Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadinar View Post
    Pretty sure its a closest or even random, its definitely not smart. I've had holy prisms completely overheal for all their value, when several people were damaged. The fact that its not smart is what makes me switch it out on a a lot of fights, only on fights where I know people won't stay still for light's hammer do I grab it.

    That said its still a solid, low cost, single target heal, instant cast heal which is useful in various situations.
    This. In its current state Holy Prism is just bad. It isn't reliable because Blizzard did not classify it as as a smart heal. I put in an in game suggestion asking them to do it, I suggest everyone who reads this does. In the mean time, Light's Hammer really just wins out.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    I actually reall wanted to like Holy Prism. It's a really cool mechanic that gives a lot of latitude in how it can be used. Single-target heal, group heal as well as single-target and aoe damage options. Since Holy is severly lacking in the AoE damage department with the Consecrate and Holy Wrath relegated to other specs, I was all for picking it up. And to be perfectly honest, in 5-man's its absolutely great. The range is large enough that it can usually hit the entire group if a boss or trash mob is the 'prism', and it gives a nice quick single-target heal for those spots when DL is just too long of a cast and you don't want to burn the mana for FoL.

    That said, in a raiding environment, I don't care for it. The healing is limited to 5 targets, weakening its usefulness in group healing situations. The single-target version with an ally as the 'prism' isn't bad (slightly stronger than HS), but I feel that its rarely necessary to get a fast but relatively small heal off in a raid. Other healers can fill gaps in your casts so you don't have to worry as much about a tank being gibbed mid-cast, and frankly raiding tanks are generally better about managing their cd's so they don't balance on the brink of death too often.

    In addition to all of that, Holy Prism IS NOT a smart-heal. Running LFR the other day, I used ran Prism just to try it out. Over the entire raid, I believe Prism managed to do something like 60% of its possible output as overhealing. Even in situations where the group had just taken a pretty big hit (Feng's Epicenter or Stone Guard Overload for example) it managed to pick the 5 people who were the closest to full health and do some minimal amount of real healing.

    All that said, there are a few cases I could see usefulness from it. Gara'jal's spirit realm would allow HP to be fairly effective, since overhealing is still good for stacking damage buffs on dps, as well as allowing you to contribute some damage to the adds. However, I think in the long run, we'll probably see Prism relegated to 5-man content with some possible use in 10-man raiding on specific fights. Overall, Light's Hammer is just a more powerful spell when utilized well.
    I completely agree. I love Holy Prism in 5-mans, and I use it in LFR because it's fun and LFR isn't serious, but in my 10-man I go Light's Hammer every time. It's just too powerful to not take when you consider how Holy Prism doesn't even heal the people that need it so often.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    This is too dumb to be serious. 8/10 for getting me to reply I guess.
    what's dumb about it? light's hammer is impossible to use on Heroic Spirit Kings (all the moving around and spreading out means it does nothing), and as stated before, Holy Prism is a poorly designed spell. it's more valuable to do 4 or 5 million damage (even more if you can weave other forms of DPS in) than use something that does very little healing. it's even better on fights like Garajal, where you need to do as much damage as you can. Execution Sentence is free (as is light's hammer) and you only lose the one GCD, which with procs can be up to 600k damage. that is more damage for one GCD than a lot of DPS classes can get. when you are wiping to enrages on bosses below 5% and healing was fine, you suddenly want to try to find ways to gain extra damage. Light's Hammer in that situation doesn't heal for enough compared to the damage gain of using Execution Sentence (which scales with your Spellpower if you're holy).

    maybe you're not progressing in Heroic raids, or are too weak as a healing team to think of using one GCD for something other than healing output, but in most fights there's dead time where using one GCD to do 500k or more damage makes a lot of sense.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Flayful View Post
    what's dumb about it? light's hammer is impossible to use on Heroic Spirit Kings (all the moving around and spreading out means it does nothing), and as stated before, Holy Prism is a poorly designed spell. it's more valuable to do 4 or 5 million damage (even more if you can weave other forms of DPS in) than use something that does very little healing. it's even better on fights like Garajal, where you need to do as much damage as you can. Execution Sentence is free (as is light's hammer) and you only lose the one GCD, which with procs can be up to 600k damage. that is more damage for one GCD than a lot of DPS classes can get. when you are wiping to enrages on bosses below 5% and healing was fine, you suddenly want to try to find ways to gain extra damage. Light's Hammer in that situation doesn't heal for enough compared to the damage gain of using Execution Sentence (which scales with your Spellpower if you're holy).

    maybe you're not progressing in Heroic raids, or are too weak as a healing team to think of using one GCD for something other than healing output, but in most fights there's dead time where using one GCD to do 500k or more damage makes a lot of sense.
    Show me logs of 500k damage per cast and I will agree with you.

  5. #45
    I only use Holy Prism for the 3rd boss in MSV. Or any other boss in the future that doesn't have a stacked up raid taking AoE damage.

    Other than that, Holy Prism all the way for 5 man content. But it really needs to be a smart heal and a smart damage spell.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornstyle View Post
    I prefer the use of LH on fight which need a lot of Stacking and AoE dmg(for example, Feng) but if the tacts needs more spread like the Spirit Kings i pref Holy Prism...
    I used Light's Hammer on Spirit Kings Heroic and it still ended up to be 6.5% of my total healing. It's useful on the first boss and maddening shouts.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Yes, I'm aware how Light's Hammer works. I misread the original quote and thought it was about Holy Prism.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 04:00 PM ----------



    You should be able to set up an aura that notifies you if your sacred shield is not active on a friendy raid member, no? Not sure, I stopped using PowerAuras and use Weak Auras now.
    Thats what I am doing, but no timer, and I need a timer.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    Thats what I am doing, but no timer, and I need a timer.
    I know DBM offers a way to create a timer. You could write a macro to create a timer as you cast Sacred Shield.

    Or, instead, you could add a SS indicator to your raid frames. Using Vuhdo, I have an indicator showing who it's on and that counts down when under 10 seconds. I did the same thing for SS during Wrath and for Beacon of Light since 3.0. If you're not watching your frames often enough to maintain SS then you may be using Denounce, CS, and/or Execution Sentence too often.

  9. #49
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,206
    I really have to try them both out now. I was seriously thinking of dropping execution stance (doesn't seem to really be helping me much when I pug raids, do 5-mans or LFR) and picking up Light's Hammer. I think it will fit me a little better than Prism, as prism seems to just be the original LoD from Cata beta but you choose a target.

    Does anyone find execution stance useful at all or am I just not using it on the right fights?

    (I don't mean to derail, but since you guys are talking about the talents, it seems like a decent place to ask rather than start a new topic).
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis) Aliyra 90 Mistweaver Monk (Korgath)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  10. #50
    I started using Light's hammer but lately i always use Holy Prism.... It's a quite nice spell to instant heal a target or AOE healing (Ok, some times it fails to target players with low health)and with low CD. It's very important to choose between an Ally or an Enemie target.

    Anyways it depends on the fight. If there's not a lot of movement and people is grouped or there are adds Light hammer is way better.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Does anyone find execution stance useful at all or am I just not using it on the right fights?

    (I don't mean to derail, but since you guys are talking about the talents, it seems like a decent place to ask rather than start a new topic).
    ES is terrible for healers, we don't have a need for more single target healing and the only use of it is in PvP for a pressure/hot, Light's Hammer is pretty much just flat better than Prism specially if you're doing a 25 man, only time Prism is worth switching out is for fights where its just not possible to group up and stand still for the duration

  12. #52
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,206
    Just switched to Light's Hammer and I love it! Thanks!
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis) Aliyra 90 Mistweaver Monk (Korgath)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    ES is terrible for healers, we don't have a need for more single target healing and the only use of it is in PvP for a pressure/hot, Light's Hammer is pretty much just flat better than Prism specially if you're doing a 25 man, only time Prism is worth switching out is for fights where its just not possible to group up and stand still for the duration
    I use ES on 10m heroic stone guards due to the high tank damage and everyone being too spread for light's hammer.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    I use ES on 10m heroic stone guards due to the high tank damage and everyone being too spread for light's hammer.
    Light's Hammer only has to hit a couple of targets to match up to ES. I never have any problem in 10 man catching 2-3 people at least, particularly where the melee are.

  15. #55
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    106
    Holy Prism on Elegon, during phase 2 you can use it on a melee when adds spawn for a 70-130k on all sparks to help out with some decent damage. As we doesn't have any problem with annihilation I find that more useful than LH (though that is normal 10m). Been playing around with LH alot more.

    Any tips for Garalon, barely used LH yesterday cause people were to spread out and constant movement, prism should be better if im not mistaken?


  16. #56
    Holy Prism is my favority, because of the short cooldown and the damage/spreadhealing

  17. #57
    LH has no mana coast...simple like that....at low gear, ill definitively go for LH.

  18. #58
    Holy Prism will now always Heal the 5 closest allies with the lowest health.

    Just wondering if anyone has tried it since this hotfix?

  19. #59
    Blademaster Dolzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    36
    I've messed with it in LFR this morning and it was one of my top heals i can't wait to use it tonight in raid!

  20. #60
    I am looking forward to trying it as well. Light's hammer isn't cutting it on H blade lord.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •