Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 1 of 83
1
2
3
11
51
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Fire Mage Guide

    Table of Contents:
    Part 1: The Basics
    1.1 Filler Rotation
    1.2 Stat Weights
    1.3 Gems
    1.4 Enchants

    Part 2: The Intermediate
    2.1 Talents
    2.2 Glyphs
    2.3 Gear Selection
    2.4 Race Selection

    Part 3: Advanced + Tips + Macros
    3.1 Time Warp
    3.2 The Pull
    3.3 Invocation
    3.4 Combustion:

    BASICS

    1.1 Filler Rotation: (lvl 90 talent/CD's and Combustion will be discussed later)
    1.1.a) Keep your mage bomb up
    1.1.b) Pyroblast when you have the insta-cast buff.
    1.1.c) Queue Fireball into Fireball until you get a "Heating Up" proc. DO NOT CANCEL YOUR FIREBALL WHEN THIS PROCS. Instead, spam queue Inferno Blast to force the "Pyroblast" buff.

    1.2 Stat Weights:
    Int > SP > Hit + Expertise to 5100* > Crit* > Haste to 3056* > Haste > Mastery
    (this is subject to change, and most likely we will be going for the 5500 haste break point this tier).

    If you didn't already know, 1 expertise now equals 1 hit rating for casters. Use the combination of Hit and Expertise to reach 5100.

    While everyone agrees that Int is the best stat, there is currently a disagreement about how good it is.

    SimCraft tells us that: 2 Crit > 1 Int. However, there are quite a few mages out there that believe Simcraft is simply simulating it wrong and that 1 Int is still more than twice as good as any secondary.

    Personally, I believe that 2 Crit > 1 Int.

    1.3 Gems
    Meta Gem: Burning

    Pick your side!

    1.3.a) If you believe 2 Crit > 1 Int, then you gem:
    Prismatic: 320 Crit
    Yellow: 320 Crit
    Blue: 160 Hit + 160 Crit
    Red: 80 Int + 160 Crit OR 160 Expertise + 160 Crit

    1.3.b) If you believe 2 Crit < 1 Int, then you gem:
    Prismatic: 160 Int
    Yellow: 80 Int + 160 Crit
    Blue: 160 Hit + 80 Int
    Red: 160 Int

    There is no middle ground! If you are doing some hodgepodge like:
    Red: 160 Int
    Yellow: 320 Crit
    Prismatic: 160 Crit + 80 Int
    THEN YOU FAIL AT GEARING!

    1.4 Enchants:
    Shoulder: Greater Crane > Lesser Crane
    Back: Superior Int
    Chest: Glorious Stats
    Wrist: Super Int (once a guildy has revered Shadow Pan) > 170 Mastery
    Hands: Superior Expertise > Greater Haste
    Legs: Greater Cerulean Spellthread > Regular Cerulean Thread
    Feet: Pandaren Step or Greater Precision > Greater Haste
    Weapon:Jade Spirit > Windsong
    Offhand: Major Int

    The Intermediate

    2.1 Talents
    Your talents and glyphs will change on a per encounter basis.

    2.1.a) There is a proactive way of handling Combustion that I cover at the end of this guide. I believe it to be the best method of handling combustion. It is CRUCIAL to have Presence of Mind for this method. We should always choose this talent if we can. Scorch should only be chosen in a fight with heavy movement.
    2.1.b) Ice Barrier, Temporal Shield and Flameglow are all viable. Choice will change on per fight basis.
    2.1.c) I generally pick Ring of Frost. Otherwise this tier doesn't matter.
    2.1.d) Level 60 talent changes on a per fight basis.
    2.1.e) Changes on per fight basis between Nether Tempest and Living Bomb.
    2.1.f) I recommend Invocation for all fights.

    2.2 Glyphs
    - Combustion should be Glyphed for every fight.

    3 Situational Glyphs
    - Glyph of Armors: Good against H-Horridon, Ji'kun, Dark Animus (or any fight you take physical damage)
    - Glyph of Infernoblast: should be used on any 3+ target fight.
    - Glyph of Cone of Cold: A solid option for HM-Feng and Will of the Emperor
    - Glyph of Evocate: should also be used if not using 2 of the above.

