Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Comparing to score of other WoW expansions, 83% is low.
    Cataclysm left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. That's going to color early reviews, and a good number of people aren't jazzed about a number of things, between launch day bugs, rep grinding, and valor gear being locked behind reps locked behind reps.

Early reviews are nice, but they're kind of a moot point. Cataclysm got 95% out the starting gate in many reviews, but the expansion saw subs at their lowest since BC, finished driving the wedge between the hardcore and casual player bases that Wrath began, and ended up ultimately as a failed experiment wherein Blizz tried to push the player base into a more hardcore mindset with harder release and 4.1 5-mans, 10/25-man content being normalized to 25-man difficulty (when before, 10-man was easier to account for a smaller margin of error with only 10 people), and it blew up in their faces. They went back to ICC's Frozen Halls difficulty level with the Hour of Twilight 5-mans, and LFR opened up raiding to a portion of the player base that had historically not raided (skyrocketing raid attendance), and while that stemmed the sub bleed for one quarter, it was too little too long and Dragon Soul had to stretch longer than it was built to.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Better than the ignorant children on Metacritic who down reviewed it to abyssmal scores just because of "Kung Fu Panda".
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Better than the ignorant children on Metacritic who down reviewed it to abyssmal scores just because of "Kung Fu Panda".
    so it's bad if ppl vote something down because they don't pandas, but it's ok to vote it up if they like pandas or Chinese theme and ofc ignore huge problems the game has?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There is a difference between real reviews from critics and users and paid-for-reviews.
    I think it would be very accurate to say 9 out of reviews are either based on personal issues or related to being payed off. It is very very very rare to find a person writing a review that gives positive and negative pointers without pushing his own ideas down the readers throat.

Usually, the score I rarely look at, if I look at a game review, usually a few, and see if they have a list of features, length, general synopsis of gameplay and story, if they sound appealing to me, it's a buy, if not, meh.

The best way I consider as well is a demo of a game, if I can play for a good hour or so for a game and it can suck me in, I'd be content with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Three of the reviews are 4 out of 5 or 80%.

So is 4 out of 5 (80%) bad?

Hint: It's all meaningless. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Seems about right in the context of the reviews.

Almost all the negatives I have seen are focused on.. it is old. But it IS old... there is no way to get around it having dated aspects to it when compared to new games. It will be impossible for it to not lose points in this area, and rightfully so, they are in the business of reviewing games and graphics and other factors DO matter..

IMO it feels like all the rating would be 90+ if the game was not so obviously 8 years of age and counting.
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

I would rate it max 70%

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    I would rate it max 70%
    You haven't even played it. Why the fuck would you even try to rate it?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by sanaubia View Post
    so it's bad if ppl vote something down because they don't pandas, but it's ok to vote it up if they like pandas or Chinese theme and ofc ignore huge problems the game has?
    It's bad if their entire reasoning for disliking the Xpack is just because when they see it they just think it's Kung Fu Panda and think it's a joke without checking out what the actual expansion is about.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    You haven't even played it. Why the fuck would you even try to rate it?
    He likes to start things issues if you haven't noticed from his other posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I really don't care what someone else thinks of the game. I enjoy it, I thought it was worth the money. I play it myself and make an opinion, I don't let someone else tell me how to think or feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/64769...ria/index.html

Almost 1 month after release, Mists of Pandaria have only 83.43% score based on 14 reviews. What do you guys think? Do you agree with this score?
    its my considered opinion that the reviewers could be wrong, they could be right. Personally, I dont worry about rankings of a game, if I like it I play it, if I like it a lot I'll play it a lot, that said, there are a few things about the new expansion that grind my gears, but overall I'm quite pleased and will continue to play my 3 accounts for the foreseeable future.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Reviews can't really be compared with each other on pure numbers, especially past vs present games.

The exact same game that got 10/10 a few years ago might get 8/10 now, because it's partially based on innovation and also standards are constantly evolving in terms of graphics and gameplay, so I think it's disingenuous to compare previous expansion scores to MoP's score directly. MoP could very well be close to the same quality, but our standards for quality are constantly rising.

It's the same reason that a game can be released time #1 on one system and get a high score, and then get re-released on another system (exact same game, no changes) and get a lower score a few years later. Standards have changed. It doesn't mean that YOU will enjoy MoP less than Cataclysm, WoTLK, TBC, or whatever. It just means that you're playing an old game in new wrapping and it doesn't apply a lot of newer conventions that critics expect from games "these days."

It's why Ocarina of Time is 10/10 and Ocarina of Time 3ds is 9.5/10, when the 3ds version is altogether a much better looking game with the same gameplay that got 10/10, and arguably slightly better gameplay because the button layout and UI have been streamlined better. It is not a worse game than Ocarina of Time. It's the same game. Just, it's not new. It is age'd. Lower score.

Is WoW still a great game? Yes. But it is also well aged, game mechanics-wise.
    Last edited by neccowafer; 2012-10-21 at 07:23 PM.

Deleted
    LOL @ scores, I've bought games with scores in the mid 90s only to find out those testers either had no clue, were fanbois or simply bought by the publisher.

"only" 83%? You say that as that is very bad and disappointing. That's so typical with people and scores and reviews these days. If it does not have over 90% approval then it sucks and is not worth buying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    "only" 83%? You say that as that is very bad and disappointing. That's so typical with people and scores and reviews these days. If it does not have over 90% approval then it sucks and is not worth buying.
    Comparing MoP to other WoW expansions - 83% score is really low.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    " Only "? I think 83.43% isnt bad. The only Opinions that matter on a game are your Own.
    Was going to say this myself. Since when is 83% a bad thing when a 50% score means its an average game?

Also I completely agree with the score. The xpac is awesome, although with flaws like every other xpac. 83% means it is a very good game and that seems like a fair score to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Comparing MoP to other WoW expansions - 83% score is really low.
    It's almost as if the growing MMO market has an effect on the reviewers expectations in terms of innovation.
    MoP doesn't try to re-invent the genre, because it doesn't need to.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Because these days anything not 95% + is bad lol....kids these days. Personally I am more engaged in the world than I have been since TBC and that is a good thing.

I myself do not base my enjoyment on what others think.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Since when is 83% a bad thing when a 50% score means its an average game?
    50% score means game is a poor shit these days - for example Duke Nukem Forever.