Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whats best way to lvl on, lowlvl or equallvl?

As titel says
    I wonder if its most benefited to "questing" where your level matches, like if im lvl17, I go Kessex Hills etc.
    Or if its as equal to clear all "1-15" zone's first then move on to 15-25 zone's etc.

The benefits I see from going low lvl zones first is that I can use copper tools alot longer without worring to "waste" a good tool, or using a too good tool etc
    But how is exp / gear gained? Will I gain less exp for going low lvl zones, or its about same? And gear? I heard soemthing that gear should drop for your level even if you are in a low lvl zone

And for the second, I will not bother with crafting while leveling and no plans in caring untill I need to do for Legendery so mats gained is no big benefits (more then for selling)
    And yes I am aiming for 100% ofc. So either follow story line and quest in "right area" or go back and clear "low lvl area"

*Side question, is it better to salvage ALL armor / weapons, or should I only salvage "salavage kit" and vendor gear?

There's not a lot that makes a difference on the rate of leveling. Just play through whichover zones you want to and gather everything along the way. Crafting is good IF you already have a level 80 and stockpiled mats for a new character (400 in a crafting discipline = 10 levels in about an hour).

Deleted
    in my experience going to the higher lvl areas lvls waaay faster! and the orr zones70-80 lvl insanely fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    And yes I am aiming for 100% ofc.
    If you are aiming for 100% then you will do all zones anyway, so what does it matters?

To get to max level as soon as possible you are interested in running as many DEs as possible as quickly as possible. So you'd want to be where many other players are. Higher level enemies will give more reward, lower level enemies will give less reward. That's basically it

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I noticed about staying to long in one zone is that your equipment will get worse over time.

So if we take an extreme example, let's say you're level 20 and have full level 20 gear. Now you decide to stay in the same zone for 20 more levels and just run events.
    You get downscaled to level 20 all the time, even if you are already level 40. The problem is that your gear will get worse because it's equally downscaled, which means that your level 20 equipment with 100 power has only 10 power left on it.

Conclusion: Get in the higher level areas soon.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

You have a chance to get gear near your level when downscaled. If you're 40 in a 20 zone, you won't get anything over 40, you have a small chance to get 40 gear, but you'll probably end up with a bunch of stuff in the 32-36 range. Not great, but better than being stuck with 20 gear.

I tend to get into a zone as soon as I am able, within 1-2 levels of the zone itself. You have a better chance of getting good drops from higher level enemies, and if you feel comfortable fighting them there's no reason not to.

Basically, go where you're most comfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to stay in level appropriate zones while I was leveling and hit 80 with about 60% map completion. I'm going around now and cleaning up the ones I didn't finish and finding maps I didn't get a chance to see and getting a mix of level appropriate and lower level rewards. I'm even gotten a few rare items from low level mobs.

The xp & karma rewards are reduced slightly when you downlevel, but it's not a big deal.

Do whatever you find interesting
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    By slightly you mean you get about 12.5% of the XP from a lower level event as you'd get from an Orr event.
    u trolling? orr event: 380 low lvl zone 0-15: 240 so you get 63 percentage of a orr event...

10+ Year Old Account
    say you are lv 30 and roaming in a lv 20 zone.
    what`s the rush to get lv 30 gear? you should have no issue killing the lv 20 mobs.
    When you get to the lv 30 zone, you can be 35 let`s say. so again gear will not matter much.

Um, what? You pretty clearly don't get 380 xp from an Orr event.
    The numbers he used were karma, but the other rewards should have similar ratios

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    By slightly you mean you get about 12.5% of the XP from a lower level event as you'd get from an Orr event.
    Xp and Karma are rewarded based on participation and level of event. If you did an ordinary chain event with lowest participation in a low level zone compared to a meta event in Orr with the highest participation, you might see that kind of spread.

When you compare apples to apples though, it's not that big of a deal. I've got 185k karma and barely set foot in Orr.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I said. Your level of participation determines the medal you recieve.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-10-18 at 07:47 PM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you get rewards based on the level of the event, then multiplied by the value of whatever medal you get (100% gold, 85% silver, 75% bronze).

That's what I said. Your level of participation determines the medal you recieve.