    DO NOT GLYPH FROSTFIRE BOLT! That is essentially wasting a major glyph to make your fireball look blue.

    2.3 Gear Selection
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lE&usp=sharing

    2.3 Race/Profession Selection
    What race is the best DPS? (THIS IS FOR FIRE SPEC ONLY)

    Horde: Troll(vs beast) > Orc (with wand) >Troll > Orc > Panda (with 250 food+) > Goblin > UD > BElf
    Alliance: Worgen > Panda (with 250 food+) > Dranei = Hu/Gnome (with sword) > NE

    Note: The 2 BiS weapons are a wand and a Sword.

    Part 3: Advanced + Tips + Macros

    3.1 Time Warp
    Fireball travel time is about .5 seconds. It often does not register the crit -> heating up buff for .75 seconds. When you're spamming sub 1.5 second Fireballs during TW, any amount of latency makes it incredibly hard to react to the inferno blast on time. Quite a few mages just ignore Heating Up during TW and continuously spam Fireball.

    3.2 Invocation:
    The biggest mistake I see mages make with this talent is going for 100% uptime.
    YOU DPS THE FULL 40 seconds. YOU LET THE BUFF FALL OFF. THEN YOU EVOCATE.

    There are also several situation where you choose not to evocate when the buff falls off.

    They Include:
    - The remainder of the fight will last less than 25 seconds
    - Your group NEEDS to push the boss into the next phase and you have less than 25 seconds to do so (or else Elegon will spawn an extra Protector, or Feng will do an extra Arcane Velocity/Epicenter kind of situation).
    - You have 5 seconds left on Bloodlust, you should DPS for 4 seconds, and then Evocate on the last second of Lust.
    - You will likely have to move in the next 5 seconds (like stack for Arcane Velocity, Dodge the line of soldiers on Spirit Kings).

    How did I get 21.46 seconds?
    1.15(x-k) = x
    Where k = the time of your evocate. I used 2.8 second evocate in my calculation.

    21.46 seconds (straight DPS)= 2146% DPS
    21.46 seconds (evocate) = 18.66*1.15 + 2.8*0 = 2146% DPS

    3.3 Combustion:
    There are 2 ways of handling your combustion CD.
    - The reactionary method. This method entails getting some addon like: CombustionHelper, MyBigIgnite and letting the addon tell you when to hit combustion. I believe this is the suboptimal.

    - The proactive. This method entails working your CD's and setting yourself up to have a big ignite on demand. In this section I will elaborate on this method.

    First off: the keys to the proactive method are Presence of Mind and Alter Time. The main thing that most mages seem to not understand is: You do not have to wait the full 6 seconds for Alter Time to reset you.

    I use the simple macro:
    /cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Alter Time

    Scenario 1: Alter Time and PoM
    - Fireball until you get a crit.
    - Inferno Blast queue that crit into a Pyroblast Buff.
    - Make sure Pyromaniac debuff (via mage bomb) is up.
    - Pop all trinkets/Synapse Spring buffs
    - Hit the Macro, then hit pyro - At this point it will fire 1 pyroblast (using up the buff), you will have a PoM buff, and 6 seconds till Alter Time ends.
    - Hit Pyroblast again - this will use up the PoM buff (sending out pyroblast 2)
    - Hit the Macro - This will preemptively end your Alter Time countdown and reset you to: Pyroblast buff and PoM buff
    - Hit Pyroblast for insta pyroblast 3 (consuming the pyro buff for the 2nd time).
    - Hit Pyroblast for insta pyroblast 4 (consuming PoM buff for the 2nd time).
    - Hit Combust

    Scenario 2: PoM
    - Fireball until you get a crit.
    - Inferno blast queue that crit into a Pyroblast Buff.
    - Make sure Pyromaniac debuff (via mage bomb) is up.
    - Pop all trinkets/Synapse Spring buffs
    - Hardcast another Fireball
    - Queue Insta Pyroblast via Pyroblast Buff.
    - Hit the Macro, then quickly hit Pyroblast (using a PoM Pyro)
    - Hit Combust

