x2 XFX Radeon HD 7970 & games / UI issues ?

Hey!

I'm having some minor problems with the 7970 crossfire. Skype, League of Legends are just two of my programs that have a problem with a spastic UI at random times. I've noticed if I turn off the crossfire in CCC, there isn't a single problem.

Is it hardware or maybe some bugs that haven't been fixed yet? Driver and everything is up to date.

Sorry for any misspells or any misunderstandings.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 07:00 AM ----------

Skype: Under a video conversation, at random times it will just completely stop up, eventho the sound is still working, and if I try to minimize it or do anything with the picture, it goes completely blank.

League of legends: UI starts blinking or vanishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean "spastic UI"?

Your LoL issues sound like an installation issue, have you tried reinstalling LoL/Skyrim?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Yep, twice. Even reinstalled my pc 2-3 times aswell. Wonderd if it had something to do with windows installation so.

Both of the program works perfectly if i disable Crossfire in CCC.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 07:38 AM ----------

and the UI for LoL, keeps on blinking and dissapearing randomly.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old are the cards?

Have you tried rolling back to a different driver?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

First card was orderd 06.06.12
    http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=660799

My second card war orderd: 23.09.12
    http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=660800.

And for the driver, i dont know how to do it. Isnt it being controlled by the CCC?

10+ Year Old Account
    RMA the second card, one of the RMA guys at Komplett has the tendency to just say "your product is fine, we'll send it back", if you encounter that guy then just record the issues with your phone, post it on youtube and send the link as proof.

Armory

Test the second card with crossfire disabled. If they both work fine individually at least u know the second card isn't faulty.

Then install the latest catalyst profile http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-8_vis..._64_dd_ccc.exe

Note: That link is for Win 7 x64

Also make sure you have latest drivers (not beta).

You can also try googling 7970 crossfire skyrim, or 7970 crossfire lol issues. May find some useful information.

Other than that wait until amd has better drivers/catalyst profiles.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-10-18 at 11:34 PM.

Sometimes, in some games and programs, crossfire is absolutely shit. With 2x6950's I couldn't set shadows to highest in SWTOR without getting blinking, flashing shadows that caused epileptic attacks all over the place. I took it like a man of course since crossfire is awesome...

On a serious note though, some programs/games are not great in crossfire and sometimes you just have to wait for a fix. It could of course be a faulty card but as c0rnel said, that is easily diagnosed by you. If the other card is fine, you just have to disable crossfire when playing those games/using those programs.

Well, I'm on my way home soon. I'm gonna test out the card alone and see if it fails or not. And I've been thinking about the drivers not capable to support crossfire in certain games.

I've gotten my RMA accepted as well just now. Do you think I should send it back unless its actually a faulty card problem or?

Quote Originally Posted by vinzet View Post
    Well, I'm on my way home soon. I'm gonna test out the card alone and see if it fails or not. And I've been thinking about the drivers not capable to support crossfire in certain games.

I've gotten my RMA accepted as well just now. Do you think I should send it back unless its actually a faulty card problem or?
    If you got it approved then sure, that way you will be 100% sure it's not the card. BTW, do you have anything else than your 2 cards in PCI slots? AFAIK its only SB-e that actually supports 40 lanes properly on the PCI bus, so another piece of hardware in the PCI lane/TB port, could cause instability issues. That's what I've heard at least, in the computer geek community. Might not be true though, they also had some pretty nice conspiracy theories about Asus buying up ASRock within the next 2-3 months.