Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did anybody nottice the "boss" tab on the achievement list? interesting considering most of them I haven't even seen them yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Again, contents for completionists. Who else thinks "hurray another puzzle, and hurray again another event" but completionists? Does it make my character stronger? No, does it give me new better weapons? No, does it change PvP in some way? No, does it change PvE in some way? No.

At the end of the day my character has not changed, PvP is the same zerge and PvE is the same zerge but hurray we got new puzzles and omg we got some more events that are more or less the same like all other events. Cosmetics.
    They add content, not (imaginary) power gains. That's the way the franchise is, and how it's been marketed forever. Don't like it, fine, but don't complain because it's not the same design as other games...because, guess what, other games do that, that's not and will never be the design of the GW franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did they talk about the other elder dragons? I know that so far, the main big enemy is Zhaitan but I really want it to be super Jormag or the fire dude.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Did they talk about the other elder dragons? I know that so far, the main big enemy is Zhaitan but I really want it to be super Jormag or the fire dude.
    I hope we get more of them in a major patch or two down the road, and hope they make a major, threat I guess, in the expansion.

Again, contents for completionists. Who else thinks "hurray another puzzle, and hurray again another event" but completionists? Does it make my character stronger? No, does it give me new better weapons? No, does it change PvP in some way? No, does it change PvE in some way? No.

At the end of the day my character has not changed, PvP is the same zerge and PvE is the same zerge but hurray we got new puzzles and omg we got some more events that are more or less the same like all other events. Cosmetics.
    You picked the wrong game then.
    And you really should try high-end PvP if you think it's all zerg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I would imagine these are going to be actual expansions, not content updates. The elder dragons are a pretty big deal and will probably expand our personal story pretty far, etc. I can't see them doing all of that stuff with the other dragons in just updates but hell it's ANet who knows...

I just want Cantha.... so bad...

Then don't play? You seem hard to please.

Deleted

thats why i like this game so much

Deleted
    Do you have to be 80 for the content? because my highest is 50

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcorn1992 View Post
    Do you have to be 80 for the content? because my highest is 50
    Not at all, level 50 should be more than high enough for it all.

Deleted
    For me, the problem with most MMORPGs right now is that the content is made with rushing in mind.

Content just doesn't last, the games themselves don't encourage their players to stick for a long time. They're all about dropping by in a rush and running off with all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    For me, the problem with most MMORPGs right now is that the content is made with rushing in mind.

Content just doesn't last, the games themselves don't encourage their players to stick for a long time. They're all about dropping by in a rush and running off with all the good stuff.
    That's the nature of theme park-ish MMOs, I am afraid. That content is meant to be disposable. You are suppose to desire as a player moving on to the next roller coaster. Not riding the tilt-a-whirl indefinitely.

It is a false and misplaced desire by the player to want to hang out in Gloamwood, Kingsmouth or Aerie Peak. Totally at odds with the design.

Nothing changes about characters in any other games once they hit max level either, it's simply a matter of scale. Your character might get stronger, but so will your enemies, so it's generally a wash.

This game has a plethora of it's own issues, but the one your talking about really boils down to player perception, and nothing more.

Quite a lot has changed from the days of meeting Sally Standsinfire in Sebilis. Simply marveling at the fact you both were in the same zone.

Indeed.

I don't think thats entirely it.

I want you to think of FFXI for a moment. Even after several expansions, FFXI had less content than GW2 does at release. But it kept people coming back for a long time. Why? Hard, long-term goals. You couldn't just go beat down the end bosses at 75, heck you couldn't finish your main story at 75, even if you had other players helping you. FFXI had something that, at one time, was a pretty basic idea of MMOs and RPGs, and that was long-term goals to work towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's partially the games, partially the players. It's a vicious circle, really.

Back when graphical MMO's were just getting started, they tended to attract the D&D/RPG crowd. In EverQuest you often saw people just "hanging out" or having guild meetings in places that they thought were cool. People explored, wandered about, journeyed around for the sake of journeying around. Part of it was the playerbase, part of it was just that it was a new type of game, and part of it was the game itself never really encouraging anything in particular.

Then the genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world", so the developers catered to them, which attracted more of the same types of players, so the developers catered to them even more as the demographic grew, so on and so forth.

That and the genre is just aging. Few old-school MMO gamers are genuinely in awe of the little things like we probably used to be. Chances are even if you were the type of player that just hung out somewhere in EverQuest, you expect more from a game today.
    I'd by and large agree with you. Many MMO's these days seem to actively try to be about the semi-immediate gratification route rather than any sort of long haul reward... and much of that has to do with behavior of players, some of it has to do with devs trying to come up with ways to isolate players FROM each other (for example, what passes for griefing in a game today is absolutely nothing like it used to be), or removing any semblance of consequence due to a decision making process on the part of the player. The cycle is "why is this so grindy" followed by "there's nothing to do!" after the first statement gets appeased. And games are suffering because of it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Sally Standsinfire
    This is a great name.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I don't think thats entirely it.

I want you to think of FFXI for a moment. Even after several expansions, FFXI had less content than GW2 does at release. But it kept people coming back for a long time. Why? Hard, long-term goals. You couldn't just go beat down the end bosses at 75, heck you couldn't finish your main story at 75, even if you had other players helping you. FFXI had something that, at one time, was a pretty basic idea of MMOs and RPGs, and that was long-term goals to work towards.
    Or back even further, Asheron's Call had a technical max level of 126.... and even though there were non-combat means of getting experience by running your own guild (think pyramid scheme), the amount of xp needed to actually hit max was so high that for the first few years, you might only see 2 or 3 people per server even close to it. IIRC, 125-126 took more xp than 1-125 did.

Granted, you didn't need to be this level to experience all the game had to offer, but certainly it wasn't something even remotely easily attainable.

Well, so far Halloween event is like NOTHING interesting to me personally. Collect candies and bags and try to predict market is all I do. New jumping puzzle? Omg so cool. Not. New dungeon? In this game? No thanks.

Deleted
    Well, they said that they would have more pvp updates than LoL, but since it seems hard to find any GW2 player that also plays LoL noone seem to know what that means.... an update a month, an update a year?

It's like every 2-3 weeks for League. Basically every new champion also brings a slew of PVP re-balances. Sometimes there are just updates w/o new champions. Sometimes referred to as "mid-MONTH" patches. Like July's.

Riot are up to like 150 patches now. Give or take a few.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They need to fix the long... long long long long long list of bugs for each proffesion. I don't really care if a specific team is set for that they need to drop what they are doing and fix necromancers...!
    Honestly this. They NEED to fix A LOT of broken shit before worrying about adding any more new content. Adding new content while leaving bugs in the game just adds even more bugs on top of everything. Seriously...they need to worry about fixing stuff for the next few months and then maybe come out with some new content around Christmas and the associated holiday event. It's starting to get to the point where people are abandoning certain professions and even the game itself because Anet seems to ignore a vast majority of the bugs that have been present since launch or before. It's really quite sad. I hope this doesn't portend how they plan on handling the game from here on out. Otherwise it will suffer greatly.