I've read many guides including using AskMrRobot and I am confused as to which would help me the most when starting heroics.
I am currently using AskMrRobot's gearing strategy called "Control/Master" because it appears to be good as it controls incoming damage more. But it's reforging lots of dodge/parry to hit/expertise (to reach the cap).
Any suggestions to help me succeed in heroics without being destroyed?
If you're gearing up for raids, here's your priority
1) Hit Cap 7.5% (2550 hit rating)
2) Expertise up to 15% (5100 expertise rating) - you will not get to it at first, you'll be sitting around ~10% and this is ok.
3) Stam - aim for about 440K - 470K
4) Haste - you attack faster, you get more HoPo - you live longer
5) Mastery - ditto
6) Parry - reforge from it into mastery
7) Dodge - reforge from it into mastery
Not raiding, ever. Just heroics and maybe those world bosses? I'm a very casual player, few hours a week at most.
Then you just need hit (7.0 I believe for heroics), expertise (don't remember what the value is), and then haste -> mastery. Haste is powerful for 5-mans, but for raiding it's mastery. And then just reforge for when you want to do world bosses.