Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Frankly I have found nothing but negativity and extremely light bashing in your post.

Did you really think I began at the age of the 16 with lifting 16/18kg dumbbells? I wish I could.
    I started at the age of 16 with 7/8 kg and worked my way up.

Secondly, I train everything: Pecs, biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, abs, deltoids. My lower body I don't train with weights because I use it for running.

Third: 16/18kg dumbbells is little? It depends what you want to do, I am certainly not aiming to be a bodybuilder. Besides, I wouldn't say 16/18kg dumbbells are little weight.

No, I want to do parkour/free running for fun, certainly not to bring out a Youtube video to look uber leet or something.

Maybe don't make assumptions right away.
    18 kg is low for most exercises and quite high for others. If you are doing nothing but flies, curls, triceps extensions, side and front shoulder raises, and sissy squats, then you are using a fairly high weight. However, 18 kg is too low for any sort of press or pull exercise and for almost every leg exercise. Bodybuilders are not strong! Why do you suppose they are? All professional athletes are stronger than bodybuilders of comparable weight. At 110 kg, you should be benching at least 45 kg dbs and preferably more for basic health purposes. 100 lbs dbs is not a lot of weight for someone of your size.

Deleted
    Forget all this jumbo mumbo rocket science stuff. It really isn't that hard. Leave out junk food, candy, etc. Allow yourself a moderate cheat meal twice a month (like a slice of pizza). Reduze the size of your meals and just jog/run. I went from 85kg to 69kg this way in 5 months a few years back. I ran five to six times a week.

My biggest tip to you is to buy a heart rate monitor. At start run slooowly. You will feel awkward when you see other people and you jog barely faster than they walk but it's the price you pay. Try to keep your heartrate below 140. Walk for a while to smooth it if necessary. If you go there running fast you'll be out of breath in no time and won't be able to actually improve your basic aerobic condition.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltmacht View Post
    My biggest tip to you is to buy a heart rate monitor. At start run slooowly. You will feel awkward when you see other people and you jog barely faster than they walk but it's the price you pay. Try to keep your heartrate below 140. Walk for a while to smooth it if necessary. If you go there running fast you'll be out of breath in no time and won't be able to actually improve your basic aerobic condition.
    This right here is probably the best advice so far in this thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    18 kg is low for most exercises and quite high for others. If you are doing nothing but flies, curls, triceps extensions, side and front shoulder raises, and sissy squats, then you are using a fairly high weight. However, 18 kg is too low for any sort of press or pull exercise and for almost every leg exercise. Bodybuilders are not strong! Why do you suppose they are? All professional athletes are stronger than bodybuilders of comparable weight. At 110 kg, you should be benching at least 45 kg dbs and preferably more for basic health purposes. 100 lbs dbs is not a lot of weight for someone of your size.
    That's like 50 kg dumbbells per arm?!

I can't lift that! Or did you mean benchpress?

I thought I told you I was overweight, that 110kg is not all muscle, mostly fat.

And no, leg exercises I do with machines, IF I do them, which I don't because legs need rest to run.

My benchpress is 75-80 kg btw.

And I do lower back with a exercise on some sort of bench where you bend your upper body down and your lower body is kept stable because of 2 bars, then you go up and down with your upper body.

Upper back and triceps I do with dumbbells or if I feel I didn't push them enough I do them with machine MAYBE.

And yes, that was a good assumption. I in fact do flies, curls and the like with 16/18kg. Of course it is low for other exercises which you described....
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-10-28 at 01:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This was the point I was trying to get across, I wasn't trying to be blatantly harsh. The only way you can build muscle is by progressively overloading the muscle, you do this by gradually increasing the weight. Also like Jbhasban said those weights aren't ideal for many exercises, for example you're not going to see many people doing 18kg lateral raises, alternatively 18kg might be a little too light for dumbbell chest press.

First you should lose some of your weight for the free runing.
    You should do some cardio exercises such as jogging, and cycling etc for the fat burning.
    You should also control your diet and take more fat burning foods in you diet for the weight reduction.

Thanks for sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are really muscular as you say, you need to lose the muscle.

Being muscular really gets in the way with running and jumping. And yes, you probably should lose a lot of weight. 110kg at 1,76 is a lot for your body to support while free running.
    Now, I'm no expert on free running, but with that weight to height ratio, it would probably hurt your knees far more than you can afford.

But anyway: free running is an athletic sport and you want to be lean and agile. That meaning that my 80kg on 195 cm is superior. But that's only really if you want to do the more advanced stuff.
    But really, that weight would probably hurt your knees and your whole body. Start just jogging to lose some weight and meet up with people who Parkour already to give you tips.

