Best GPU For Rift

Your thoughts on this, looking for something that would be a huge improvement over my 570.

I can play on default ultra right now and almost never go below 50 fps, usually a steady 60, but thats with default ultra, not every tab maxxed out.

Suggestions?
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Your thoughts on this, looking for something that would be a huge improvement over my 570.

I can play on default ultra right now and almost never go below 50 fps, usually a steady 60, but thats with default ultra, not every tab maxxed out.

Suggestions?
    That really comes down to your budget.

Nothing over 500 dollar range perferably.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

If you disable shadows, or put them on pretty low, i dont think you need to get a new graphics card.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    If you disable shadows, or put them on pretty low, i dont think you need to get a new graphics card.
    Oh yes, you do. 7970 GHZ (Bios) i7 2700k 5,0 GHZ - 8 GB Ram. With everything Maxed my FPS was low.

I mean i have a i7 3770k and a nvidia gtx 460, and i get about ~50 fps with shadows on environment only.

try these links as well.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ps-issues.html

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-guide.html

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 07:37 PM ----------

I also use gamebooster, as well as being stuck right now with a crt monitor.

15+ Year Old Account
    The engine doesn't consistently perform at the top levels in frames per second like non mmo type games. So unless you play something besides Rift don't spend $500 on a video card. You're better off spending $200 and upgrading it in 1-2 years.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    I mean i have a i7 3770k and a nvidia gtx 460, and i get about ~50 fps with shadows on environment only.

try these links as well.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ps-issues.html

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-guide.html

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 07:37 PM ----------

I also use gamebooster, as well as being stuck right now with a crt monitor.
    Fyi, from my understanding, Gamebooster really only helps computers with poor hardware and by poor, I mean really poor. I don't know how much you know about your hardware, but it's anything but poor. The GPU is a couple generations behind, but 460s can still stand up on their own. Basically, you don't need to run Gamebooster, your i7 is not being pushed to its limits - trust me.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    The engine doesn't consistently perform at the top levels in frames per second like non mmo type games. So unless you play something besides Rift don't spend $500 on a video card. You're better off spending $200 and upgrading it in 1-2 years.
    For $200 he would not be able to get an upgrade over a 570. In his case, he wants to max out games like Rift - and while he DOES need a good CPU to do that as well, his signature says that a GPU right now would be his best upgrade. (Anyone who says you need an i7 for gaming is either listening to marketing people who just want you to buy stuff - they don't care about facts, or are still living in the days of the Intel Gulftown i7-900 series CPUs, when they did have a considerable jump for gaming, but these i7s are just i5s with Hyper threading and do not help in games.

Suffice to say OP: I'd buy either a 7970 GHz or GTX 670. (680s are too expensive for the extremely poor increase over a 670.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Even though game booster does help very low end hardware, i notice a 5 fps gain while using it during graphic intensive times where my fps drop below acceptable. I have not yet overclocked my I7, due to needing my desktop to not die on my for my college classes. Im a CS major, so if my comp dies, im in trouble. haha

Im not sure however if 60 fps should be the benchmark, that is somewhat overkill for max FPS. while one might notice slowdown at 35 to 40 fps, it be hard to see at 50 constant fps.

I have a i5 3570k at 4.2ghz and a OC radeon hd 7970 and I have some FPS troubles, it's an mmo so you will have some FPS troubles. I don't know of a computer that can have Steady FPS in an mmo, even a 1000 dollar CPU will have problems with MMOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a computer major too, but I can assure you, overclocking it from the stock 3.4-3.5GHz to a healthy 4.3-4.5GHz would not hurt you at all, nor your computer. And unless you've actually run benchmarking software to determine that this is true, I highly doubt Gamebooster is doing what you think it is.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Suffice to say OP: I'd buy either a 7970 GHz or GTX 670. (680s are too expensive for the extremely poor increase over a 670.)
    Which would offer best performance in Rift? both about the same?

I am planning to OC this winter, after classes end. I need to do some thing first, like getting a multi button mouse since my old one broke, getting a new monitor that isnt a crt and passing classes haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Which would offer best performance in Rift? both about the same?
    Likely, but the 7970 will pull ahead in other games and will support larger resolutions and bigger, multi-screen setups better with continued strong performance.
    "A flower.