10+ Year Old Account

Prot Paladin Gemming

I'm just curious how we should be gemming at the moment. I know we shouldn't go straight stamina, but I'm a little confused on other choices we should be making.

Deleted
    Hit 7.5%
    Expertise 15%
    Mastery or haste.
    We yet enough stam from gear, no need to gem for it. If you find that you are severely lacking in hp then you can elect to use a stam trinket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Hit 7.5%
    Expertise 15%
    Mastery or haste.
    We yet enough stam from gear, no need to gem for it. If you find that you are severely lacking in hp then you can elect to use a stam trinket.
    Depends on what content you're doing, as to gemming haste I don't understand why you'd do that, I'm pretty sure most Paladins agreed we couln't reach the point where haste would actually be proper beneficial without sacrificing too many stats until later.

If you're pursuing heroic modes it's generally a good idea to gem stamina at the start of an expansion to make up for the lack of gear you might have so that we can actually survive without heals for a while.

My gems are a bit of a mess atm just grabbing whatever was in the gbank. But I'd probably be gemming stamina | stamina/exp | exp/mastery

and have reforging prio of Hit(cap)>Exp(hardcap)>Mastery

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebot View Post
    as to gemming haste I don't understand why you'd do that, I'm pretty sure most Paladins agreed we couln't reach the point where haste would actually be proper beneficial without sacrificing too many stats until later.
    As far as I know, the simulations showing that haste was almost equal to mastery were done with T14 heroic gear, which, while it may not be obtainable immediately, does mean that stacking haste should be viable during this tier.

That said, I would personally advise going with mastery after the hit and expertise caps until you're comfortable with your survival. If you reach the point where you feel like you can survive okay without the passive mitigation from block, then try stacking haste.

Stacking haste over mastery is much more beneficial due to the double roll system. I would rather have a CD of one of my HoPo generators come off CD much sooner than hoping that I block an attack. Sure, I may only get 5-6 more per fight, but that's still 5-6 more HoPo that I can bank on.
    Can't have a crusade without crusader aura.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shetan View Post
    Stacking haste over mastery is much more beneficial due to the double roll system. I would rather have a CD of one of my HoPo generators come off CD much sooner than hoping that I block an attack. Sure, I may only get 5-6 more per fight, but that's still 5-6 more HoPo that I can bank on.
    If mastery was just block chance, I'd agree with you, but it improves our active mitigation spells as well. Choosing between mastery and haste is basically choosing between improving active and passive mitigation and improving active mitigation and damage output. That little bit of block you get from stacking mastery may not mean much by itself, but as part of the total package it's a nice bonus if improving survival is still your top priority.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I cap out my hit and expertise first to ensure I land all Holy Power generating abilities. That way I can keep Shield of the Righteous up as much as possible.
    Some say to get Haste for the faster cooldown on your generators but I prefer Mastery.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shetan View Post
    Not quite true.

Anyway, the idea is DAMAGE SMOOTHING and haste and mastery do that in equal proportions. Mastery also reduces the total damage we take ever so slightly more than haste (whilst preserving similar smoothing) and haste increases our dps. Why you've made an anti mastery post and then checking your armory you have gone for the mastery way of doing things, confuses the fuck outta me

Anyway for gemming, just go about it following the stat priority and then prioritise what ones you put in what sockets to maximise getting the stats you want in the biggest quantities.

Hit (7.5%) > Exp (15%) > Mastery (or haste) > Haste (or mastery if you had this before) > Parry > Dodge
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.