Deleted
    Sigh, stop being so focused on the weight loss. I can lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks to meet a weight class requirement. I gain it back within 2 days once I start eating normally. Ketonic diets do not create permanent loss of weight because you lose mostly water weight. You do not lost fat faster on a ketonic diet unless it allows you to eat less than a normal diet due to your own physiology.
    Usually you lose three kinds of weigth, water,fat and muscle. And yes you lose alot of water in a low carb ketonic diet because...glycogen stores more water then fat. And when your carb storage is empty it`s easy to fill up and then also fill up water. You can play alot with this and water household of the body. You may know that Tim Ferriss, author of the 4 hour body, won Kickboxing Championship because of this? Lost alot of weigth when measuring, to get in a lower class, then add it before the fight starts.

@ the kcal in out theorist
    kcal in out is right...to a certain degree, it is just there alot more to consider, hormonal reaction, how much is really absorbed, what wanders straigth through etc.

IN as what goes in the mouth is wrong, in what goes into the blood, is right.

Lifting heavy, light. There is much more to conssider, sets, repetetiton, speeds (usually is 2 sec up 3secs down, try 5 sec up and down). AS far as i`m aware (for normal people) try to get as much tension in 1 and a half minute in the target muscle for a growth response.

Just an idea: Even runners do strength training, maybe you don`t need to lose muscle, maybe just make sure the are more functional? The Skeletall muscle generates alot of force and thus speed.
    Last edited by mmoc08095c4e61; 2012-12-11 at 08:34 AM.

For your workout:
    Lifting weights won't help you lose much weight. It will however improve your strength and convert some of that fat into muscle. If you want to lose weight you need to add cardio. Running, biking, swiming ect. will help you lose weight. You need to do both if you want to get in shape and lose weight. Say you work out 4 days a week. Do 2 days of weights and 2 days of cardio. This way you'll build muscle and tone up. Also don't forget to do core. I like to do a bit each day.

For diet:
    Eating more fruits, veggies and meat will help of course, but you may need to see a nutritionist to find out how much a day is right for you. Calories in vs calories out is law. A calorie is a mesure of engery. Fat is the storage of excess engery your body could not use. If you do not burn more calories than you take in you will not lose weight. Engery cannot be created or destroyed. There are not cheats or shortcuts to get around it. This is the law of physicis and it cannot be broken. Be sure to eat healthy and slowly bring down your intake. You don't want to starve yourself and lose muscle instead of fat.

Deleted
    Why do people always give advice on things they do not really understand/know?

Good luck losing weight by following those crap (through there's not only crappy advice there)

I imagine that one of the greatest assets someone with high levels of body fat can do in pursuing these acrobatic passions like Freerunning, Parkour or Tricking would be to work on compound movements and develope a high level of strength in them. If someone is able to do 20 pullups with their bodyweight, for example, they usually are somewhat slim, and strength like that would come in handy if someone is climbing walls.

For the jumping aspect I imagine a strong squat, deadlift or good morning would come in handy.

Start walking first until you lose weight. Start running when you get lighter. Starting to run too early may cause joint damage especially on the knees and ankles.

I have the same problem. walking on a treadmill is what the doctor told me to do to avoid joint damage.

Deleted
    before u can run u gotta loose weight by diet imo

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd advise you to yes, lose weight first. You need to lose the fat, and some of the muscle in the wrong areas if you want to free run. If you're interested in tricking, you're gonna need to develop specific muscles and build your core alot. You need to be flexible, and your muscles need to be extremely function focused. You could start now I suppose, but I don't think you're gonna get very far or have much fun. There's still a bunch of stuff to internalise when you get into freerunning that has nothing to do with weight: you personal centre of gravity, developing muscle memory for certain moves/tricks, being decent at just running, developing your burst/sprint muscles, confidence etc. It's just making things harder if you start with extra disadvantages.

I'd start with running 5km 3 times a week. Keep your diet steady, and try to stick with water. When you can run 5k at a decent pace (e.g. about 24 minutes), start mixing it up with interval training and squats/pushups/planking for burst and functionality.

You should be able to start free running in about 1-2 months depending on how long you take to lose some fat/water weight. Don't try to lose it all too fast, the main thing is to build your habit and motivation.

I've got to say, a stocky, thickbodied guy doing free running would looking pretty fucking cool if you're good at it. I have absolutely no knowledge of the subject or advice at all, just saying that I wouldn't mind watching someone built like Maurice Jones-Drew free run.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've got to say, a stocky, thickbodied guy doing free running would looking pretty fucking cool if you're good at it. I have absolutely no knowledge of the subject or advice at all, just saying that I wouldn't mind watching someone built like Maurice Jones-Drew free run.
    O.o He's a GIANT. Waaaay past what I'd call stocky and thickbodied haha. It would amusing as hell to see him flipping around like Damien Walters. I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing in incredulity, followed by a serious questioning of what I am doing with my life.

Deleted
    Well actually this thread was waaaay back. :P And I am not a giant.

Maybe I will pick this up at one time again but for now it is not a goal anymore.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Well actually this thread was waaaay back. :P And I am not a giant.

Maybe I will pick this up at one time again but for now it is not a goal anymore.
    Haha fair enough. The giant comment was in reference to Marcus Jones whom Spectral was talking about.