    Glyphed Combustion is a 1:30 CD that exactly matches PoM. Alter Time of course is 3:00 CD. Thus you cycle between Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 04:21 PM ----------

    Other stuff I forgot to include:

    Haste:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZmFYa0E#gid=39

    Armor: Use Molten Armor

    Edit: 10/30/12 Trinkets updated
    Trinket being discussed here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ket-Discussion

    Update: 11/28/12 - Jade Spirit doesn't proc off evocate. Do not take off your weapon prepull.
    Last edited by Windry; 2013-04-08 at 02:37 AM.

  2. #2
    ok,.....lets do this!!

    firstly you dont hard cast pyroblast EVER!!

    scorch is better than pom even there is small movement through out the fight scorch IS better than pom

    you said "if you think 2crit>1int"...... if you are making a guide you need to MAKE sure you know what the stat priorities are......

    btw if you are going to get hit by lightning fist shouldnt you be geting hit with TS up not IB?? having not to trigger that gcd is pretty big deal when it comes to dps

    btw the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1208556-Trinkets is wrong and i have corrected him/her since he forgot to add wizardary and motw/kings so DMC actually outweighs LOTC
    Last edited by Soulstrike; 2012-10-29 at 12:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    ok,.....lets do this!!

    firstly you dont hard cast pyroblast EVER!!

    scorch is better than pom even there is small movement through out the fight scorch IS better than pom

    you said "if you think 2crit>1int"...... if you are making a guide you need to MAKE sure you know what the stat priorities are......

    btw if you are going to get hit by lightning fist shouldnt you be geting hit with TS up not IB?? having not to trigger that gcd is pretty big deal when it comes to dps

    btw the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1208556-Trinkets is wrong and i have corrected him/her since he forgot to add wizardary and motw/kings so DMC actually outweighs LOTC

    so overall you need to know what you are writing about when making and i do not meant to be mean but this is obviously going to get closed soon
    - When taking into account Pyroblast DoT, hard casting Pyroblast is higher DPET than Fireball. So, if you get unlucky and go without a crit for 15 seconds, yes, you do hardcast pyro.

    - We obtain our stat weights from SimCraft. SimCraft is telling us that 2 crit > 1 int. Again, there is currently controversy over the validity of SimCraft's results. You CLEARLY did not read this section of my guide, or you have zero understanding that there is a disparity in what mages are gearing.

    - Soaking Lightning Fist puts you in insta-gib range for Spirit Bolts. Temporal Shield will not save you from Lightning Fist+Spirit Bolt. Ice Barrier will.

    - Yes, DMC > Light of Cosmos, I've updated that in my OP.

    - Scorch is not better than PoM in most situations. If you had read my section on Combustion you would understand why. If you check the logs several of the top parses are using PoM over Scorch, even on movement intensive fights.

    - SO overall, other than my quick copy of the trinkets, you come into this thread, spread a bunch of mis-information, and then tell me how my guide is going to get closed.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    - When taking into account Pyroblast DoT, hard casting Pyroblast is higher DPET than Fireball. So, if you get unlucky and go without a crit for 15 seconds, yes, you do hardcast pyro.

    - We obtain our stat weights from SimCraft. SimCraft is telling us that 2 crit > 1 int. Again, there is currently controversy over the validity of SimCraft's results. You CLEARLY did not read this section of my guide, or you have zero understanding that there is a disparity in what mages are gearing.

    - Soaking Lightning Fist puts you in insta-gib range for Spirit Bolts. Temporal Shield will not save you from Lightning Fist+Spirit Bolt. Ice Barrier will.

    - Yes, DMC > Light of Cosmos, I've updated that in my OP.

    - Scorch is not better than PoM in most situations. If you had read my section on Combustion you would understand why. If you check the logs several of the top parses are using PoM over Scorch, even on movement intensive fights.

