Thread: The Dead Linger

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The Dead Linger

The Dead Linger is another game in the zombie survival genre that I've been keeping tabs on every so often (it's been in development at least as early as Sept. 2011), and now that Alpha is about to be released (October 31st to be precise) I thought I'd create a thread for people who might be interested. Hopefully we'll see how good it is (or isn't) in the near future, but from all I've gleaned it looks promising:

http://www.thedeadlinger.com/info

It'll use the Havok engine: http://www.thedeadlinger.com/archives/777

And here are minimum system requirements should you be interested in trying out the alpha: http://www.sandswept.net/forums/view...hp?f=23&t=3076
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-10-18 at 03:37 PM.

All these zombie games. Is there any game play video?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    All these zombie games. Is there any game play video?
    They said they'll release some alpha footage gameplay before October 31st. I'm currently waiting to see some gameplay myself before I decide to check it out. Videos out there now are pre-alpha stuff, but they've said they're aiming for Stalker Clear Sky quality graphics, at least, by the time it's released.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-10-18 at 04:20 PM.

I'm not one to base a game on graphics, but from the videos I did see, it needs to be better then that. I know it's pre-alpha. I just checked out Stalker Clear Sky. If the graphics are similar like that, then I would be happy. I'm reading the forums and it sounds interesting to me. I guess you can only play with 16 people, but they are trying to increase that. I guess they said you can eventually play with up to 256 people. Not bad. I also like that there is an offline mode. Gosh.. I just spent 29 dollars on WarZ.. Looks like I will be spending 25 dollars on this if the game play looks good.

Agreed. If executed well it could be an amazing game. Time will tell though. But with this, Day Z standalone, Planetside 2, et cetera, on the horizon I'm glad Cyber Monday is around the corner because I'm going to need a bigger SSD. :P

Just saw your updated post. Havok engine huh? Well I know Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim use that engine. That's pretty cool.

from the music at the start i was totally getting a zombie dexter vibe

I'll probably wait to see game footage, or a better opening cinematic before I give it a go,

But that has to be the worst teaser I have ever seen, It's not hyped me for it or anything, I'm like meh, can you even call it a teaser tbh?
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    There was some leaked gameplay a little while ago:

They definitely have a lot of work to do... I don't see why anyone would pre order when that is the only footage we have seen.

Out of the three zombie MMOs (DayZ, WarZ, and The Dead Linger) WarZ is looking the best to me.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-10-18 at 05:07 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    There was some leaked gameplay a little while ago:

<snip>

They definitely have a lot of work to do... I don't see why anyone would pre order when that is the only footage we have seen.
    They're releasing a blog with alpha gameplay footage before the actual alpha starts. We'll just have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw your updated post. Havok engine huh? Well I know Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim use that engine. That's pretty cool.
    Well, it's just a physics engine, so it doesn't really do that much other than well, physics.
    Kind of curious what the main engine would be.
    Note, Source uses Havok physics engine, same with Halo. It's a really good physics engine.

Would be nice to know more detail.
    Or at least game play, but that's sadly still yet to be released.

It sounds like it has potential to be a epic game compared to others (WarZ and DayZ) Can't wait to see the new blog and hopefully it has some game play footage.

---------- Post added 2012-10-19 at 02:37 PM ----------

After reading some Twitter. They're going to show some video of multiplayer action before the 31st. Can't wait.

The Dead Linger: Zombie Survival Sandbox Game

What is The Dead Linger?

The Dead Linger is a first person, sandbox role-playing survival horror that takes place in massive, procedurally generated world based on the United States. The Dead Linger is not an MMO. However, you can play up to a maximum of at least 16 players currently . They're currently working to get that player limit as high as they can, and you can set the number as high as you want (up to about 256.) In The Dead Linger, you can literally interact and explore with any item, weapon, object, and building that you can see.

Game modes and difficulty levels

Survival – This is the standard singleplayer and coop experience. You can still kill players, but it's a bit more difficult, and the focus is mainly on forming parties to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Team PvP – This is a more standard mode of PvP play. When joining a server, you will select between 2 to 8 teams, and you will join the team of your choosing. You will spawn into the world near your teammates. The game is essentially the same as survival, zombies and all, but there is a more PvP oriented focus as you battle alongside your teammates, against the opposing players, to live, kill, and survive in the zombie apocalypse.

FFA PvP – There are no rules. Survive. Kill or be killed. If you want to form unofficial alliances with the other players in this undead world, fine, but don't expect the other guy to hold up his end of the deal. If he back stabs you and takes all your gear, don't say we didn't warn you. Keep your head down. This game mode is not for the faint of heart.

Easy - Players don't drop any items when they die, but take a 5% hit to their attributes. They respawn a short distance away from where they died.

Medium - The recommended setting; players drop all food and ammunition but not equipment or weapons. All attributes are decreased by 25%.

Rigorous - Players drop all unequipped items, and other players may pick up these items. In addition to a 50% attribute decrease, players respawn further away from their point of death than on easy or medium difficulty.

Unyielding - Players drop everything, may have their items taken by others, lose 90% of their attributes, and spawn further away from their point of death than on rigorous difficulty.

Hardcore - All items are dropped and 100% of attributes are lost. In singleplayer, the world is deleted upon death.

My thoughts

I'm surprised this game hasn't gotten more attention considering it's being released on the 31st of this month. It's going to be released in alpha, unlike WarZ though, this game is truly in alpha stage. Don't expect every feature to be in the game. Also, on a side note, the graphics are on the back burner while they work on the gameplay first. So if you expect the game to look like WarZ or DayZ, you're going to have to wait. The developers said they are aiming for the game to look similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky. I'm really excited for this game and it's only 25 dollars right now. Did I mention there will be vehicles such as cars, planes, and boats? Oh, and you can make your own safe houses wherever you want. So much potential with this game it isn't funny.

Edit: Yes, I know there is another thread on this game. It's fell to page 5 or 6 and I am unable to bump the thread to get it on the first page. So if a mod can merge these threads, that'd be cool.

Yeah, I heard about the single player offline mode, and I'm sure that'll definitely appeal to a lot of people. I, myself, will probably shift between Hardcore FFA and Team PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Yeah, I heard about the single player offline mode, and I'm sure that'll definitely appeal to a lot of people. I, myself, will probably shift between Hardcore FFA and Team PVP.
    I'll probably stick with survival. Maybe play Team PVP with some friends. Mainly because I'm not really a fan of PVP in these games. Guess you can call me a care bear. I don't know, if I wanted to PVP and kill people on sight, I would be playing Call of Duty, you know?

http://www.thedeadlinger.com/archives/1099

I think I'm gonna have to throw $25 towards the devs for Alpha access, even bearing in mind the game will be ugly during alpha. No NDA as well.

http://www.thedeadlinger.com/archives/1099

I think I'm gonna have to throw $25 towards the devs for Alpha access, even bearing in mind the game will be ugly during alpha. No NDA as well.

I have high hopes for the game. I already purchased it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 06:08 PM ----------

Why this game is going to be better the DayZ and WarZ.

The question was asked:

Can we customize vehicles?

Developer answered.

We have plans to move our (future) free-form barricading system over to welding materials to vehicles. It's fairly straightforward once we have the non-vehicle barricading and welding in the game. In other words; yes.

I have high hopes for the game. I already purchased it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 06:08 PM ----------

Why this game is going to be better the DayZ and WarZ.

The question was asked:

Can we customize vehicles?

Developer answered.

We have plans to move our (future) free-form barricading system over to welding materials to vehicles. It's fairly straightforward once we have the non-vehicle barricading and welding in the game. In other words; yes.
    Sweeet. I went ahead and picked up Alpha access myself. I was gonna wait, but fuck it, it's 25 bucks. There are just a lot of neat little features, that if implemented correctly, will really make this an enjoyable game. Hopefully you'll be able to wack things with a rifle if you run out of ammo. I'd like if you could turn something into a gun stock war club (think putting a spike on the bottom side of the stock) once crafting is introduced, or even a bayonet.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-10-28 at 09:31 PM.

Sweeet. I went ahead and picked up Alpha access myself. I was gonna wait, but fuck it, it's 25 bucks. There are just a lot of neat little features, that if implemented correctly, will really make this an enjoyable game. Hopefully you'll be able to wack things with a rifle if you run out of ammo. I'd like if you could turn something into a gun stock war club (think putting a spike on the bottom side of the stock) once crafting is introduced, or even a bayonet.
    Assuming there is still no NDA would it be possible for you to take a screenshot including a zombie, I'm tempted to try this game out but I'm yet to see any zombies yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Assuming there is still no NDA would it be possible for you to take a screenshot including a zombie, I'm tempted to try this game out but I'm yet to see any zombies yet.
    There isn't an NDA. I'm sure they'll be a ton of stuff out, but sure I'll snap some shots of it.

However I've got to emphasize that everything will probably look bad graphics wise since it's a true Alpha. I think they want to get gameplay nailed down first before adding the shiny. The devs have said they're gonna roll out updates every two weeks once Alpha starts, but I'm still taking everything with a grain of salt obviously.