10+ Year Old Account

How will this play in RIFT?

I will be building a new computer soon. I wanted to know how this would run in RIFT on ultra with super sampling, full shadows, and 16x ansiotropic (I think that's how it's spelled). Also. . . does anyone have any personal experience with this setup or a similar one? How long will the loading times be w/ the SSD?

CPU - i5 3570
    GPU - Radeon 7950
    SSD - Samsung 830 Series 256gb

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I will be building a new computer soon. I wanted to know how this would run in RIFT on ultra with super sampling, full shadows, and 16x ansiotropic (I think that's how it's spelled). Also. . . does anyone have any personal experience with this setup or a similar one? How long will the loading times be w/ the SSD?

CPU - i5 3570
    GPU - Radeon 7950
    Anisotropic =P

Anecdotal evidence suggests Nvidia performs better than Radeon. The SSD will reduce load screen times, but you'll see little benefit otherwise probably 3-5 seconds, depending on what zones you're loading into. The 3570 will do you well.

I average about 30 fps in most zones at most times with an i5-2500k, 128 crucial m4, and an nvidia 560ti. I've turned down antialiasing to edge smoothing, environmental shadows (only) and Aniso set to 2. Everything else is maxed. I've messed with the settings and this seems like the best combination without losing much (for me).

You see my setup with a 570 and i used default ultra, and changed supersampling to Smooth edges and i've not dropped below 50 FPS usually over 60 and 1080 reso.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

15+ Year Old Account

CPU - i5 3570
    GPU - Radeon 7950
    I'm not that familiar with radeon as a rule (intel and nvidia all the way for me), So i'm not sure how my just-built new rig compares to what you are looking at, but for the sake of reference i will list specs and what i see as performance:

CPU: i7 3770k
    GPU: Geforce Gtx 690 (4GB iirc)
    SSD: i forget what specific brand and model off the top of my head, but a 128gb ssd.
    16GB RAM

I Run with all settings maxed out including 16x AF, Supersampling, full shadows, etc etc @ 1920x1080 resolution. I experience a constant 60+ fps in all areas of everything i have done in rift since i got it. I get a bit less in meridian (~45fps), though this is during peak hours on Derpwood. Load times with the SSD are excellent (you still get a slight hang @ 93/94%, but it's only a couple seconds at most). For the sake of fullest information value i will also note that my cpu + gpu never actually heat up enough to trigger a fan speed increase no matter what i have done with rift. or any other game. (only time i could cause enough heat to speed up the fans beyond the idle speed was ultra skyrim with high res textures and a ton of graphical enhancement mods).

I hope this information is helpful to you OP

For your radeon card, make sure you have the latest supported diver as well as the profile updates.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Anisotropic =P

Anecdotal evidence suggests Nvidia performs better than Radeon. The SSD will reduce load screen times, but you'll see little benefit otherwise probably 3-5 seconds, depending on what zones you're loading into. The 3570 will do you well.

I average about 30 fps in most zones at most times with an i5-2500k, 128 crucial m4, and an nvidia 560ti. I've turned down antialiasing to edge smoothing, environmental shadows (only) and Aniso set to 2. Everything else is maxed. I've messed with the settings and this seems like the best combination without losing much (for me).
    I have nearly an identical system, but OC'd my CPU by about 35% and my GPU by about 10-15% and don't max my shit out, because I like to see above 30fps as often as possible. :P

inb4 new city bahahahahahahahaa

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 04:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zarasai View Post
    I'm not that familiar with radeon as a rule (intel and nvidia all the way for me), So i'm not sure how my just-built new rig compares to what you are looking at, but for the sake of reference i will list specs and what i see as performance:

CPU: i7 3770k
    GPU: Geforce Gtx 690 (4GB iirc)
    SSD: i forget what specific brand and model off the top of my head, but a 128gb ssd.
    16GB RAM
    If you don't know the capabilities of your GPU then that's kind of bad, or the reason you'd want to get an i7 instead of going for an i5 and saving $100, but it looks like you probably had money to blow, anyways.

Your system should run Rift maxed out, and 1920x1080 is a very low resolution for a GTX 690, as it is, you're wasting an enormously powerful GPU. What you should do is either up to a 2560x1440/1600 display or get two other 1920x1080 displays and go triple screen. Single 1080p on a 690 is just a waste of money, I'm sorry but that's the truth.

/hardcore computer nerd :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    So Deltrus, how would my system run? Would a GTX660ti perform better with RIFT than a 7950? Thank you in advance for the response. I am in class atm, ttyl!

Also: How would my framerate be in Sanctum on Deepwood be at a normal time of day? (w/ the cpu+gpu combo)
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-10-17 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Deltrus, how would my system run? Would a GTX660ti perform better with RIFT than a 7950? Thank you in advance for the response. I am in class atm, ttyl!

Also: How would my framerate be in Sanctum on Deepwood be at a normal time of day? (w/ the cpu+gpu combo)
    I personally think you're better off getting a 7950, than a 660 Ti, for a multitude of reasons, some being more VRAM, more monitors supported, higher-end chip, higher membus....

And your fps, depending on how crowded it is and your graphics settings will likely range from 30-45~. Rift is just a very very demanding game.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have nearly an identical system, but OC'd my CPU by about 35% and my GPU by about 10-15% and don't max my shit out, because I like to see above 30fps as often as possible. :P

inb4 new city bahahahahahahahaa

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 04:46 AM ----------

If you don't know the capabilities of your GPU then that's kind of bad, or the reason you'd want to get an i7 instead of going for an i5 and saving $100, but it looks like you probably had money to blow, anyways.

Your system should run Rift maxed out, and 1920x1080 is a very low resolution for a GTX 690, as it is, you're wasting an enormously powerful GPU. What you should do is either up to a 2560x1440/1600 display or get two other 1920x1080 displays and go triple screen. Single 1080p on a 690 is just a waste of money, I'm sorry but that's the truth.

/hardcore computer nerd :P
    1920x1080 is simply the native resolution for my current monitor. It is my intention to run triple screen (system was built with that in mind), but that'll be closer to christmas after i deal with some unexpected expenses that came up right after I paid for the new rig itself. it is running rift and everything else maxed out with no issues at the present time (as one would expect)

10+ Year Old Account
    1920x1080 is simply the native resolution for my current monitor. It is my intention to run triple screen (system was built with that in mind), but that'll be closer to christmas after i deal with some unexpected expenses that came up right after I paid for the new rig itself. it is running rift and everything else maxed out with no issues at the present time (as one would expect)
    Ahh, good stuff good stuff. Wouldn't want a 690 to go to waste.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ahh, good stuff good stuff. Wouldn't want a 690 to go to waste.
    oh i know. it's looking like new multiple/larger monitors are going to be my christmas gift to myself

oh i know. it's looking like new multiple/larger monitors are going to be my christmas gift to myself
    You could probably provide video to all of Times Square with that monster.

Can i get some help with overclocking? i have a program that came with my motherboard that overclocked my cpu nicely to 4 ghz. I am now trying to do it with my graphics card. Im using MSI afterburner. Any tips on how to do this? thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    Can i get some help with overclocking? i have a program that came with my motherboard that overclocked my cpu nicely to 4 ghz. I am now trying to do it with my graphics card. Im using MSI afterburner. Any tips on how to do this? thanks!
    Be gentle, use 3DMark 11 and Unigine Heaven 3.0 to test out stability. I'd say Google search for what the max healthy voltage is on your card so you don't go above that, and go up in increments as you up your core clock and possibly VRAM/memory clock. (Shader will always be double of Core.)

Just be ready to cut the power to your computer very fast. ;p
    "A flower.