Secondary Storage Drive Slowing down PC?

I de-fragmented my storage drive today (5% fragmented when I analyzed it.) A 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black.
    I noticed opening or loading games were starting to slowly increase in time and general performance was a little down.

My main drive is a 60GB SSD that I use only for the OS, Web Browser, and Anti Virus. It performs perfectly, PC boot times have been 10 seconds, 12 at most.
    After de-fragging the stoarge drive the PC boot time is now 24 seconds and some of my programs (Installed on the storage drive) take awhile to load instead of instantly popping up like they used to.
    I didn't think the second drive would cause any problems during boot speeds.

Did something go wrong during the de-frag?
    I have a partition on the storage drive for my VM Workstations and not sure if I should de-fragment that to?
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-10-17 at 06:44 PM.

A defrag should not really cause this. As an interesting test, can you boot your machine w/o the storage drive attached? does the boot time change? That should tell you something.

During boot (and not login), the machine shouldn't really be touching things outside of your boot volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefasta View Post
    A defrag should not really cause this. As an interesting test, can you boot your machine w/o the storage drive attached? does the boot time change? That should tell you something.

During boot (and not login), the machine shouldn't really be touching things outside of your boot volume.
    I figured the same. When I booted without the storage drive, it did start up with the speeds I'm used to. When I re-connected the storage drive after the test and booted back up the problem seemed to have cleared away. :O
    My applications, icons, and web games are also opening and responding quick again.

defrag never causes this...must be something else...