This guy is not at max level. He's talking about during the leveling process, the difference between a 25-30 zone and a 30-40 zone is not that great.
    Valar morghulis

The most efficient way to level? Buy gold, use gold to buy crafting mats, craft all of your disciplines to max, then you are level 80. You could probably do this in a day or less.

The gap between 25 and 40 (granted, the most extreme gap in those ranges) is about 50% xp gain. So yes, it'd be pretty significant.

The gap between something closer to the middle...say, 30-35 is still about 75% xp gained. Still pretty significant if the question is, "Which is more efficient?"
    That's going to get one big huge "depends".

Some zones are event wastelands. Other zones have them all over the place. If you're in a same-level zone and there are no events going on (Snowden Drifts, Gendarren Fields) then you aren't going to be earning much XP. If you can go to a previous zone full of events you'll earn more XP due to more events.

Maybe when all the bugs are fixed and they tune event triggers better so that there's always something to do it'll be easier to say "just stick with level-appropriate zones." Until then, go where the action is.

The action is most certainly not in Snowden Drifts. I hate that zone.

High level areas give more xp, but everything takes longer to kill and you have a higher death rate. On my warrior I was doing well against higher level mobs and killing them at a decent pace (being 5-7 levels higher) and absolutely trucked mobs at or lower/same level as me; however on my thief, ele, eng, and necro 2-3 levels higher is about all I can do also requires a lot of kiting. I think the best way to level is to do hearts, and events until you hit Kessex hills, then event farm bridge/village/champion. After that it's north of LA to hit some eqiv level mobs, clear hearts, do events before moving to the hinterlands where you do kol/centars/champion and so on from bloodtide.

I guess it really depends on your class, and how well you play it, or how fast it can burn down higher level mobs solo.

Oh yeah, gather everything! Best xp to be had, better than killing mobs.

Going with things that are level-appropriate will give much better rewards. While your level is downscaled if you go to a lower level area, the rewards are downscaled as well, so there's really no benefit to it.
    This. I'm levelling a warrior (currently 25) and the exp is terrible if I go to 1-15 zones.

Typically:
    2x 1-15 zones
    2x 15-25 zones... etc will get you where you need to be.

I finished Kessex hills with about 3 levels from crafting at level 25. I'm gonna do another 15-25 because if I go to the 25-35 zone I will be outlevelled in just a few heart quests.

This is what I have been doing with full completion of each zone. 1 of each zone is probably fine if you are doing it over multiple days and getting your daily multiple times in each zone. But otherwise, even keeping your crafting levelled, doing DEs and full completion of a zone isn't sufficient.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-10-18 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    High level zones hearts/DEs seem to give more exp than upscaled low lvl hearts/DEs. Also, high(or equal) level zones give better completion rewards I believe and often have more DE's and map events.

High level will almost always result in higher XP/karma/gold per hour than low level. As others have pointed out low lvl stuff does scale up in reward but its nowhere near what you'd get for level apropreate stuff. The difference between equiv level vs hanging back 5 levels or so is not so clear. On the one hand you'll get a slightly better reward for equiv level but there is always a greater chance of geting in over your head, particularly if its a mobile DE that takes you into an area of a zone thats a bit higher than your level. There it comes down to safety vs a marginal boost in speed, depends on your personal skill really.

Your generaly better off with a small to medium sized group however. Things die faster, there are more targets to kill due to DE scaleing and with enough AOE you get more XP from kills than a solo DE. On the other hand too big a group can be a bit bad if your a melee class. I've been involved in a few zerg sized groups that spawned packs so large that if you rush in and they all target you at once you drop instantly but if you dont rush in you never get to hit anything.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    There's not a lot that makes a difference on the rate of leveling. Just play through whichover zones you want to and gather everything along the way. Crafting is good IF you already have a level 80 and stockpiled mats for a new character (400 in a crafting discipline = 10 levels in about an hour).
    That is terrible advise to give someone asking for the best way to level.

Doing level appropriate zones/hearts/events is the fastest and most efficient way to go about questing, doing lower level zones and events is a huge waste of time if you want to level up fast. You will probably want to do 1.5-2 zones for each level bracket and then move on to the next one.