Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I'm into this really unique exercise and eating program. It's called eating real food and working my ass off. Occasionally I get drunk or pig out, I'm very much looking forward to Thanksgiving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    1) fat is the most easily digested food. Your expends virtually no energy digesting it and utilizing its energy.
    2) fat will promote weight loss because it satiates.
    3) all sugar is ok for you in moderation... as is butter or any other food.
    4) synthetic crap can promote weight loss (artificial sugars, for instance) because it works as a substitute for calories
    5) eating on a schedule promotes weight loss for the same reason setting appointments promotes work in business, it makes you less likely to deviate
    6) best way to lose weight is to stay away from temptation and keep to a plan, whatever that plan may be.
    oh my f* god you got just absolutely everything wrong here. I dont know from where you get this kind of information but its unreliable sources and the reason why theres such a big number of people who try to lose weight and fail miserably.

first of all, you dont want to eat food thats easily digested, quite the opposite. lets state some facts:
    carbohydrates: 4 calories per 1 gram -> usually high daily income, excellently absorbed, support other nutrition absorbtion efficiency, they make insulin excluded more easily which in turn supports fat creation and storage

fat: 9 calories per 1 gram (this is 2 times higher than carbohydrates!), rarely consumed alone, absorbed abit slower than carbs but still really fast compared to proteins, threat to heart

proteins: 4 calories per 1 gram, the key thing that you need to keep in mind is that the basic structure of proteins is more complex than any other food element.. they are sorted in the large scale of nitrous products and create the longest molecular structure -> this essentially means that the digestion of proteins lasts for the longest and is the most complicated. The reason for this, however, is quite simple. The complexity they all contain means that we not only have to chew them precisely in our mouth and mechanically redistribute them in our stomach, but our organism also needs to use alot of different stomach, bile and pancreas lymphs. This long lasting digestion (around 3 hours long to be exact) obviously takes its toll and the organism needs to pay the cost: To gain lets say 100 calories of protein based nutrition, your body needs to give up 30 calories just for the digestion process.

Lets compare: the specific dynamic effect of proteins is in consequence 30%. ( it is only 12% for fat and 7% for carbs)

Please stop giving your hopes to all these crappy horrible diets all around the internet. Fasting, salad, soy diets, salt water flush ones - everything is just dogballs crap and you will do nothing but serious harm to your health and disorientation for your organism. Theres no such thing as diets, you just need to know your food and eat smart. And, logically, If you think about how people were eating in the past - like lets say sometimes very long ago - in the ancient era - there was only food comming from animals which people hunted (proteins) and other stuff they gathered (fruit,vegetables & other - resource of energy and sugar + fat) and the result? there was no fat people! And what about all the carnivorous mammals? do any of them seem fat to you?

You can set up a diet which is healthy and you wont lose any of your muscles AND lose the weight really really fast and then consolidate the lost weight to avoid the yoyo-effect.

All this is comming from a person who once had 258 lbs and is now on 176 lbs

Daily exercise and proper diet plan are only ways to loose weight.

15+ Year Old Account
    A huge problem in the US is that we are "too busy" to go home and cook a healthy meal or "too busy" to go to the store to even buy that food. We'd rather stop by McD's on the way home from work and get a super sized big mac with a coke. Then, we go home and watch TV for the rest of the night while munching on chips before going to bed.

I do understand that some people have certain medical issues that prevent them from losing weight so this doesn't apply to those people... If you want to lose weight, eat better and exercise. Even going for a half hour walk around your neighborhood can help more than most people realize.

As far as gastric bypass, I can't speak on that... but I can say that I know someone personally who has had Lap Band surgery and it's far less invasive and slightly more lenient than than gastric bypass is. The only foods you really need to watch for with Lap Band is basically anything that retains water (rice, some meat, bread, etc). It's a good way to go if you can't lose weight any other way and are, basically, morbidly obese.

Be healthy people. The internet is an amazing resource if you don't know what healthy is (or if you think you know, you should research anyway..you might be surprised what you find).

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

This man is one of the living proofs that dieting works.

Sure dieting works, some people need to follow a guide in order to lose weight apparently. I lost 2 stone (13 to 11) by just using my brain though.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

This man is either living proof of the power of photoshop or living proof that changing your lifestyle works. If he is real, it is not like he is back on the stuff that made him look like in the middle picture now. ^^ The OP made that pretty clear: Diet is not the same as changing your lifestyle. A diet works briefly and fails when you stop dieting.
    The guy in the pic is a personal trainer who decided to prove that a fatty can become fit, and vice versa. Google fit2fat2fit.

Well, define diet? For me, same as for most fit people, diet is not a temporary process where you eat something or don't eat something for several months and when you achieved a certain goal you go back to your eating habits. My diet changes every several months, mostly it cycles between cutting,bulking, and maintenance, rather than "eat shit" "eat healthy", so yeah, dieting is pretty much a lifestyle. At the moment i'm experimenting with Intermittent Fasting, for example.

Most people just don't understand the way body works and then claim that diets are bad, they're not working and that sort of shit, neither do their understand the basics of nutrition - protein,carbs and fats. Hell, most people think fatty foods are evil, and if they're going to avoid fat - they're not going to get fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    I'm into this really unique exercise and eating program. It's called eating real food and working my ass off. Occasionally I get drunk or pig out, I'm very much looking forward to Thanksgiving.
    This. People always wanna complain about how they can't lose weight, yet they don't wanna cut out the soda and chocolate and all that other fatty foods. I pretty much just eat healthy and go to the gym on a daily basis. I drink on the weekends but that's it, i still keep my good food habits up.

I've always been in great shape since i played in sports throughout my 21 years of life, so i can't really say i know how it feels to be overweight since i never have been. So don't think i don't know its shit hard to lose weight, but you can do it! Fuck all that tasty fatty foods, just eat healthy and exercise. Healthy foods cost more but its worth it if you want to feel better about yourself.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

I'm doing the *don't eat the synthetic crap* eat natural things (low carb, low suggar sort of thing) and exercises

It's been almost 1 and half month, I've lost from 235 to 220.

All I do is I have cut the Soda and those temptation, it's easy,
    I used to eat crap when I'm bored or simply hungry, I eat some munchie's

But for fuck sake, I need a 2L of Pepsi and a bowl Ice cream with whipped cream with Oreo,Coffee Crisp and Aero chips on it.
    The weirdest this, I don't eat Ice cream but my brain is craving for sugar, not a freaking Diet Soda, a fucking real soda with 50gramms of sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post

This man is one of the living proofs that dieting works.
    Can't take him seriously. He looks like Ben Stiller in Dodgeball.

Deleted
    Losing weight for dummies: Make your body burn more calories than you eat. This results in your body having to look for calories somewhere else besides your food intake, for example, fatty tissue in your body.

This can be achieved in one of three ways. 1: Keep eating exactly like you do now, but exercise a lot more.

2: Keep on doing the same amount of exercise, but eat a lot less.

or 3: Combine the two, exercise more, eat less.

One of my largest problems I've had is being conveniently located in an area that's a mere 10 minute drive to hit 2 major grocery stores, 1 Golden Corral and 3 Chineese buffets. >_<

I've given much thought about how to solve this problem, and I realize the convenience is the problem. I really can't move my home, so I decided to work another angle:

I've given my credit card to my friends who live 30 minutes away and asked them to hold onto it for 1 week. Now, if I get a craving, I will have to first hit a bank to withdraw money. Not only will my craving be probably over by the time I get to the bank... but most cravings hit me in the evening - and banks are closed.

This, incidentally, is why I'm online ATM. I'm trying to keep myself busy so I don't go sparse. :P

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This man is either living proof of the power of photoshop or living proof that changing your lifestyle works. If he is real, it is not like he is back on the stuff that made him look like in the middle picture now. ^^ The OP made that pretty clear: Diet is not the same as changing your lifestyle. A diet works briefly and fails when you stop dieting.
    I am living proof that changing your lifestyle does a LOT more for your diet than a diet alone.

In 2008 I was 320lbs... in one year I dieted (got a nice job then too!) and got my weight down to 220.

I became unemployed when the bubble burst again, fell into a mass depression - and today my weight is back up to 320. >_<

As I mentioned above, also having a credit card was a super convenience that made it VERY easy for me to snack via cravings - and I am certainly a comfort-food eater! Combine that with depression - and that gets REALLY nasty! >_<

The trouble was my lifestyle was used to using my Credit Card as my all-purpose bank card (I never had any CC debt. I use it as a 30 day loan) so pretty much everything I bought was via the convenient CC.

I've ditched the card for this week - and so far, things are working out well!

Lifestyle plays a VERY important role! ^_^
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2012-11-18 at 02:13 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm proud that at my age, 51, I'm working again in a great job I really enjoy. It's gets me out of the house, I'm walking all the time, up and down the halls in the hospital where I work. I've started eating more regular meals at regular times now instead of the constant picking and snacking. I've lost about 38 pounds over the past 3 months. Just from walking and eating at regular times. I control my portion intake and have cut out alot of sugar and salt. I feel much better.