Nvidia 3d vision any good?

Just got my new computer all up and running, and well i realized ive been using this Toshiba monitor FOREEEVVVVEEEERRRRR now and have been looking into getting a new monitor.

Well my EVGA gtx 670 4gig superclocked card supports Nvidia 3d...well i wanted to know a couple things

How much does it affect gaming performance? (i play BF3, WoWzers, SC2, Dishonored (soon), and the new Medal of honor (soon))

Is it visually appealing? like is it worth it?

Ill be buying a ASUS monitor which is around from what i see 380-450 bucks so i wanna know if its worth it.

And where i work i wear glasses all day, so im not worried about wearing glasses while playing

System:
    HAF X
    ASUS Maximus V Formula mobo
    I7 3770k O.C- 4.6ghz
    H100 (push/pull)
    EVGA GTX 670 4g superclocked
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb OC to 2400mhz
    WD black 1tb (general Storage, SSD has games on them)
    2 OCZ Vertex 4 128gb (Boot drive and Game storage)
    Last edited by Furiex; 2012-10-21 at 06:20 PM.

It basically halves your FPS on average and you want around 25 FPS, anything less will likely strain your eyes. But with that there are some demanding effects you'll no longer need like some depth of field effects and you can lower your AA. It was totally worth it for me some games look just fantastic. WoW in 3D is pretty stunning once you get it set up nice (good depth and convergence) The witcher 2 is also stunning, but that looks fantastic in 2d as well. Your eyes do take bit to get used to it but I've found that eyestrain is not really an issue after a few uses. And with the new lightboost monitors and glasses you dont have to worry much about the screen being darker (big complaint of the originals but never bothered me much).

To each his own, but it was well worth the ~$200 bucks extra for me. I even got a 3D camera now because I enjoy it so much.

Deleted
    I have the VG27" 3D Vision Monitor. Its quite hit and miss with games I find.

For instance, once You realise that the depth is only half of the setup and you start messing about with convergence the games are shockingly good.

Max Payne 3 for instance was an absolute pleasure to play. Also anything on the HL2 engine.

Dead space was terrible imo.

Wow plays nicely too, but I get a bit fuzzed out due to my UI so I dont bother.

Whether it is worth the investment, is really down to your gaming style. I have a wealth of games of which 80% of them (made up stat) look the nuts in 3D, also I plug my PS3 into for extra 3D love.

So as far as setup, how do i go about that? Is it like a giant pain in the ass?

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 03:45 PM ----------

Who makes the lightboost monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Furiex View Post
    Just got my new computer all up and running, and well i realized ive been using this Toshiba monitor FOREEEVVVVEEEERRRRR now and have been looking into getting a new monitor.

Well my EVGA gtx 670 4gig superclocked card supports Nvidia 3d...well i wanted to know a couple things

How much does it affect gaming performance? (i play BF3, WoWzers, SC2, Dishonored (soon), and the new Medal of honor (soon))

Is it visually appealing? like is it worth it?

Ill be buying a ASUS monitor which is around from what i see 380-450 bucks so i wanna know if its worth it.

And where i work i wear glasses all day, so im not worried about wearing glasses while playing

System:
    HAF X
    ASUS Maximus V Formula mobo
    I7 3770k O.C- 4.6ghz
    H100 (push/pull)
    EVGA GTX 670 4g superclocked
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb OC to 2400mhz
    WD black 1tb (general Storage, SSD has games on them)
    2 OCZ Vertex 4 128gb (Boot drive and Game storage)

Did you ever make the leap into 3D?

I did, only a few days ago and I have to say, it's a piece of cake to setup and I love it.
    I don't think 3D is required for every game, for example I'm currently playing Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim & BF3. Batman & Skyrim are nothing short of amazing in 3D, it adds so much to it. I play as an archer in Skyrim and have turned the crosshair off which has made the game much more engaging, as I now work out in 3D, where to fire. I wasn't really playing Batman, but after seeing it in 3D, you betcha I'm gonna be playing it.

I played a full night of BF3 in 3D and whilst it looks decent, maybe 3D isn't really required as I'd rather have the extra FPS and not keep getting distracted 3D details like the dirt that gets thrown up from other soldiers boots etc.

My setup is as follows:
    2600k, GTX 670 OC, BENQ XL2420t monitor & Nvidia 3D Vsion 2 glasses kit (with emitter).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, in the meantime, I'll be fully immersed in Skyrim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skevster View Post
    Did you ever make the leap into 3D?

I did, only a few days ago and I have to say, it's a piece of cake to setup and I love it.
    I don't think 3D is required for every game, for example I'm currently playing Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim & BF3. Batman & Skyrim are nothing short of amazing in 3D, it adds so much to it. I play as an archer in Skyrim and have turned the crosshair off which has made the game much more engaging, as I now work out in 3D, where to fire. I wasn't really playing Batman, but after seeing it in 3D, you betcha I'm gonna be playing it.

I played a full night of BF3 in 3D and whilst it looks decent, maybe 3D isn't really required as I'd rather have the extra FPS and not keep getting distracted 3D details like the dirt that gets thrown up from other soldiers boots etc.

My setup is as follows:
    2600k, GTX 670 OC, BENQ XL2420t monitor & Nvidia 3D Vsion 2 glasses kit (with emitter).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, in the meantime, I'll be fully immersed in Skyrim.
    How did it effect your performance with that setup when playing battlefield 3?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's different variations of 3D. There's simple (two frames of a larger picture intersecting) and there's more advanced 3D (several layers). Simple 3D can be broken by closing one eye or the other, as it merely superimposed depth perception based on the number of eyes. Advanced 3D uses more frames and/or colors, and superimposes the depth perception of the FoV and color range of the eyes, and requires layers of colors to break it. Simple 3D has poor viewing angles and requires a fixed view, whereas advance 3D has poor color transition and requires a room with fixed lighting (or no lighting at all).

It's not worth investing in 3D peripherals if you can afford a 3D monitor. If you have a 60hz monitor, 3D will be in 30fps. If you have 120hz, 3D will be in 60fps, so on and so forth. 30fps is ok for console games (IE Dark Souls' engine is designed around 30fps, having more or less directly influences the behavior of the game, so you won't notice a difference.)

If you can't run a game with vsync at 60 fps or 120fps you shouldn't run it with 3D. The reason movies don't behave this way is because they are pre-rendered, whereas the game is constantly rendering.

If you are using the Nvidia peripheral you can avoid the need to get a 120hz monitor, but if you're a graphics junkie your OCD will probably go on a rampage having to deal with 30fps on a 60hz instead of 60fps on a 120hz.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D-Visi...cover-faq.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-games.html

My advice would be to get a warranty, as monitors can vary even if they are the same product. Ask if they'll let you try the monitor in the store.

*I didn't see the comment about prescription glasses. They do have a negative impact on the quality of the 3D if you need to wear them to see the screen.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2013-01-22 at 07:43 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    How did it effect your performance with that setup when playing battlefield 3?
    I play BF3 with a mix Ultra and High and my FPS is an average of 90 in 2D and a smidge over half that in 3D.
    Did you ever make the leap? If you did, Tomb Raider is worth checking out.