Who will be the villains in future patches of Storm Legion [minor spoiler]?

From this video:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-pla...legion20121016

It appears there is a Regulos and a Crucia raid.

While I'd imagine the Regulos encounter ends with killing some non-binding manifestation, I'm shocked to see Crucia available for defeat right from the get-go of the expansion.

Of course is there really any reason to believe that Regulos is the ultimate bad guy in the lore? With the exception of his prominence in the opening videos and starting areas I don't have much to go on that he is really the ultimate bad guy. He is only from the plane of death, and I don't recall death being any more important or menacing than the other planar riff raff. Perhaps he gets eight-sixxed before Crucia does.

I'm concerned that the dragons will all be dead before the first content patch for Storm Legion. Perhaps the dragons aren't really the ultimate evils afterall. I did hear some rumors about being able to enter the planes themselves, by a Trion employee or two. I wonder what greater evils lurk there. For example, there are still invasions from life creatures even with Greenscale dead and so on.

Any thoughts about the future of villainy in Rift?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    $5 says we take back the Infinity Gate and travel to the plane of air
    Before or after slaying Crucia?

In the recent Gamespot video, it was mentioned that Regulos is trying to manifest on Telara but will be driven back by players. It has also been confirmed that the regulos raid will not be an introductory raid but rather an intermediate tier raid (think HK, rather than ROS). No idea what tier raid the Crucia raid is, but it would not surprise me if it is intended to be a final tier raid rather than introductory content as well. Fear not for this expansion, devs can work ahead.

That being said, the blood storm is an manifestation of planar destruction, rather than an ultimate evil - defeating any of the blood storm gods will only mean they get replaced by another avatar. Moreover, the existential questions of 'who/why are the ascended and what is their purpose?' and 'what are orphael's motivations?' and 'are the vigil actually good guys?' and 'are ascended inherently more valuable than the natural denizens of telara (or the other planes!)... are the ASCENDED good guys?' are pretty effectively unanswered at the moment.

It's clear that we will be going to the planes at some point, probably not in this expansion, but for what purpose? To gain power? To protect Telara? to achieve dominance over lesser creatures? It would not surprise me to see future raids feature ascended as bosses. I also expect that we'll get an earful of lore in SL that will indicate the origins of the blood storm and what other mighty evils lay in wait beyond the infinity gate.

I like how you spoiler the 2 villains then in your next sentence discuss your thoughts on them being encounters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    I like how you spoiler the 2 villains then in your next sentence discuss your thoughts on them being encounters.
    In the spoiler I put what sort of encounters they are. There are many types in Rift.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Before or after slaying Crucia?
    Ahhh! That's the thing though, who is to say we are going to slay her?

Trion might just go all Blizzard on us. ;p Hell they've already retconned Atrophinious how many bloody times?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ahhh! That's the thing though, who is to say we are going to slay her?

Trion might just go all Blizzard on us. ;p Hell they've already retconned Atrophinious how many bloody times?
    Every epic game needs a reoccurring comic relief minor villains like Ultros, Gilgamesh, and the Turks. Astrophinious fits that role perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Every epic game needs a reoccurring comic relief minor villains like Ultros, Gilgamesh, and the Turks. Astrophinious fits that role perfectly.
    Yes and frankly, I imagine we won't be fully killing Crucia or Regulos in these first raids.
    "A flower.

I'm okay if they return, as long as it isn't half-assed.

Like Kael'Thas. We KILLED him in The Eye, cut off his head, and gave it to a dude in Shattrath. He was DEAD. Yet they brought him back.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post

Like Kael'Thas. We KILLED him in The Eye, cut off his head, and gave it to a dude in Shattrath. He was DEAD. Yet they brought him back.
    Heh, bring them back, but give them an Al Pacino moment.

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    My reading of the situation is that they are getting rid of the dragon story lines and bringing on something completely new in the future. They have run their course, I think and there is so much potential for new things; Telara is clearly a fragmented world prone to countless threats from the planes and if chocolate (it will stick) Rift has proven anything, a single continent had so much lore independent of the newly introduced Dusken and Brevane.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    My reading of the situation is that they are getting rid of the dragon story lines and bringing on something completely new in the future. They have run their course, I think and there is so much potential for new things; Telara is clearly a fragmented world prone to countless threats from the planes and if chocolate (it will stick) Rift has proven anything, a single continent had so much lore independent of the newly introduced Dusken and Brevane.
    I hope it doesn't involve taking down a corrupt god. The elemental dragons as bad guys already blurs with the lore of Guild Wars enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I don't want to see the dragons phased out.... at least not yet. I'd really like to see them band back together into the full Blood Legion and fight against the Ascended, as perhaps their final fight. Picking them off one by one and then us being like "well, boy, aren't we lucky they were not working together!!! teehee!" just seems too weak. Have the dragons have a revelation that unless they band together, they obviously stand no chance, have Regulos bring back the other dragons (he is the master of death) to their fullest strength and pit us against them, AS A GROUP.

You can just imagine, that shit would be EPIC.
    "A flower.