    - SO overall, other than my quick copy of the trinkets, you come into this thread, spread a bunch of mis-information, and then tell me how my guide is going to get closed.
    How would you predict that you will not crit for 15+ seconds? You cant and that is the point really. If you go that long without a crit and you hardcast pyro, you will most likely get 1 soon, your bad RNG is most likely gone and you basically wasted dps on a hard cast when you just got an instant pyro a couple seconds later.

    if that makes sense.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Personally, I trust that 2 Crit > 1 Int.
    this part just bothers me

    you just said oh simcraft that simcraft this and havent provided anything but your personal fact!!

    ok 1 int isnt actually worth 1 int it is actually worth 1.1025 because of wizardary and kings/motw (mentioned in the trinket thread)
    so your arguement with 2crit vs 1int is very very wrong sorry, it is 2crit vs 1.1025 int

    3.78 Int
    2.95 SP
    2.36 Hit
    1.98 Crit
    1.36 Haste
    1.34 Mastery

    3.96 (2crit) vs 4.17 (1.1025int) int actually outweighs 2 crit

    im not attacking you personally its just when you are making a guide like this its crucial that you are correct so ppl who are reading this are doing it the right way

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    this part just bothers me

    you just said oh simcraft that simcraft this and havent provided anything but your personal fact!!

    ok 1 int isnt actually worth 1 int it is actually worth 1.1025 because of wizardary and kings/motw (mentioned in the trinket thread)
    so your arguement with 2crit vs 1int is very very wrong sorry, it is 2crit vs 1.1025 int

    3.78 Int
    2.95 SP
    2.36 Hit
    1.98 Crit
    1.36 Haste
    1.34 Mastery

    3.96 (2crit) vs 4.17 (1.1025int) int actually outweighs 2 crit

    im not attacking you personally its just when you are making a guide like this its crucial that you are correct so ppl who are reading this are doing it the right way
    Simcraft stat weights already takes into account Blessing of Kings and other multipliers of Int. It also has already taken into consideration Critical Mass multiplier. It should just be 3.78 vs 3.96

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 07:18 PM ----------

    Here's my math on the Pyroblast. Let me know if you see any errors.

    For my example, I am using:
    21063 SP
    3074 Haste Rating
    16.54% via Ignite

    This leads me to a 3.3sec pyro and a 2.1sec fireball.
    Taken into consideration are: Pyromaniac (1.1), Curse of Elements (1.05), and Invocation (1.25)

    FIREBALL:
    (without multipliers) 1561 + 150%(21063) = 33155
    (with multipliers) 1.1*1.05*1.25(33155) = 47867
    corresponding Ignite: 47867 * .1654 = 7917
    Total Damage: 47867+7917 = 55784

    DPET: 55784/2.1 = 26563 DPET

    PYROBLAST:
    (without multipliers) 2290 + 220%(21063) = 46361.5
    (with multipliers) 1.1*1.05*1.25(46361.5) = 66933
    corresponding Ignite: 66933 * .1654 = 11070

    Pyroblast Dot per tick: 1.1*1.05*1.25(375 + 36% (21063)) = 11488 damage every 3 seconds

    Dot ticks/total damage/corresponding DPET
    (0) 78003 - 23637
    (1) 89491 - 27118
    (2) 100979 - 30599
    (3) 112467 - 34080
    (4) 123955 - 37562


    Pyro dot ticks once every 3 seconds for a total of 6 ticks over 18 seconds. At 1 tick of the DoT, pyroblast already surpasses fireball in DPET.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-10-18 at 02:37 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Simcraft stat weights already takes into account Blessing of Kings and other multipliers of Int. It also has already taken into consideration Critical Mass multiplier. It should just be 3.78 vs 3.96

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 07:18 PM ----------

    Here's my math on the Pyroblast. Let me know if you see any errors.

