Pure dps classes should always be top

Pure dps classes should always have a natural advantage over hybrid classes when it comes to damage, i.e a Mage/rogue/hunter/lock in the bis gear and a good gamer should always beat the hybrid with bis and who is a good gamer on almost all Pve encounters. When I read about good bis hybrids being the top dps over equally good players of pure dps classes with bis it makes me laugh because blizzard basically gave the pure classes 1 trick and made the hybrid's better. It's a complete failure of logic.

"Pure DPS" means nothing. It is by spec. A DPS spec = DPS spec, regardless of if the class is hybrid or not. That makes perfect logical sense imho.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pure DPS classes get 3 different ways they can dps. You also choose the class based on the mechanics of that class. You are provided different utilities, different aesthetics, a different identity.

I respectfully disagree.

To further mention that doing what you ask would lead to a severe imbalance in the game and ability to combine the right classes for 10 man raids. It would prevent most people from playing what they enjoy. Your ideas would make this game terrible.

You can only play one spec at a time, the fact that others exist is irrelevant.

Why though? Its not like pures are being dumped from raids. What is the argument here? Their inability to be flexible means they should do more dps? What would be the point of having any hybrid dps then?

One could say that pures have the advantage of being able to change between 3 distinctly different specs while still performing their role. Priests have and do change between disc/holy depending on the fight, why isn't pure classes changing between 2 specs considered advantageous as well?

Also, lets assume you are right. How much damage ahead should they be? Looking at feng 25 man we see 90k as the #1 parse, and less than 70k as the #200 parse for BM hunters.
    20k difference is over 20% dps difference.

If you balance around the top percentage of guilds, you have to account for the fact that they can, and will, sit nearly all other dps in favor of top dps specs if possible.
    Last edited by Nangz; 2012-10-17 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    "Pure DPS" means nothing. It is by spec. A DPS spec = DPS spec, regardless of if the class is hybrid or not. That makes perfect logical sense imho.
    Not the way they designed the game. A pure dps class has only 1 option to choose from they can be dps or dps or dps. Thus because they have a very limited scope they should have a natural advantage. It's illogical to give someone only 1 choice and then punish them by making them weaker in that choice area than other with 2-3 choices available.

15+ Year Old Account
    The way LFR questing etc rewards work by rewarding loot per active spec now only re-inforces the fact that the old hybrid tax is totaly outdated and a hybrid should be able to dps as well as a pure. If you don't like the fact that pures can only DPS then roll a hybrid... when you roll a pure it's because the option of healing or tanking does not appeal to you! I know some that rolled pures just so "I can't be dragged into 5 mans to tank over and over like on my old main"!

different strokes for different folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Not the way they designed the game. A pure dps class has only 1 option to choose from they can be dps or dps or dps. Thus because they have a very limited scope they should have a natural advantage. It's illogical to give someone only 1 choice and then punish them by making them weaker in that choice area than other with 2-3 choices available.
    Not entirely accurate. They can be dps focused on single mob, dps focused on multi mob, dps focused on cc, etc. And again you play a spec, not a class, when fighting. You should pick a class because you like the specific spec or specs it offers, and if it offers three different dps specs, then you do so because you like those options and do not want to tank or heal. Should Priests always be top heals because they have 2 heal specs instead of 1?

Don't talk crap about the way that the game was designed. The game was designed like what? 10 years ago? As the times changed so did game design. And you hardly have 1 choice to choose from. Last I checked most pure dps classes have 3 varied specs that are drastically different from each other.

The punishment is only that the hybrid class is forced to play one specific dps spec/rotation where a "pure" dps class can choose out of 3 different ways to dps the bosses. Sounds like a pure dps has more flexibility within the raid environment to fit niches created by certain encounters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea I think when you start they should give you a choise of what you will play and the roles they can perform. It would be easy to implement all they would have to do is make "classes" so when you start playing the game you could have a choice of how you play.... o wait....

Dead Horse beaten. Ghostcrawler says you are wrong OP with the title of your thread.

Don't talk crap about the way that the game was designed. The game was designed like what? 10 years ago? As the times changed so did game design. And you hardly have 1 choice to choose from. Last I checked most pure dps classes have 3 varied specs that are drastically different from each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only is this a tired topic that has been covered dozens of time with no outcome:

- Blizzard has maintained all dps classes, regardless of secondary specs, should be equal
    - You regularly create thread after thread bashing specific areas of a game you admit you haven't played in two years

Please stop creating negative bashing threads. This is just one of an example:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...broke-the-game
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-the-snowflake
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ed-in-Wrath-if