months of my senior year at a Barnes & Noble Cafe.

Basically, I decry the idea that to be an active kid, you had to be involved in sports. There are a lot of ways to be active.

I would certainly want my future child to be more active, but I'd let them choose how they want to pursue that. If that means they want to be in Speech/Debate, or they want to be on the Football Team, or Drama Club, or Band, or Volunteerism, whatever. It doesn't have to be sports. I wouldn't be happy with a kid who never left the house except for school though.
    Wasn't 100% what I meant, but to put every exception would take forever. If you grew up outside on your bike, playing in mud and spent all day at the park/pool then good on you.

I literally mean kids who sit around all day and do nothing.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    People that I have met that play sports are usually abrasive, nasty people that are overconfident in themselves. They're also utterly oblivious to anything outside of that sport and their immediate friend circle; basically what that means is that they're dumb, like, people who think empire state building is what got attacked on 9/11 dumb.

I really don't see the point of this thread; is it some sort of glorification of kids that play sports? And dissing everyone else as if they're all lazy and no other hobby or activity can be as "good" for a child as sports can? How narrow minded are you?

I would raise my kid to follow his or her own interest and not push my child into sports because "sportskids are better" somehow that others.
    People that I have met that play WoW are usually abrasive, nasty people that are overconfident in themselves. They're also utterly oblivious to anything outside of WoW and their immediate friend circle.

See what I did there? I'm glad you can stereotype one huge group of people into 1 sentence based on your personal experience. Aside from being bullied by the school jocks do you have any other connection with children who play sports these days?

I can guarantee you every kid I coach this year would be one of the nicest and thoughtful kids you've ever met.

The point of this thread is for intelligent discussion, which you seem unable to partake in. If you can't post something useful to the thread, go continue to sulk in the corner over how you were bullied in school by someone who played sports.

I never played any sport because I always found it boring and simply, no sport interested me and still doesn't interest me. I always found art way more interesting. The only exercise I do are sit-ups and stuff in school..
    I am and never was neither chubby/fat, nor spoiled. I am kind of lazy but I do get stuff done (just in my way ). And I got semi-lazy at the age of... 13?

--edit--

Whether the child is chubby/fat or spoiled, is often the parents fault. They treat it wrongly, as their child is all "cute and boodie-boow" and gets the best of the best stuff. The child gets used to it, and then parents will blame everything but themselves.
    Last edited by Levicopter; 2012-10-16 at 06:13 PM.

Every generation thinks that the new music from the next generation is crap.

Maybe we should just go back to classical music?

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Question #1, Short version: I was very interested in dance and gymnastics, and further explored that as I was growing up. I had a somewhat troubled childhood and adolescence. However, abuse played a pretty damn big role in all of that.

Question #2: I plan on raising said child(children) to pursue what they want to do, I plan on being there and supporting 'em, but to also lend a guiding hand, and even being active with them, when applicable.

Also, most of your words, outside the questions themselves, are just a tad ignorant.
    Point taken, but again, I made it quite clear there are thousands of exceptions to what I posted.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Many trouble makers do / did play sports...

Saying that gamers are trouble makers and athletes are saints?

LOL
    Thank you for reading my entire post. I'm glad rather than give me an answer I didn't list, you decided to waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post

Thank you for reading my entire post. I'm glad rather than give me an answer I didn't list, you decided to waste my time.
    Such a biased question does not warrent an answer.

Such a biased question does not warrent an answer.
    Thank you for reading my post. I made it quite clear in the VERY FIRST LINE I was biased.

Go back to school so you can develop some reading skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to play football (soccer.. for you americans) age - 7-12, than I stopped. It got boring. I used to be very agressive, now I'm so calm people think i'm weird.

18 years old at the moment and I play LOADS of video games, it's my passion and i'm hoping I can continue gaming the rest of my life.

Thank you for reading my post. I made it quite clear in the VERY FIRST LINE I was biased.

Go back to school so you can develop some reading skills.
    I could care less if your biased...

I am saying the QUESTION is biased. Maybe you need some classes as well?

Biased Question: Who would you rather vote for? A lazy, lying, no good Republican or a good upstanding Democrat?

See the issue?

So before this starts, I want to say I'm quite biased towards one group. I also am aware there are other "groups" that you might have fit in, but we'll keep it to two groups.

Question #1 - What kind of kid were/are you?

Kids who played sports - I'm talking about the kids who played sports from the age of 4 up till they finished highschool, or even continue to play until this day. I coach a (competitive, rep, travel, provincial, whatever you want to call it) basketball team and over the last 3 years I've had kids who were so dedicated to their sport, they literally live and breathe basketball. Not to mention the most important part of it all, they're in amazing shape. So aside from their dedication and the obvious health benefits of playing sports, I'm a firm believer that anyone who played sports while growing up were exposed to several positive life changing experiences. Playing sports gives a child confidence, teaches them good sportsmanship, teaches them to work hard for things they want, sometimes develops a leader out of someone, develops GREAT friendships with other kids they play their sport with every week, and the list goes on.

Kids who didn't play sports - No offense to anyone who didn't play a sport growing up, but what I see these days is 2 things. Any child I am in contact with who doesn't play sports is 1) chubby/overweight/obese, 2) lazy and/or 3) spoiled. Not to say kids who play sports aren't spoiled, but I've seen more from the 2nd group. These kids sit around at home all day playing video games, rotting their brain out over TV, get into mischief because they have nothing else to occupy their time with.

Question #2 - What kind of kid would you or have you raised?

Would you want a kid who stays active and out of trouble, or a kid who is lazy and sits around the house all day?

------

I think it's obvious which group in Q1 I'm biased towards. As a kid I started playing basketball at the age of 6, and haven't looked back (24 now). There are so many great memories I have from basketball that I wouldn't trade them for anything.
    You should take a side job as a pastor at your local church. You've got that judging, delusional bigoted mentality that goes with it.

Every generation thinks that the new music from the next generation is crap.

Maybe we should just go back to classical music?
    dont talk about that crap, throat singing & drums is the real old school.

I was a human child.

Also your whole thread premise is stupid.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I was a human child.

Also your whole thread premise is stupid.
    Shhh.. He doesn't like when people call him out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Shhh.. He doesn't like when people call him out on that.
    They're are only 2 type of people in this world, shithead jocks and not shithead jocks.

/end summation of thread premise.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Point taken, but again, I made it quite clear there are thousands of exceptions to what I posted.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 03:12 PM ----------

Sad truth here, if you want your kids to be healthily as children then do so, but do not assume that this will make them better people as adults. I was raised to be an athlete. and until I was 30 I was always physically fit. After I turned 30, I ended up doing mostly indoor work and gained weight. I am now effectively 75lbs over weight. So being athletic as a child did not prevent me from becoming fat, it just took longer.

As for socially acceptable behavior this is subject to DNA, personality traits, and induced behaviors from the environment. You can not actually control these factors as much as you wish. My only suggestion is to always treat your child with love and respect no matter how they turn out.

I played baseball and ran track and of the people that got in trouble when I was in high school, most of them played basketball, football or baseball. So whatever your experience is with non-sports persons getting into mischief I'm guessing it's just your personal experience. I don't know about laziness or playing video games all day, but sports definitely does not stop people from getting in trouble. In fact, in a lot of smaller towns that are gung ho for football, the star football players can get away with just about anything short of murder.

I have 2 children now and I make it a point to get them outside when I'm home on the weekends so we can do some type of exercise. They are still young, but my wife doesn't let them watch TV during the day. They are either doing something physical outside or playing some type of learning game inside. After I get home and we've had dinner we'll either watch an hour of TV or go outside and play if it's nice out. They don't play video games and I don't play video games while they're awake. Will things change as they get older? I don't know, but the staying active thing has little to do with my desire to keep them out of trouble. I just want them to be healthy.

As for your bias, I still don't understand where you get the idea that sports keep people out of trouble. How many times have you seen professional sports persons get arrested? And what happens to them most of the time? They issue an apology, get a fine that is so paltry compared to their salary that it would be like fining an average American a penny for breaking the law, and then continue on playing for their team. That type of crap just encourages young people to do bad things because if they're good enough at sports they don't have to worry about consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question one: I was the type of kid who played sports and played outside all my life and in my spare time played the computer none stop,now i am still athletic and most of my jobs consist of typing on computers or testing games so either way it didnt affect me.

Question two: I have 3 kids,my son loves to stay in and play on the computer who is 5 but he also gets bored and goes to play every now and again,he is also healthy and good at sports for his age,my daughter loves tv but loves to play outside so she is different she is 4,my newest daughter is only 4 months so too soon to tell but she is oddly unresponsive during adverts lol.

Either way a balance between outgoing and staying indoors can produce healthy active kids still. It just depends on alot of different factors like food and social life etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi, I'm 5 foot 5 and I weight 85 pounds, I played soccer for 2 years. I must be overweight. I should probably lose 80ish pounds.

Deleted
    What the hell? I hated sports because we always did the same thing constantly in school and my mother didn't drive when I was a child, so couldn't go to any clubs. I loved gymnastics though, and would have done anything as a child to actually do it (sadly, girl only activity in school). However, I was not fat nor was i spoiled (single parent raising two children, kinda hard to be spoiled there). Honestly, your questions are rather biased and stupid.

If I ever had children, I would let them be who they are. If they liked sports I'd support them all the way. However I know that not everyone likes sports, so if they wanted to stay at home and just play with their friends or w/e I'd allow it. I certainly wouldn't spoil them though, I've seen how retarded spoiled brats can become.