    For my example, I am using:
    21063 SP
    3074 Haste Rating
    16.54% via Ignite

    This leads me to a 3.3sec pyro and a 2.1sec fireball.
    Taken into consideration are: Pyromaniac (1.1), Curse of Elements (1.05), and Invocation (1.25)

    FIREBALL:
    (without multipliers) 1561 + 150%(21063) = 33155
    (with multipliers) 1.1*1.05*1.25(33155) = 47867
    corresponding Ignite: 47867 * .1654 = 7917
    Total Damage: 47867+7917 = 55784

    DPET: 55784/2.1 = 26563 DPET

    PYROBLAST:
    (without multipliers) 2290 + 220%(21063) = 46361.5
    (with multipliers) 1.1*1.05*1.25(46361.5) = 66933
    corresponding Ignite: 66933 * .1654 = 11070

    Pyroblast Dot per tick: 1.1*1.05*1.25(375 + 36% (21063)) = 11488 damage every 3 seconds

    Dot ticks/total damage/corresponding DPET
    (0) 78003 - 23637
    (1) 89491 - 27118
    (2) 100979 - 30599
    (3) 112467 - 34080
    (4) 123955 - 37562


    Pyro dot ticks once every 3 seconds for a total of 6 ticks over 18 seconds. At 1 tick of the DoT, pyroblast already surpasses fireball in DPET.
    As a top 98 percentile mage I can finally say someone posted a good guide.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    may u explain about unequip weapon? why?
    and in near thread there's good post about gems (thread: Full Crit gems for yellow?) maybu u also put them in guide )
    and another question xD what about trink from elegon in lfr? it will be better, than trink from heroic_int ?
    Last edited by Ardolas; 2012-10-18 at 06:50 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardolas View Post
    may u explain about unequip weapon? why?
    It's important that Windsong and Jade Spirit do not proc when you evocate pre-pull.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardolas View Post
    I n near thread there's good post about gems (thread: Full Crit gems for yellow?) maybu u also put them in guide )
    I personally really hate that thread: Full Crit gems for yellow? Veranus does a good job of explaining it, but seriously... this is a concept that has been out there, open in the forums since August.

    Every 2 days the same 4 topics come up:
    1) What spec should I play?
    2) How do I gem my mage?
    3) OMG why are mages using expertise?
    4) What trinket should I use?

    So, I'm not going to reference a thread that is the 10th repeat of the topic.

    When you think about it, the only thing that matters is: DOES 2 CRIT OUTWEIGH 1 INT? The answer from Simcraft is: YES.

    The advanced question is: When I am drowning in Hit/Expertise, and I literally cannot reforge anymore into Crit, DOES 2 HASTE OUTWEIGH 1 INT?
    The answer is: Yes if you're under 3056. And with this answer, you gem Expertise/Crit in your Red Socket and reforge your hit/expertise into haste on those 1 or 2 last pieces.

    The answer is: NO if you're over 3056 Haste, and with this answer you gem Int/Crit in your Red Socket.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-10-18 at 07:20 AM.

  11. #11
    oh.. sure) thx
    nono, i say only about Veranus post

    + i think that pvp braces much better then August Celestials Valor

  12. #12
    The Patient Abraxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany/BW
    Posts
    203
    Hi

    i've 2 Questions concerning Pre-Pull.

    1. Weapon after evocation for not proccing Jade Spirit?

    2. Why no Mirror Images Prepull?

    Evo->Mirror->Macro

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardolas View Post
    + i think that pvp braces much better then August Celestials Valor
    Uh, lets see:

    Minh's Beaten Bracers
    638 Intellect
    405 Hit
    262 Mastery
    175 Crit

    Malevolent Gladiator
    604 Intellect
    432 Hit
    353 Critical strike

    34int + 262mastery vs 27hit + 178Crit

    My Current Stat Weights:
    4.14 Int
    2.97 Hit
    2.27 Crit
    1.95 Haste
    1.59 Mastery

    4.14*34 + 1.59*262 = 140.76 + 416.58 = 557.34
    2.97*27 + 2.27*178 = 80.19 + 404.06 = 484.25

    So nope. August Celestials Valor bracers > Regular Malevolent Gladiator Bracers. If you meant Elite Malevolent Gladiator Bracers, then yes I agree, and props on 2200.

    EDIT: (10/22/2012) They lowered the ilvl of Elite Malevolent Gladiator gear from 496 to 483. Just like last season, there is now no advantage to getting 2200 rating. The gear only looks different.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 01:15 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
    Hi

    i've 2 Questions concerning Pre-Pull.

    1. Weapon after evocation for not proccing Jade Spirit?

    2. Why no Mirror Images Prepull?

    Evo->Mirror->Macro
    I'm uncertain about your question. If you are asking why I unequip the weapon, yes, it's so Jade Spirit/Windsong is not wasted on pre-pull evocate.

    With your second question, truth is: I am pretty hazy about Mirror Images. I know Mirror Images are supposed to snapshot some of your buffs and pass them onto the images like Arcane Power, but I am unsure how it reacts with TW, Trinkets, Potion, Zerking. I've always waited for procs to come up, then pop'd Zerking and Mirror Images. If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it, and I'll update the guide.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-10-22 at 10:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Very nice guide man, glad someone finally made one that is actually worth a damn. Did not know about that pom/alter time combo that is insanely good.

    edit: One question, why NT on stone guardians?
    Last edited by DeathDefier; 2012-10-18 at 10:38 AM.

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    388
    If you equip a weapon, doesnt it also "restart" the cooldown for enchants like trinkets?

  16. #16
    Looks like start of good guide, some questions I got while reading it:

    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Int > SP > Hit + Expertise to 5100* > Crit* > Haste to 3056* > Haste > Mastery
    Haste value for Goblin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    2.1.a) It is CRUCIAL to a fire mage to have Presence of Mind. We should always choose this talent if we can. Scorch should only be chosen in a fight with heavy movement.
    Why its crucial? What if player is using reactionary way to use combustion? What if you want scorch to fish for procs, like in elegon adds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    2.1.c) I consider Ring of Frost mandatory on Elegon and Will. Otherwise this tier doesn't matter.
    Why RoF for Elegon? Shatter for Energy Sparks? Tanks seems to have no troubles with Cosmic Sparks, so that is surely not reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    2.1.e) Changes on per fight basis between Nether Tempest and Living Bomb. Stone Guardians should be NT. HM-Feng should be LB. 25M Will and Gara'jal (HM and NM) should be NT.
    Why not Living bomb+ Fireblast glyph for Stone Guardians? Checked 10 men wol listing some days ago and seemed every single top result was using Living Bomb. Though as difference is so small, guess its personal choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    - Glyph of Fireblast: should be used on any single target fight with NT. Should be used on multi-target fights with LB.
    Fireblast glyph with NT for single target? What it does?

    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Horde: Orc (with wand) >Troll > Orc > Panda (with 250 food+) > Goblin > UD > BElf
    Alliance: Worgen > Panda (with 250 food+) > Dranei = Hu/Gnome (with sword) > NE
    Why is Troll rated so high, cant see how short 10sec burst haste with 3 min cd is _that_ good for fire? Is that from simcraft?

  17. #17
    Some probability for combustion use. Just did it for fun. Maybe of use to someone.
    This does NOT consider use of alter time. However I have been testing it by using it just for buffs, or before step 3 in my report.


    U=Heating Up (Get this after 1 critt)
    S=Hotter Streak (Get this after 2 consecutive critts. Free Pyroblast!=No cast time)
    u=Union (OR)
    ^=And

    #######################
    Perfect scenario: 100% Critt chance.

    Spell casted: Buff gained after spell/spells hit the target:
    1.) HardcastPyroblast/LivingBomb U
    2.) Fireball/InfernoBlast US
    3.) Fireball/Pyroblast! US
    4.) Pyroblast! S
    5.) Pyroblast! U
    6.) PoM&Pyroblast S
    7.) Pyroblast!
    8.) Combustion

    #######################
    Now to a more realistic scenario:
    Lets assume 40% critt chance. Pretty close to live stats.

    Probability:
    P(A)= 40/100 = 0.4 = Fireball critt
    P(B)= 40/100 = 0.4 = Pyroblast! critt

    Lets assume you are at stage 3. You have U and S procced. Which happends alot and is easy to force.

    The probability to be able to cast the 7th Pyroblast! is basically 5 critts in a row:
    P(A^B^B^B^B)= (0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4) = 1% = Very low. And will most likely never happend.


    Lets calculate how often you get to step 4 and step 5. Step 6 is obviosly always posible and should always be done after 4 or 5 depending on your proccs.

    Scenario 1:
    To get to step 4 you only need one of the Fireball/Pyroblast! combo to critt. Which is: P(AuB) = P(A)+P(B)-P(A^B) = (0.4)+(0.4)-(0.16) = 64%
    There is a 64% chance you will be able to get to step 4. I.e cast a second Pyroblast! after the combo in step 3. After you can use step 6 if specced.

    Scenarion 2:
    To get to step 5 you need both in step 3 to critt aswell as step 4. Which is: P(A^B^B) = (0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4) = 6.4%
    There is a 6.4% chance you will be able to get to step 5. I.e cast a second Pyroblast! after the combo in step 3 + Pyroblast! in step 4. After you can use step 6 if specced.

    Conclusion: At 40% critt of whats gonna hapend after step 3. Fireball/Pyroblast! combo.
    64% chance of getting 1 Pyroblast! + POMPyro if specced.
    6.4% chance of getting 2 Pyroblast! + Pompyro if specced.
    29.6% chance of not getting anything. At this points its not worth doing POMpyro if specced. But saving it and combustion until next time you are at step 3.

    Scenario 1 should be fairly easy to get to and will probably be used for the most time to get a combustion off

    Scenario 2 is close to perfect as posible. Yes you miss out on a pyro. But the probability for it to happend it simply to low. We can always hope tho!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post

    1.Why not Living bomb+ Fireblast glyph for Stone Guardians? Checked 10 men wol listing some days ago and seemed every single top result was using Living Bomb. Though as difference is so small, guess its personal choice.


    2.Fireblast glyph with NT for single target? What it does?


    3.Why is Troll rated so high, cant see how short 10sec burst haste with 3 min cd is _that_ good for fire? Is that from simcraft?
    1. Dunno if what he does is that he multidots both adds that are stacked and then uses the fireblast to create the explosion which would result as at least 3x the damage of 1 NT(single target) and maxing at 3,5x, but then again with 1 GCD less as with LB you can get at least 2.5 times the damage of 1 LB and maxing at 3x

    2.I might be wrong here but at least the wording suggest absolutely nothing.

    3. Cause its a freaking huge ammount of haste, and will get you many more pyroblast dot ticks and combustion ticks, and you will pop it at start with hero, prepot and every single possible proc you have, making troll a clear winner, dunno abt orc with wand being better for fire though, might be so for now but would think troll gonna pull ahead with more gear, plus our BiS weapons are a dagger and a sword/staff so no wand, but for progress ye wand is pretty much BiS.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 12:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kjelsrud View Post
    Now to a more realistic scenario:
    Lets assume 40% critt chance. Pretty close to live stats.
    Hmm fairly few mages have that atm, like I reached that only yesterday and got 485 ilevel average..

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Hmm fairly few mages have that atm, like I reached that only yesterday and got 485 ilevel average..
    Yes. I obviosly assume you are maximizing your gear for decent progression. And even then 40 is a reach atm.

    It is however easy to change the critt % to suit you. And then recalculate. Just set in the new number in the forumlas.

    F.eks You got 25% critt. 25*1.5=37.5% critt. 37.5/100= 0.375. I.e use 0.325 instead of 0.4.

    Edit: I choosed nice round numbers to show how the probability could be found. Everyone needs to put in their numbers for 100% accuracy.
    Last edited by kjelsrud; 2012-10-18 at 02:37 PM.

  20. #20
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    388
    Hmmm i have a 1.5 * 28.00% crit chance with all buffs + crit proc with avg 471... So it shouldnt be that difficult without 3056 haste cap. Just get all the crit gear from dungeon hc and some VP stuff.
    I also simmed with haste cap reforges resulting with a lower DPS compared to Full crit reforges.
    Last edited by Smaikiii; 2012-10-18 at 01:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •