Thread: Case fans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    Its usually not listed, but you can pretty much bet that 95% of motherboards have some form of thermally controlled speed for the cpu and sys fan headers, whether its pwm(4pin) or voltage(3pin). Otherwise it would just run all fans at 100% all the time and waste power. The only way to know for sure (if its not listed in the details/manual) if the motherboard can do that is to plug a 3pin fan into the header and listen for the fan to change speeds, or use a utility like speedfan to manually change the speed.
    Unfortunately, that would require that I owned the motherboard.

Hoping some Asrock owner can post their motherboard model and whether they can 3 pin control their fan speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just call AsRock's tech support and ask them?
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    Why not just call AsRock's tech support and ask them?
    Because I have more faith in multiple independent third parties.

Deleted
    Although only a H61m, i can control only 4 pin fans using bios or Asrock OC app thing. All my fans are 3 pin and dont support speed control unless i get some rice fan controller that just 'rigs the voltage lower.

Usually motherboards only supports fan speed controlling if the connector matches the plug. i.e. 3 pin mobo can control 3 pin fans while 4 pin mobo can only 100% 3 pin fans.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Usually motherboards only supports fan speed controlling if the connector matches the plug. i.e. 3 pin mobo can control 3 pin fans while 4 pin mobo can only 100% 3 pin fans.
    Well, my ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard has several 3-pin case fans connected to the 4-pin chassis fan plugs. Fan Xpert can still control them. I wonder if this is still possible on the cheaper models such as the P8Z77-V LX/LK and Extreme4/Pro4.