Playing WoW on a 120hz screen

Hey!

I've been playing WoW on a 120 hz screen for a few months now and I experienced some problems with it.

I'm playing mostly in windowed fullscreen mode and (for me) it isn't as smooth as it is in fullscreen mode - the reason why I'm playing in windowed fullscreen mode is that I got a triple monitor setup and I want to be able to switch between them fast, mainly for Skype, Internet, Music and all that stuff.

So is anyone else playing on a 120 hz screen and had the same problem? I tried everything and I googled for hours but I just cant find a solution.

BTW I have an ATI/AMD Radeon HD6850 - I'm getting 120 FPS but it just doesn't feel very smooth.

If I'm looking on a Stream like Dakkroth's one (this isn't meant as advertisement) it just looks extremely smooth. Sadly, I don't know his settings or anything like that and I don't know how to contact him.

Here you can see how smooth it is for him:

http://www.own3d.tv/Dakkroth/video/840669

I really appreciate any feedback!

I'd have to look into it but it sounds like your desktop is not running @ 120Hz and your Game is. Basically meaning when the game is fullscreen it completely controls and dominates the moment essentially minimizing windows allowing it to control the refresh rate where as windowed mode it is following some windows standards not the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I'd have to look into it but it sounds like your desktop is not running @ 120Hz and your Game is. Basically meaning when the game is fullscreen it completely controls and dominates the moment essentially minimizing windows allowing it to control the refresh rate where as windowed mode it is following some windows standards not the games.
    The Monitor is set to 120hz in Windows - everything is extremely smooth on my desktop.

But as mentioned I got a triple monitor setup - the two on the sides are 60hz monitors and the one in the middle is a 120hz one. Maybe that is the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely disable vSync through drivers (force off) and in game settings.

If vSync is enabled across multiple monitors which have different maximum refresh rates...I don't even know what would happen actually. I don't think how it's possible for the GPU to render at 60fps on 2 monitors and 120fps on 1 monitor all at the same time. It would simply pick a refresh rate consistent across all 3 monitors (i.e. 60hz) and go with that.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Completely disable vSync through drivers (force off) and in game settings.

If vSync is enabled across multiple monitors which have different maximum refresh rates...I don't even know what would happen actually. I don't think how it's possible for the GPU to render at 60fps on 2 monitors and 120fps on 1 monitor all at the same time. It would simply pick a refresh rate consistent across all 3 monitors (i.e. 60hz) and go with that.
    Which goes back to my theory of windowed mode vs full screen which would either span all 3 or only one monitor and 2 black ones, which would enable 120hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Which goes back to my theory of windowed mode vs full screen which would either span all 3 or only one monitor and 2 black ones, which would enable 120hz.
    It was never a smart choice to go with 2x 60 and 1x 120, it's the same as going with different GPU clock speeds on SLI or Triple-SLI, it will automatically underclock the higher ones to match the lowest one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if it helps, I have a double 120 hz screen setup, and it runs WoW just as smooth on windowed, as it does in fullscreen. So as the previous comments state, it is probably your two other 60 hz screens that are the source of the problem...

Just to clarify things - I'm not playing WoW on all 3 screens at the same time, like in Eyefinity mode.

In ATI settings I have the monitors set as "Extended monitors", only with that setting im even able to set the refresh rate seperately.
    If I enable Eyefinity mode, all of my monitors are set as 60hz.

Im only playing WoW on the 120hz monitor in the middle, the other 2 monitors are showing my desktop and other applications.