Deleted

Back-pain from squatting?

Hey, is it normal to be having back-pain from doing squats? (Pain doesn't last, but is there right after having done a set) I usually do 'guided' squats. (Bar, but attached to an upward standing pole on each side to allow more backwards-leaned repetitions.) Pain is amplified when I do free-weight squatting.

I pack on weight equal to my max squatting strength without overstraining my legs - apparantly my back is, though? I put a lot of energy into straightening my back when doing this exercise to avoid any injuries.

Thoughts?

Best bet would be to ask one of the instructors at the gym to watch you, just to double check you are doing it correctly. alternatively, if you are worried about it, give it a rest for a few days and then build up again... dont go back into squatting full weights. You could also get a belt just for a little more support in your back. Also, Im guessing its your lower back muscle...
    (also perhaps your just getting too old!! ;P)

Quote Originally Posted by Stokkeren View Post
    Hey, is it normal to be having back-pain from doing squats? (Pain doesn't last, but is there right after having done a set) I usually do 'guided' squats. (Bar, but attached to an upward standing pole on each side to allow more backwards-leaned repetitions.) Pain is amplified when I do free-weight squatting.

I pack on weight equal to my max squatting strength without overstraining my legs - apparantly my back is, though? I put a lot of energy into straightening my back when doing this exercise to avoid any injuries.

Thoughts?
    Not normal. I think you must be leaning forward too much during the squat and turning it a bit into a good morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qojjg...eature=related. Good mornings put a lot of stress on your back. When doing a squat, you shouldn't have to be using your back for much of the lift other than support.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Not normal. I think you must be leaning forward too much during the squat and turning it a bit into a good morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qojjg...eature=related. Good mornings put a lot of stress on your back. When doing a squat, you shouldn't have to be using your back for much of the lift other than support.
    With all due respect to people who choose to do these 'good mornings', I'm not idiotic, and do not do squats with this form at all. I try having my body as upwards as possible, and I try to lean back as much as possible too. I'm not sure why they hurt so much

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokkeren View Post
    With all due respect to people who choose to do these 'good mornings', I'm not idiotic, and do not do squats with this form at all. I try having my body as upwards as possible, and I try to lean back as much as possible too. I'm not sure why they hurt so much
    Regardless, still probably not normal. I haven't lifted seriously in about 10 years, but the one piece of advice I do remember is that if something hurts you're almost definitely doing something wrong. Maybe get a trainer to have a peak at your form?
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

the number one reason people have back pain from squatting aside from bad form is because their back isn't strong enough! I've read articles that talk about using those smith racks are actually bad for you because they'll allow your legs to get "too strong" for your back. go lighter weight with free weight barbell squats and focus on building up your lower back strength by doing Romanian dead lifts and back extensions. A back squat is truly a full body movement.

Definitely swap to free weight squats. The smith machine takes almost all the work off of your hamstrings, back and abs, meaning your quads get too strong compared to those parts of your body and you can hurt yourself.

As far as your actual form, you should not be "leaning back as far as possible" as you said. Your back should be straight, and by straight I don't mean literally a straight line, I mean exactly how your back is when you're standing normally. Flex your abs so that you don't bend over and your back stays straight throughout the lift. Finally, make a concerted effort to push the weight up with your hips. A lot of people cheat by lifting their chest up to help them get through the sticking point--this is most likely your problem since you experience the back pain on the smith machine. To avoid this, keep your eyes looking up (for high bar squat) or looking down (for low bar squat) and really push the weight with your hips.

Low back pain is not uncommon. You will be fine as long as you really focus on that form, but for the love of god don't use the smith machine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooja View Post
    the number one reason people have back pain from squatting aside from bad form is because their back isn't strong enough! I've read articles that talk about using those smith racks are actually bad for you because they'll allow your legs to get "too strong" for your back. go lighter weight with free weight barbell squats and focus on building up your lower back strength by doing Romanian dead lifts and back extensions. A back squat is truly a full body movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Definitely swap to free weight squats. The smith machine takes almost all the work off of your hamstrings, back and abs, meaning your quads get too strong compared to those parts of your body and you can hurt yourself.

As far as your actual form, you should not be "leaning back as far as possible" as you said. Your back should be straight, and by straight I don't mean literally a straight line, I mean exactly how your back is when you're standing normally. Flex your abs so that you don't bend over and your back stays straight throughout the lift. Finally, make a concerted effort to push the weight up with your hips. A lot of people cheat by lifting their chest up to help them get through the sticking point--this is most likely your problem since you experience the back pain on the smith machine. To avoid this, keep your eyes looking up (for high bar squat) or looking down (for low bar squat) and really push the weight with your hips.

Low back pain is not uncommon. You will be fine as long as you really focus on that form, but for the love of god don't use the smith machine.
    Sounds like reasonable advice. Thank you guys, I'll try working on my lower back strength.

A side-view video would be ideal to offer the best corrections but Neazy gave some solid advice.

1) Avoid the Smith machine. There's a couple smith machines at my gym (for some reason) and the only thing any of the trainers use them for with clients is elevated push ups. They promote improper muscle activation during a squat and don't offer the balance or core/back improvements that your traditional ass-to-grass barbell squats do.

2) There's a difference between power lifting and Olympic squatting (albeit a means to an end for Olympic lifters). Both are valid forms and I recommend you look into both depending on what your gym goals are.

Any joint pain during weights is never a good sign

gotta keep heels on the floor and spine straight, dont do it for a bit and let it heal up, you dont want to mess with back pains trust me lol