Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quick update: the fix for light of the cosmos is live. It should now rank higher in your lists, and you can also find it on our trinket proc page now: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/trinkets/magefrost

    If you don't see it, try refreshing the page. If you still don't see it, you might need to clear your cache.

    Thanks again for pointing out the bug
    Last edited by Zoopercat; 2012-10-19 at 01:18 AM.
    Optimize your gear on AskMrRobot.com
    From Mr. Robot: Find the best gear in your bags, help & faq, and Preview our combat log tool.
    Mr. Robot is also on Twitter

  2. #42
    So, last night I got Light of the Cosmos (LFR) and happily replaced my Mithril Wristwatch with it. proceeded to swap Frost Bomb with Nether Tempest and gave that a try. It took me a couple of dungeons to get comfortable with having an instant DoT I can put everywhere. That said, it really felt awkward. I would have stretches with no FFB procs, and then suddenly get 2 or 3 in a row and waste procs. I couldn't get to the dps levels I was having with Frost Bomb. I then tried Living Bomb, it was better than Nether Tempest but still didn't feel right. I have gone back to the Mithril Watch and Frost Bomb for now. I can see an appreciable dps increase when doing so both on trash packs and single target on bosses.

    One thing that jumped at me when I went back to my old setup was how many more FoF charges I was getting! I was focusing so much on my FFB procs and keeping the DoT that I didn't notice at first, but I went back to try Living Bomb and sure enough I was starving for FoF procs. Now, this may be just coincidence with bad RNG, but I suspect that the new playstyle with keeping DoTs is affecting this. I am not casting nearly as many Frostbolts as in the other setup.

    TL;DR The trinket may be BiS according to the math, but in practice I find myself doing much better sticking with Frost Bomb.

  3. #43
    The Patient Torian kel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    French Empire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    So, last night I got Light of the Cosmos (LFR) and happily replaced my Mithril Wristwatch with it. proceeded to swap Frost Bomb with Nether Tempest and gave that a try. It took me a couple of dungeons to get comfortable with having an instant DoT I can put everywhere. That said, it really felt awkward. I would have stretches with no FFB procs, and then suddenly get 2 or 3 in a row and waste procs. I couldn't get to the dps levels I was having with Frost Bomb. I then tried Living Bomb, it was better than Nether Tempest but still didn't feel right. I have gone back to the Mithril Watch and Frost Bomb for now. I can see an appreciable dps increase when doing so both on trash packs and single target on bosses.

    One thing that jumped at me when I went back to my old setup was how many more FoF charges I was getting! I was focusing so much on my FFB procs and keeping the DoT that I didn't notice at first, but I went back to try Living Bomb and sure enough I was starving for FoF procs. Now, this may be just coincidence with bad RNG, but I suspect that the new playstyle with keeping DoTs is affecting this. I am not casting nearly as many Frostbolts as in the other setup.

    TL;DR The trinket may be BiS according to the math, but in practice I find myself doing much better sticking with Frost Bomb.

    You should try it out more. Not only is it much, much, much better than the pocketwatch, using LB is much better than frostbomb. They are equal in term of dps, but living bomb as been calculated (see icy veins) to be slithly above in terms of ffb procs than NT or Frost Bomb. After more than a month of raiding and dongeoning, I can confirm that. Moreover, everytime a fight involves more than one target, you can double or triple cast it (instant is so much more easier to apply to a rotation than the annoying cast of frost bomb), making you proc ffb like crazy (well, more than usual anyway), and raising your dps. When both or three of your targets are close to each other, it's with a big grin that you'll see your three bombs exploding together for 40-80k / explosion.

    I highly recommand you to try out again both the trinket and lb, and i assure you you'll see in increase in dps.
    Retired mage Toriankel from <New Hope>, Ysondre, EU. Realm 3rd, EU 202, West 326. T14 [16/16 HM]; T15 [13/13 HM]; T16 [11/14 HM].
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/characte...riankel/simple

  4. #44
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/BW
    Posts
    901
    If you prefer frost bomb (like me), try Flashfrozen Resin Globule and use it together with Alter Time. Don´t use the Trinket on Cooldown, try to extend the duration everytime with Alter Time for increased overall uptime (I use the Trinket together with AT in a macro). There might be a slight uptime improvement by using the Trinket 19s before activating Alter Time, but you never know what can happen etc.

    Uptime without AT: 25 x 100 / 150 = 16,6%
    Int gain without AT per second: 4232 x 25 / 150 = 705 Int (+ 847 Hit)

    Uptime with AT: 31 x 100 / 180 = 17,2%
    Int gain with AT per second: 4232 x 31 / 180 = 728 Int (+847 Hit)

    I always try to get 2 FoF proccs and 1 BF proc toghether with as much int/haste whatever procs as possible with Alter TIme.
    Together with AT its an insane burst and effective use of a Trinket.

    Simcraft showed me Flashfrozen Resin Globule stronger in most situations than
    Blossom of Pure Snow (the crit proc is less strongly for frost)

    You really can´t loose with that trinket. For example:

    If the Boss dies 40 seconds after another activation with alter Time you gain for that period:

    4232 x 31 / 40 = 3279,8 Intellect execute-like

    If the boss dies before the next activation, your gain of your last activation just increases.

    I think I will keep it till Essence of Terror

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenpete View Post
    If you prefer frost bomb (like me), try Flashfrozen Resin Globule and use it together with Alter Time. Don´t use the Trinket on Cooldown, try to extend the duration everytime with Alter Time for increased overall uptime (I use the Trinket together with AT in a macro). There might be a slight uptime improvement by using the Trinket 19s before activating Alter Time, but you never know what can happen etc.
    Actually Flashfrozen Resin Globule is my other trinket
    My debate is whether to pair it with Mithril Wristwatch or Light of the Cosmos. I still don't get why they had to make LotC proc on DoTs only. I am really not digging the DoT bombs.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 12:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    You should try it out more. Not only is it much, much, much better than the pocketwatch, using LB is much better than frostbomb. They are equal in term of dps, but living bomb as been calculated (see icy veins) to be slithly above in terms of ffb procs than NT or Frost Bomb. After more than a month of raiding and dongeoning, I can confirm that. Moreover, everytime a fight involves more than one target, you can double or triple cast it (instant is so much more easier to apply to a rotation than the annoying cast of frost bomb), making you proc ffb like crazy (well, more than usual anyway), and raising your dps. When both or three of your targets are close to each other, it's with a big grin that you'll see your three bombs exploding together for 40-80k / explosion.

    I highly recommand you to try out again both the trinket and lb, and i assure you you'll see in increase in dps.
    I think I will give LB another go, last time I didn't use it with Fireblast for multiple mobs and that might be a big issue, since I suck at tab-targetting. One thing I am confused about though, do you need Fireblast glyphed to spread LB or does the standard Fireblast. The description in wowhead seems to imply that it is normal behaviour.

  6. #46
    I'm also stuck on the decision to use LB/nether with lotc or frost bomb with the resin globule or any other trinket.

    I think I'm leaning towards frost bomb though because I *really* want to avoid RNG with LB/nether. I also like bomb for bosses like elegon where I can blow up my orb in a few seconds thanks to bomb+instant FFB.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    I think I will give LB another go, last time I didn't use it with Fireblast for multiple mobs and that might be a big issue, since I suck at tab-targetting. One thing I am confused about though, do you need Fireblast glyphed to spread LB or does the standard Fireblast. The description in wowhead seems to imply that it is normal behaviour.
    You need Fire Blast glyphed to spread LB (or detonate Frost Bomb/proc NT 'explosion').

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    You need Fire Blast glyphed to spread LB (or detonate Frost Bomb/proc NT 'explosion').
    Hmm, I was using Water Elemental, Ice Lance and Icy Veins glyphs. I am definitely keeping IV, but which one to replace with Fire Blast? I am leaning more towards replacing the Water Elemental but I got used to its functionality. What glyphs do you Frost mages out there use? I guess this would be a topic for another thread though.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    like......um......ugh......ughhhh........ DMC!!! but wait i need another one,.....um....ughhhh guhhhhhh

    and no its not a "bad trinket" lol go provide some evidence before you make a stupid statement

    1079 haste(some which can be reforged) and on proc int which averages out of 1015.6int assuming it has 45icd with 5s delay on proc
    5sec is pure crap, with flame shock on my ele shaman it can easily take 20 secs to proc and thats with bloodlust up.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    5sec is pure crap, with flame shock on my ele shaman it can easily take 20 secs to proc and thats with bloodlust up.
    last time i checked NT ticks like 3 times as often as flame shock

    That said sure the trinket is a bit meh cause it basicly forces frost to use NT, but then again sha of fear is available next week so hopes up it wont be too hard to get to on normals.

  11. #51
    Warchief Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    Hmm, I was using Water Elemental, Ice Lance and Icy Veins glyphs. I am definitely keeping IV, but which one to replace with Fire Blast? I am leaning more towards replacing the Water Elemental but I got used to its functionality. What glyphs do you Frost mages out there use? I guess this would be a topic for another thread though.
    Fire blast glyph saves you 0.5s on spreading LB if you've got 0 haste, and gives you fire blast's damage. Less time saved as you increase haste. If you need to do it, I'd dump the elemental glyph, and position him in a good spot.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 08:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    5sec is pure crap, with flame shock on my ele shaman it can easily take 20 secs to proc and thats with bloodlust up.
    Does your flame shock tick every 0.8 seconds without it?
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2012-10-26 at 03:32 AM.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    last time i checked NT ticks like 3 times as often as flame shock

    That said sure the trinket is a bit meh cause it basicly forces frost to use NT, but then again sha of fear is available next week so hopes up it wont be too hard to get to on normals.
    You don't get a particularly reduced uptime when using Living Bomb, the ICD remains the same regardless of which of the two DoT spells you use so as long as you don't use Frost Bomb you should be fine.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I already responded helpfully and provided information, the condescension comes out when someone contradicts me despite clearly having absolutely no idea what they are talking about and not bothering to check.

    You don't ask for help then tell the people who just helped you that they are wrong.
    You didn't even understand his question. He was asking if it procs off frostfire bolt, not off the source of brain freeze. I'd work on the brains before you adopt the condescending deebaggery that sometimes comes with it.

    Frostfire bolt has no dot component anymore, so it doesn't proc it, original asker.

  14. #54
    Welcome to last week, Magpai.

  15. #55
    I have no regrets

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    You should try it out more. Not only is it much, much, much better than the pocketwatch, using LB is much better than frostbomb. They are equal in term of dps, but living bomb as been calculated (see icy veins) to be slithly above in terms of ffb procs than NT or Frost Bomb. After more than a month of raiding and dongeoning, I can confirm that. Moreover, everytime a fight involves more than one target, you can double or triple cast it (instant is so much more easier to apply to a rotation than the annoying cast of frost bomb), making you proc ffb like crazy (well, more than usual anyway), and raising your dps. When both or three of your targets are close to each other, it's with a big grin that you'll see your three bombs exploding together for 40-80k / explosion.

    I highly recommand you to try out again both the trinket and lb, and i assure you you'll see in increase in dps.
    Seems to me nearly everyone in this thread doesn't care about Fingers of Frost procs that you lose moving away from Frost Bomb, for me they're a huge part of my DPS, much more than FFB and this is largely in part to using Frost Bomb well. It's not just on trash fights either, many boss fights have packs and many have the boss with his back to a wall which means FoF procs many times with Frost Bomb up and gives massive DPS increases. I got the LFR trinket today, the amount I have to mess up my rotation (which nearly always puts me in top 3 at least in LFR with average gear - not "Normal" raiding on this char) makes it of very limited use over the Resin Globule for me.

  17. #57
    Frost Bomb doesn't proc FoF. What are you talking about?

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Frost Bomb doesn't proc FoF. What are you talking about?
    Totally confusing Frost Bomb with Frozen Orb there... Teach me to post when not fully awake. Nothing to see here, move along...

  19. #59
    i heard nether tempest > living bomb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •