Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Escapist View Post
    Haven't played fire in a while. If I have 545-550+ ilvl how should I value secondary stats? Crit > Haste > Mastery, or Crit > Mastery > Haste?

Edit - realized haste is probably more valuable since the combustion nerf. Another question though - Is there a point where Crit becomes less valuable than either of the others?
    We aren't gaining alot of crit this tier, you don't want to drop crit for haste or mastery.

But yeah its basically crit > haste > mastery.

Deleted
    Well actually, we would gain a hell of a lot crit this tier... if it wasnt for the trinkets... Or if the BoI would increase crit rating instead of pure critical dmg... I think statwise the set is the best we have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    Well actually, we would gain a hell of a lot crit this tier... if it wasnt for the trinkets... Or if the BoI would increase crit rating instead of pure critical dmg... I think statwise the set is the best we have ever had.
    Still doesn't change the fact that we aren't gaining much crit at all in comparison from T14 to T15.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    Ill take amped crit dmg over rating any day..

@ Mue

Actually the best stats we have had was in ICC from my memory.

Deleted
    Any pointers for Garrosh? My DPS has been pretty garbage for the fight and I've started getting called out on it (despite being the Iron Star bitch in phase 1). Most other fights I do pretty well, but this one has just been a complete pain in the ass for me as fire.

Deleted
    Tell them you wont be that iron star bitch, have some one else do it for just 1-2 tries. Pump out that combustion to all the lovely adds, and you should be right back in the sweet spot. pointless dps but it sounds like that's all your guild leader thinks with.

Doing the engineers drains a lot of total damage cause its the phase where every one is cleaving except you. How is pure boss single target meters looking like?.
    I mean you could just be bad, i dont know :P but it sounds really strange that your guild does not seem to understand the dps loss going to engineers.

Looking at fire mages stat weights, it seems to be that at a certain haste rating + Amplification trinket, that frost armor may in fact provide more than molten armor? Simply because of how haste is calculated at a certain amount of haste the 1.07 and 1.09 modifiers on haste from Immerseus trinket and frost armor would generate enough haste gain to be greater than the 5% critical strike on molten armor. This would also allow for hitting some higher breakpoints. Just wondering about this or am I waaay off basis here?

Quote Originally Posted by Waze View Post
    Looking at fire mages stat weights, it seems to be that at a certain haste rating + Amplification trinket, that frost armor may in fact provide more than molten armor? Simply because of how haste is calculated at a certain amount of haste the 1.07 and 1.09 modifiers on haste from Immerseus trinket and frost armor would generate enough haste gain to be greater than the 5% critical strike on molten armor. This would also allow for hitting some higher breakpoints. Just wondering about this or am I waaay off basis here?
    There are no breakpoints for fire that are worth hitting by sacrificing crit.

Use molten armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    Ill take amped crit dmg over rating any day..
    Yeah I have the 561 Immerseus Trinket. My Pyro and Fireball crits are just gigantic. First night and Pyro was averaging out at 350k ish. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Amatarasu View Post
    Any pointers for Garrosh? My DPS has been pretty garbage for the fight and I've started getting called out on it (despite being the Iron Star bitch in phase 1). Most other fights I do pretty well, but this one has just been a complete pain in the ass for me as fire.
    Iron Star bitch lowers your dps by a HUGE amount, not just the time off the boss and adds, but you lose all the passive dot damage from pyroblast on the boss/adds.

The dps that really matters comes in phase 2 and 3. Are you killing your spawning add fast and away from others, are you killing the weapon, all while doing good damage on the boss, in that phase. Or if you are kiting, are you smashing the hell out of the boss really good in that phase to push him to phase 3. And then once in phase 3, are you getting good damage while also getting down the MC's super fast.

Overall dps on the Garrosh fight is not a terribly good measurement of your performance. People who are cleaving adds in phase one, and people who have crazy easy aoe (lolReign of Fire) for the ToES adds are going to outdps you, and there is nothing you can do about it. You could try to scumbag dps, but other classes will always out scumbag you.

The only other thing is, if your damage is low on the boss compared to others, could be if other players in your raid have had good luck with trinkets/weapons, and you're still using T15 trinkets, that will really hurt you in comparison to them.

Best of luck.

