Deleted

Are there still people playing Tera?

Hi guys

I played the free trial of Tera not too long ago and i enjoyed it. To my huge disappointment there where almost no people once i arrived at what seemed to be the main city at around 20.00 on a sunday. Are there any servers where it would still be possible to start a character and expect to be getting anything done when it comes to group content?

I am really only interrested in hearing about this question and you dont have to refer me to GW2, WOW or any other mmo for that matter.

Thank you beforehand.

I'm willing to bet there are still people playing, but the TERA megathread has been inactive for a little while...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Online/page395

10+ Year Old Account
    In the US anyways I believe its down to 3 servers now, 1 PVP, 1PVE, 1RP not sure about the populations.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure my sister is still playing this...so that's at least one person.

I noticed it's no longer on the shelves at Wall-Mart. Entire shelf is covered in World of Warcraft and game cards to various games, every other PC game is sort of shoved off in the bottom, even the new releases.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-10-18 at 02:55 PM.

My sub is still active but that's only because I reactivated to play a bit.

Ever since they nerfed how fast Rangers(or whatever their name is) shoot. So it's just overall boring to play.
    The character models and gear is gorgeous, but the gameplay overall is pretty lackluster at this point. They've just nerfed anything that made it fun, it seems.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

Deleted
    I don't think much people do, kind of sad though! the combat was so awesome ;< too bad everything else was not!
    Buying gear to get into instances to only get the gear you already bought :@ whats that for crap

Deleted
    I quit before my free month was up, the combat was interesting but the game was too "Korean" for me.

Deleted
    I quit the EU version because of the lack of content and how horrible the company (frogster) was managing it.
    Not sure about US.

There's still lots of people playing on Tempest Reach (US-East) from my experience. Sure it's not as many people as it had during launch so getting support for group quests can be a chore, but the LFG channel is global so if you shout out, you'll typically get some responses.
    Last edited by Samoflange; 2012-10-18 at 03:18 PM.

I feel like no company is really trying anymore. Every MMO is missing something obvious. WoW was the last one that really felt like they knew what people wanted. Every single MMO since then it feels like they have some good ideas then miss glaringly obvious pants-on-the-head things that make them fail. Rift might find it does ok in the long run simply because they copied WoW in so many things, but really they don't have much more than that. Tera had some great ideas for combat but damn they forgot to add anything else. GW2 they made a great first half the game but forgot the rest. EVE has some great ideas and some really unique things but it really caters to a certain type. If you're not in to spending tons of time going over numbers and spreadsheets, you're probably not going to do much. FFXIV, well... moving on...

I just feel like everyone wants so hard to have the next MMO. Offline games are coming out with new interesting things, but for MMOs, each time, people run to play it hoping it'll be the new one, but then the obvious failings become blinding and people go back to their old fallbacks, usually WoW. The only game I see that might be close to being a new good game is GW2, because it has a great base, but it needs quite a bit added on for longevity or people are going to back to offline games or WoW which lets people invest time and see long-term goals achieved.

Why does this happen? Are companies too in to the quick buck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I feel like no company is really trying anymore. Every MMO is missing something obvious. WoW was the last one that really felt like they knew what people wanted. Every single MMO since then it feels like they have some good ideas then miss glaringly obvious pants-on-the-head things that make them fail. Rift might find it does ok in the long run simply because they copied WoW in so many things, but really they don't have much more than that. Tera had some great ideas for combat but damn they forgot to add anything else. GW2 they made a great first half the game but forgot the rest. EVE has some great ideas and some really unique things but it really caters to a certain type. If you're not in to spending tons of time going over numbers and spreadsheets, you're probably not going to do much. FFXIV, well... moving on...

I just feel like everyone wants so hard to have the next MMO. Offline games are coming out with new interesting things, but for MMOs, each time, people run to play it hoping it'll be the new one, but then the obvious failings become blinding and people go back to their old fallbacks, usually WoW. The only game I see that might be close to being a new good game is GW2, because it has a great base, but it needs quite a bit added on for longevity or people are going to back to offline games or WoW which lets people invest time and see long-term goals achieved.

I personally like Tera, the art style / graphics, game play and such, however the end game is... lacking. Some people get turned off by the graphics, some by the combat, or whatever reason they have.

As for the question, companies want to make money.

There were MMOs before WoW, and not just EQ and Ultima Online. However WoW made it more... mainstream(?), whatever word works there.

Is it a good thing? Well, yes and no. The community gets muddled, and the community somehow wants to have MOAR MMO.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ying-as-an-MMO
    The ones we keep hearing, SWTOR, GW2, Rift, well... these are just some of the ones that people just know, why? Well people hype em up, this is just... bad.
    Long forgotten games, Maplestory, Lineage, Aion (well slightly forgotten), Rose Online, LotR, SWG (well this is really long forgotten, literally, cause it no longer exists outside of private servers), Silk Road Online, Asheron Call, whatever else that I can't think of right now. So many games that I poked around on, =\

It's good as it shows a nice different world to what there is in games. Not just FPS, RPGs, puzzle games (albeit that's already very obscure, >.>), etc, but some online world.

I'd still play now and then if it didn't have a sub fee. I imagine a lot of others would too.

Tera is a great example of a game that should have never launched with a sub fee. They already had tons of existing systems in game that could have easily been monetized. In fact, I have rarely seen a game launch that could have transitioned to F2P almost overnight.

It's a niche game too. Just felt EME were a little out of touch with the market.

Since it's still not f2p, I guess quite a few people still play it.
    And I'd play it time after time if it was f2p. I still miss my elf so much... She was single most sexy character I ever met in an mmo.
    Last edited by Vice80; 2012-10-19 at 06:56 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post

It's because no gaming company can pump enough money into their starting mmo like blizzard has done over the years. And we just compare every other mmo to WoW. Just think how much money blizzard has put into WoW over 8+ years.
    Last edited by freedrom; 2012-10-19 at 07:02 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freedrom View Post
    Just think how much money blizzard has put into WoW over 8+ years.
    Compare that to the amount of money they've taken in and not put into the game and you'll find that we are all stupid for continuing to pay them. I mean this latest edition proves they at least are thinking about how to implement 'more', but at the same time making it as limiting as possible so they can extend their content artificially. So still in the same shit that we are overpaying for.

TERA was beautiful, the combat was more fun than I've ever had, and then there was the rest of the game. Or the lack thereof really. If ever a game could exemplify grinding, it would be this one. No sense of purpose in the quests, somehow making the kill x, collect y quests the perfect example of how awful they can be. Then if you ever made it throughthe brutally exhausting leveling process you hit the wall of nothing. Worthless dungeons, no raids at launch, nothing at all except start a new character and hate it all over again.

My eyes miss that game so much, but my brain whips me everytime I think about trying to play it again.