View Poll Results: Lawful people ...

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's how everyone should be like! Always follow the rules!

58 46.03%
  • Don't care...

44 34.92%
  • Dislike them ...

24 19.05%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'd rather live in a society where people follow the laws that are set in place to protect us, tyvm. If that makes me lawful, so be it. If that means Anarchor will look at me in contempt, I could not care less.

Lawful and proud of it.

Granted, I do believe laws go overboard sometimes and those laws need to be struck down, but over all, laws are a good thing for society.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

The poster is renowned for starting controversial topics, that only take extremes into consideration. There is a nice middle ground that the majority of us live in.

I love mocking and pissing them off.
    They're EXTREMELY easy to provoke.

Daily Irony:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Naming and shaming isn't allowed. Same reason why I reported the thread on mmo-c.
    EDIT:
    I'll tell you what is against the rules...

This thread being reopened as a continuation of an earlier thread that was closed by the moderators on this board.
    Damn them Lawful people.

Really, Anarchor?

OT: I don't dislike Lawful people the least, but your poll is so biased it's silly.

Where's the "I partly agree" or "I feel like some rules should be kept more than others"-esque option?

My personal thoughts on the matter is that as long as you take responsiblity for your actions and clean your shit up, you can go do whatever you please, as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process...
    Wanna throw garbage all over the place? Cool. Are you ready to pay for that shit/Clean it up? If not, then why should others clean it up for you?

I'd say a small amount of common sense and general courtesy goes a long way.
    Last edited by athanasios; 2012-10-21 at 12:06 PM.
    The biggest mistake one can make, is not admitting when you're wrong.

Grimshac - Neptulon, 4th best guild on Alliance side, Resto Shaman !

I'm pretty certain I'm not the only person who hates "lawful people"... You know them, the types that get shocked, outraged, flabbergasted, surprised at the thought of someone doing something that isn't completely within regulations, rules and laws.

Someone blocking a mailbox in World of Warcraft? Omg! Ban that disgusting griefer, the ToS got broken!!!
    Someone driving 60 where the maximum speed is 50? Throw that criminal in jail for a few years, how irresponsible!!!

Seriously, I hate them. I get disgusted by them. To put this more philosophically, they are the domesticated herd animals that we humans aren't meant to become.

Lawfulness represents all that is wrong and evil in the world to me. The inability to stray from a set of values and norms, the lack of flexibility with your own morals, that blindness to alternative truths and solutions.

Long live us chaotic, unlawful types who will bend, ignore or twist the rules and laws a bit in our benefit, sometimes for selfish reasons ... but very often too for very altruistic and benevolent reasons.
    I agree with you for the most part. But in regard of your last paragraph, I think that some people also bend the rules too hard. You must always make a distinction between being a "herd animal" and being an egoistic prick. The key to everything is appropriateness. And that is based upon the very understanding of rights and wrongs, thus it's very very hard to measure. If you do your thing and make your own decisions while also watching out and caring for others, you are on the right way I think. Think your own thoughts, but don't forget others.

Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    Daily Irony......
    Anarchor reported a post for being against the ToS? Great find anthanasios....I'd love to hear what he has to say about this, but alas, he seems to have vanished from his fail topic.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    Daily Irony:

EDIT:

Damn them Lawful people.

Really, Anarchor?
    Obviously. Sometimes I try to use their own tools against them. All in all this vodka business isn't the crux of the whole ordeal. I very often find myself questioning other people's behaviour when they so blindly follow all the rules and walk between the lines. Up to a point I believe that, like another author said it better than me: "Instead of the domesticated dog, mankind is making itself it's best friend." ... Back in the 70ies even the police were much more lenient with everything that went on, nowadays it's just a bunch of brainwashed stuck-up pigs, that would arrest their own wives.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my own moral compass, and seriously, whomever knows me in person knows that I'm not a bad or evil person or have bad intentions and bla bla bla ... nor am I going to have myself blackmailed into feeling devastated because I was young, wild and stupid when I was a student. All in all I find it rather ... miserable that someone needs to pull something from a completely unrelated thread out of context and brings it here to derail and dumb down the discussion. It might not be against the forums rules, but it's still despicable behaviour in the eyes of people who can rely on their own moral compass instead of blindly having to depend upon the strict following of laws.

Furthermore, I'm not saying I'm against the concept of laws and nowhere in this thread am I saying that we should just completely ignore laws. I don't even know where people are getting this black and white dichotomy from. I just don't think there is justification for the behaviour of the smug, supercilious and always political correct that the rules, laws and regulations always 100% strictly need to be lived by. That is just obsessive herd mentality behaviour and kills off all critical thinking and independant resilience against power-abuse.
    "Civilized men and bloody giants."

Furthermore, I'm not saying I'm against the concept of laws and nowhere in this thread am I saying that we should just completely ignore laws. I don't even know where people are getting this black and white dichotomy from.

Your poll makes it pretty black and white, right from the start -- either someone apparently always follows the rules, or doesn't. Such a horribly made poll.

Honestly, all you do is contradict yourself. You're worse than a shitty pancake.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Honestly, all you do is contradict yourself. You're worse than a shitty pancake.
    I don't see where the poll anywhere is saying that someone needs to:
    A) Obey all laws
    or
    B) Break all laws

That is the dichotomy I'm talking about, that often gets referred to. If you think I'm contradicting myself it's probably because you're too simple-minded to see nuances and divisions in what is being discussed.

Either way you're the "special kinda person" that managed to derail and dumb down this thread by bring something completely unrelated and out of context into this discussion with your first post. Reminds me of american pre-elections. This similar thread is just being discussed in a very civilized manner on another forum. Here are some other replies:

Quote Originally Posted by sm
    Yes. They are annoying.

Just because a law is passed doesn't necessarily mean its right or for the best - just or *moral*. Often enforcing morality is far worse than not enforcing it and results in the society we now have - the majority of people believing that the status quo and traditional practices are what is morally right and fair - instead of encouraging or cultivating a society that challenges existing conditions and states of affairs to change the parameters of how our world is governed by an elite few. Sheep indeed.

Fay ce que vouldras
    Quote Originally Posted by T
    We're going to start seeing more convictions for petty crimes caught on camera, as by 2020, everyone will be recording every second of their day for "+1 me" video blogs.

Take a look at this clip:

[spoiler=]The cyclist is never in danger, the driver gives him enough space as he passes. And this cyclist catches up with the driver and asks "Did you just try to kill me?"

The annoyed driver says "yeah, yeah I did", with some profanity thrown in, which sounds like "You're a fucking little prick mate" - but that's besides the point. The cyclist gets the answer he wants on camera and scores a conviction.[/spoiler]

Within a couple of years, Google's "Project Glass" and similar spectacles will be on the market, ready to record every moment of your lives and you will have a subset of deviants abusing this technology to exploit the laws.
    Last edited by True Anarch; 2012-10-21 at 12:23 PM.

I don't see where the poll anywhere is saying that someone needs to:
    A) Obey all laws
    or
    B) Break all laws

That is the dichotomy I'm talking about, that often gets referred to. If you think I'm contradicting myself it's perhaps because you're too simple-minded to see nuances and divisions in what is being discussed.
    Too simple minded, says the guy who's moved goal posts several times in this thread alone. What's simple minded is making a poll where a person has to choose either to have a stick up his ass (always follow the rules) or to dislike people who always have a stick up their ass, but leaves nowhere for people who do find the relevance of rules, but understand that they can be bent. Why don't you come back with a thread where you don't start it off with a 12 year old's poll, and maybe you can start dissing others about being simple minded.

As I said, scab on society's backside.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Furthermore, I'm not saying I'm against the concept of laws and nowhere in this thread am I saying that we should just completely ignore laws.
    Lawfulness represents all that is wrong and evil in the world to me.
    Uhhhhhh what?

Seems most people disagree with your obvious 'butt-hurt about a video game' post. It's funny to me that in your pathetic butt-hurt rage you actually hit the nail on the head with the natural laws of the universe. Chaos is the natural order, the universe is a violent place and it naturally rewards enitities that flow within this chaos not that fight against it. But, what people want is for someone to see this, understand it, and then rise above it. Because we have intelligence to understand this we should also have enough intelligence to see why we need to act differently and bring some law and compassion to the lawless and unfriendly universe. It's a lot like racism. I've always said racism is a completely natural feeling that is more normal than someone who is "just not racist". But what proponents against racism are really arguing is because you are a thinking/feeling rational human being - you should go against this natural feeling and rise above it. You are smarter than being a stark racist - you are a smart human being fight those feelings back. And just like a lawful person, they are rising above the natural chaos of everything. Why this is all funny to me is that with this whiney, butt-hurt post complaining about laws shows everyone you would be the first to be eaten alive in a world like that. You come off and almost certainly are a little bitch - who would be the first to run to a cop for help when you need it - or call the fire company when your house is burning down. Oh, wait - those lawful people coming to put your house fire out - you forgot.. thats part of being lawful too? Because the chaotic - might piss on your house fire and laugh as your family burned inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Uhhhhhh what?
    Good job, if you manage to make the connection from one to the other, then I guess you're a special kind of person too.

Breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, what a badass!

I'm pretty certain I'm not the only person who hates "lawful people"... You know them, the types that get shocked, outraged, flabbergasted, surprised at the thought of someone doing something that isn't completely within regulations, rules and laws.

Someone blocking a mailbox in World of Warcraft? Omg! Ban that disgusting griefer, the ToS got broken!!!
    Someone driving 60 where the maximum speed is 50? Throw that criminal in jail for a few years, how irresponsible!!!

Seriously, I hate them. I get disgusted by them. To put this more philosophically, they are the domesticated herd animals that we humans aren't meant to become.

Lawfulness represents all that is wrong and evil in the world to me. The inability to stray from a set of values and norms, the lack of flexibility with your own morals, that blindness to alternative truths and solutions.

Long live us chaotic, unlawful types who will bend, ignore or twist the rules and laws a bit in our benefit, sometimes for selfish reasons ... but very often too for very altruistic and benevolent reasons.

This is a pretty bad buttfuckery of the Dungeons and Dragons alignment system. I realize you're trying to apply the concept of it to real life, and as such are mainly just using the terminology, but still, I have to correct this, my inner D&D nerd demands that much.

Lawful is higher on the 9 point alignment system than chaotic for a damn good reason. Chaos inherently weakens good and strengthens evil. It cannot be evil itself obviously, as it is on the law/chaos axis, not good/evil, but its methods inhibit good and lend themselves towards evil. If an evil person is also chaotic, it achieves a synergistic effect. A truly chaotic person cannot be reasoned with easily, especially when evil, as chaotic evil is the closest thing to true insanity. As stated in the Player's Handbook page 106, "Chaotic Evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but also the order on which beauty and life depend."

Lawful Good, Crusader:
    Neutral Good, Benefactor:
    Chaotic Good, Rebel:
    Lawful Neutral, Judge:
    Neutral, Undecided:
    Chaotic Neutral, Free Spirit:
    Lawful Evil, Dominator:
    Neutral Evil, Malefactor:
    Chaotic Evil, Destroyer:

This is the 9 point alignment system and what it means. The idea, is that the higher someone is on the scale, the more "moral" that person is. Both true law and true chaos are comparatively low on the scale. Any type of good is better than either of them, and any type of evil is worse, but one is closer to good and one is closer to evil. That is why Paladins must be lawful good, because it puts them as far away from evil as possible, making a downward morality shift less damaging, and going down into the evil range extremely unlikely. Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I don't like either lawful or chaotic people. My level 40 Paladin has punched both in the face before for being stupid and endangering the entire cosmos with their selfishness.

D&D 101, motherfuckers.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

Good job, if you manage to make the connection from one to the other, then I guess you're a special kind of person too.
    There's no connection. You said two diametrically opposed things.

Warning: Let's keep discussion civil and constructive, please, guys. No need for sniping.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    There's no connection. You said two diametrically opposed things.
    Exactly. There is no connection.

So laws and following laws represent everything that is wrong and evil in this world, but you still think we should do it anyway?

That makes even less sense. Take a firm stand one way or the other brocheese, you're crumbling like a wet cracker.

Exactly. Which is why someone would have to be very special to see a connection.
    Deadvolcanoes wasn't pointing out a "connection" and you know it. The point, and everyone can tell this, is that you are extraordinarily inconsistent.

And stop trying to insinuate that anyone who points that out is trolling.