Deleted
    Being IronStar bitch is a retarded dps loss. The first minute of the fight you can pull 500k-1million dps, which you all miss out of because adds will probably be too low to spread dots to and stuff. You can still catch up on later waves and because the fight is pretty long, but if your pulls are very short, you won't be doing good dps.

Deleted
    So, about the stat values. A lot of people refer to Vykina, but he seems awfully biased (I think he's in love with haste or they're having an affair of some kind) and I just keep getting better numbers with 2 crit > 2 haste (8086 breakpoint) > 2 mastery > 2 haste > 1 int than if I completely stack haste.

Also, a lot of people are suggesting to stay away from exp/crit gems, but I disagree. All secondary stats are better to gem for than int according to every single test I've done. Is anyone else getting same results or can someone provide with hard facts that full-on haste actually is better?

(I got 4p, amp trinket, cloak and ilvl 558)

Deleted
    If I had not so much hit, it would try to gem exp/crit in red. But with my current gear, it's already hard to reforge all the excessive hit into another stat to stay near the hitcap. Now, I could replace one int/crit gem with exp/crit but this wouldn't be noticeable at all. I've to say that I still use T15 because our token drop rate is like 1/6 per raid (including garrosh) and T16 only got red gems despite the pants (guess we got 5 tokens since 5.4 shared with 5 raid members ).
    If we assume that 2 points of any 2nd stat is better than 1 int, gemming exp/crit and reforging all excessive hit into crit/haste/mastery in return is always mathematically better than int.

Conclusion: Yes, gem exp/crit if you can reforge ~ 5100 hit.

Nevertheless, I'm also two-minded if it's better to go crit > haste or crit > hastecap > mastery. I went crit > haste, but just because we do not have the 5% haste in our raid ;( which is kinda frustrating. Casting faster feels really good, but mastery isn't that bad in my opinion.

I don't know the current state of simcraft and usability of its results, but it also calculated that mastery is better than haste for me (I've 11,k haste). Try if you want to :-)
    Last edited by mmoc8f28c533f3; 2013-10-16 at 02:43 PM.

Quick question for Mages who have knowledge on Heroic Siegecrafter. Unglyphed combustion for belt correct? Glyphed combustion doesn't even come close to getting the full ticks even when casted right at the beginning of the belt and you can only use it every other belt.

Edit: nvmd, we are just using 6 per belt so we can use CD's on boss. :P
    Last edited by TheoriesLA; 2013-10-19 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    I just got tier 16 4 set last week. Late I know but I used my DKP on other items until everyone on my token had them all, sice I read I had to switch from t15 4-set to t16 4 set.

Anyways, I've read through the last pages of this thread, and there seem to be some differing opinions on what to do when you have t16-4.

It still holds true in by far most cases that you only cast Pyroblast if you have HU+HS. If this isn't the case you keep casting fireballs until it is the case, with some exceptions as I understand it.

As I see it there are two scenarios.

1. Building for a combustion.
    Nothing changes here. You get HU+HS then pop the famous macro with POM and AT and hope to get lucky.

2. Not building for a combustion
    2a. HU + Inferno blast is off CD: Use inferno blast
    2b. HS + Inferno blast is off CD: Cast Pyroblast to clear HS proc
    2c. HS + DOT falling off: Cast Pyroblast

Thats all I got really, which means that t16-4 set actuelly doesn't change much or do you try to get infernoblast in there whenever it's off CD?

Quick question, got in a debate with a buddy of mine and we are disagreeing with eachother:

If a trinket procs during AT, is the ICD triggered after you use AT a second time or does using AT a second time reset the ICD of the trinket?

For example, during my opener if my immerseus trinket does not proc but everything else does and I have a Pyro!/HU situation and decide to hit AT, after using 2 pyros my trinket procs, my AT then expires (or I use it a second time to expire manually) and I get reset back in time which removes my Immerseus trinket buff, does the trinket have the same chance to proc as it did before using AT or is it now on its ICD and will not proc again for some time?

Hope that wasn't too confusing Reason I ask is because that would make using Combustion pre AT expiration viable should a trinket proc DURING AT.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dusteyy; 2013-10-19 at 11:47 PM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    If it procced, it procced. The ICD resets, just like an outside of AT proc.

I have a question. At what crit rating would it become viable to switch Fire? I keep seeing 11k-12k, but I cannot find a definite answer.

38% or higher is the magic number from what I have seen. even in some frost BIS gear I still have 45% crit on my mage so it's not hard with SoO gear.