Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    One might find it hard to consider these studies valid since they are very old in terms of technical progression. Also in terms of radiation microwave ovens is alot worse than a cell phone according to this studie http://curezone.org/foods/microwave_oven_risk.asp?
    Two of the articles on the study are in 2011 and one can safely assume that a large number of students still have a phone from the year or earlier.

The fact that a cell phone is compared to the radiation of a microwave or oven further proves the point, the key difference is your not placing any parts of your body so close to a microwave or oven for longer than 30 seconds where as a cell phone on the other hand is used hours per day by a student after and during school and is continously in close contact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    As i argue it is indeed a good thing for these children to not have children, many of them are the term "swag" and this also helps with out population issues.
    I wish I could agree with this but the human race must go on! It is in a rather troubling time but we must keep a speck of hope and I'm certain there will be a select few champions of the coming generation that will combat "swag"
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-10-21 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As i argue it is indeed a good thing for these children to not have children, many of them are the term "swag" and this also helps with out population issues.
    Saying "radiation is good because idiots will stop breeding" isn't a valid argument. You don't get to decide this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Saying "radiation is good because idiots will stop breeding" isn't a valid argument. You don't get to decide this.
    I am not the one who decides this, It is they who decide this by keeping their phones way to close to their junk!

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 01:06 AM ----------

ALso imagine self control being taught in schools especially at the elementary and mid/high school levels

If teachers actually acted on kids who text in class aka looked out for the kid staring at his junk that glows (due to a phone in his lap) and called it out each time instead of being passive the students would have no choice other than to either accept lower grades, or learn self control

ALso imagine self control being taught in schools especially at the elementary and mid/high school levels

If teachers actually acted on kids who text in class aka looked out for the kid staring at his junk that glows (due to a phone in his lap) and called it out each time instead of being passive the students would have no choice other than to either accept lower grades, or learn self control
    Which as you've said is a double sided blade and majority of students that use a phone during class continue with it resulting in lower grades very few even listen to teachers.

Self-control can be taught in other ways and is something learnt simply by living life. It would be better safe than sorry removing phones completely rather than risk grades to teach students self-control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Which as you've said is a double sided blade and majority of students that use a phone during class continue with it resulting in lower grades very few even listen to teachers.

Self-control can be taught in other ways and is something learnt simply by living life. It would be better safe than sorry removing phones completely rather than risk grades to teach students self-control.
    Students risk their grades every single day doing other things, why not use phones as a major factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need to be giving them more distractions.

There's already fire on most of this house, why not not light up the dining room, too?

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need to be giving them more distractions.

There's already fire on most of this house, why not not light up the dining room, too?
    Well they will always find more ways to be distracted. Taking away phones will not end this, Children have been distracted for generations with out them.

Well they will always find more ways to be distracted. Taking away phones will not end this, Children have been distracted for generations with out them.
    This is indeed true but cell phones are one of the biggest distractions currently and removing them will show a improvement I would imagine very quickly, not only can you communicate with others via mobile but now you can browse the internet and download an endless amount of applications.

(Sorry I'm Australian and saying cell phone over mobile has gotten to me :3 )

10+ Year Old Account
    @GennGreymane

So we should set the dining room on fire?

I ask because that is what you're saying; the problem is there already, why not add another obstacle that we have to deal with in our attempt to fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    @GennGreymane

So we should set the dining room on fire?

I ask because that is what you're saying; the problem is there already, why not add another obstacle that we have to deal with in our attempt to fix it.
    if the dining room is already on fire its already going to spread to the rest of the house this analogy is weird in that sense. If anything the house has been engulfed in flame for centuries.

This is indeed true but cell phones are one of the biggest distractions currently and removing them will show a improvement I would imagine very quickly, not only can you communicate with others via mobile but now you can browse the internet and download an endless amount of applications.

(Sorry I'm Australian and saying cell phone over mobile has gotten to me :3 )
    there will always be a new currently distracting thing.

out right banning something has never worked. Kids find ways to bring anything to school. That water bottle is not even water.... its 140% russian water

heck! to quote on how children will always be children

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

by my home boy Socrates

I dont think them ancient greeks had mobile devices of any kind

Also it seems that hose burned down thousands of years ago.... and it had columns and was made of marble!
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2012-10-22 at 06:08 AM.

Deleted
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

by my home boy Socrates

I dont think them ancient greeks had mobile devices of any kind

Also it seems that hose burned down thousands of years ago.... and it had columns and was made of marble!
    I know this might sound stupid, because I'm going to ask for a source of Socrates(LOL), but, do you have any kind of source for that quote?

Also, try using examples that are present on today, not on thousands of years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we would try and put out the fire, not make it worse.

But I suppose this analogy is becoming tired and shouldn't be the basis for this debate.

Additionally, if this has been a problem for so long, why do you think that it would change by not doing anything about it? Do you think that teachers would be able to crack down on cell phone users in class any more effectively than they do now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I know this might sound stupid, because I'm going to ask for a source of Socrates(LOL), but, do you have any kind of source for that quote?

Also, try using examples that are present on today, not on thousands of years ago.

well the example i posted was to prove a point, kids will be kids and they will suck since god knows when B.C.E

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 01:08 PM ----------

I think we would try and put out the fire, not make it worse.

But I suppose this analogy is becoming tired and shouldn't be the basis for this debate.

Additionally, if this has been a problem for so long, why do you think that it would change by not doing anything about it? Do you think that teachers would be able to crack down on cell phone users in class any more effectively than they do now?
    kinda hard to put out the fire when the house is already burned to the ground. Kids have always been the way they are. Its been over 2000 years since that quote and kids have acted like.... well kids since. From what I can tell most teachers do not care unless they have a strong incentive behind them for example. I know i lose 15 points on my next test in my university for using my cell phone in class 0.0 but some kids still do it any way (with out losing a single point)

if you also want to bring up the topic of A.D.D you wont believe how many elementary level children have it. Who would have guessed 6 year olds have trouble sitting still and focusing.

I dont think its phones its human nature. Most students wont care about classes they simply do not care about, but will be happy in classes they do like.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2012-10-22 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am interested in an answer to my last question in my response you quoted. Do you think that teachers would be able to crack down on cell phone users in class any more effectively than they do now?

Also, I never mentioned A.D.D.

If we're discussing elementary school, the kids don't need cell phones anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am interested in an answer to my last question in my response you quoted. Do you think that teachers would be able to crack down on cell phone users in class any more effectively than they do now?

Also, I never mentioned A.D.D.

If we're discussing elementary school, the kids don't need cell phones anyways.
    THey dont need a lot of things

DOnt forget im arguing with multiple ppl since my team is AWOL!

I think teachers can. Its easy to spot the kid with the glowing crotch (cell phone light) you know that kid whose just lookin down there.

Back to A.D.D them elementary school kids dont need phones, plenty of bright shinny colorful things are in their classrooms already to distract them, hell the kid sitting next to them is a ton of distraction already. plus the cooites.

and thats just in school

all that sugar drinks, food, desserts, snacks. T.V at home, computers at home. No wonder they cant focus on fractions

wait why are phones the cause again?
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2012-10-23 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said there is just one cause?

10+ Year Old Account
    the argument is that cell phones should not be allowed in school since they are a distraction

but what difference does it make with all of the other distractions around the children on a daily basis, and my examples were just elementary level. I didnt even go into mid school and high school distractions (which are pretty obvious)

10+ Year Old Account
    Keyword (letter) being "a". They are "a" distraction, and we are discussing whether or not we should remove this one distraction.

Following your logic, how would allowing cell phones enable the students to gain self control when there are all of these other distractions that teachers aren't able to counter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Keyword (letter) being "a". They are "a" distraction, and we are discussing whether or not we should remove this one distraction.

Following your logic, how would allowing cell phones enable the students to gain self control when there are all of these other distractions that teachers aren't able to counter?
    actually the teachers do have plenty of control. At the elementary level... dont decorate the class room. At the mid/high school level many schools use uniforms. For cell phones? Its kinda hard for me to believe that is the true distraction since well..... kids been misbehaving since who knows how long.

10+ Year Old Account
    actually the teachers do have plenty of control. At the elementary level... dont decorate the class room. At the mid/high school level many schools use uniforms. For cell phones? Its kinda hard for me to believe that is the true distraction since well..... kids been misbehaving since who knows how long.
    So we should be more authoritarian in regards to visual stimuli, but less authoritarian when it comes to electronic devices. You're not being very consistent here.