Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mistweaver Monk doubts

Hello Monk community!
    I want to apologize if what I will ask and share here with you guys have been answered before but if u guys dnt mind i would like to see all summarized in a single post and sorry for my english aswell.
    So im usually a healer in all mmos I play, since I play WoW for 8 years ive raided with every single role but healer is always my fav and the one i always go if im getting tired of pve raiding griding since for its never boring to heal.
    So I rolled a mistweaver monk for MoP, but due to real life issues i just recently hit lvl 90 and im starting to farm gear for raiding.
    I was 90 for like 4 hours or so, 450 item level and 2 greens and a friend of mine invited me to do MV normal 10 man, i refused explaining that i dnt have the gear and i didnt master the class aswell, he said that was nonsense that a good player is always a good player and against my will and because if i didnt go they wont raid i decided to help.
    We killed the 1st boss and 2nd boss, and while i know the content is far from hard I was pretty impressive with my healing, i was the 3rd on the metter on most atempts/kills but i was really close to them, parsers like 31% 27% 26% were the most common and the only big problem was to manage my mana but by the time I got oom the boss was dead or we were already half down and ready to wipe. I focused more on raid healing popping some EMs on the tanks from time to time when the raid was high health and some emergency heals on tanks when needed. My modus operandi was stack renewing mists on cooldown for it to spread and when needed uplift, when the raid gather like in feng for some massive aoe healing i used rushing jade wind and then spamm spinning crane kick, spending the chi that gives me in uplifts since the raid had renewing mists spread.
    My friend said: I told you so, u rock and the raid gave me a compliment BUT after a more detailed view of the recount I wasnt that impressed anymore, since I got alot of overhealing, and when I mean alot some tries I had something like 11% more overhealing than the shaman that was second.

So some of my biggest doubts that i would like to be answered by more experienced monk healers are:

Does my overhealing is somehow "normal" for our class or I was doing something wrong? I noticed most overheal came from renewing mists, something we cant control but even so im not used to see or do so much overheal so im kinda scared xD

1. Fistweaving is really a must for us? Yes I know that eminence provides decent heals but it seems so dependent on the situation, plus the risk to stay on melee and my biggest issue is in my search ppl describe this healing as "free", am i missing something? Jabs are cheap but they are not free, they are referring to stack the buff from the kick and then auto attack? Yes thats free but im not seeing that work in many fights, but i didnt mistweaving at all in my raid.

2. Do we have problems managing our mana pool? Or some of my problems were more like lack of total gear? (Yes, im using my mana tea in every cooldown and its glyphed).

3. What 2nd tier of talent should i choose? Chi burst provides a good aoe healing but is position dependent. Zen sphere at my eyes seems it needs 4 chi to make effect what is bogus, but i could be wrong. Chi wave its what i specced, seems good but im not using because I feel that the 2 chi required is better spend in uplift if i have RM spread, if i dont i wait for it to spread.

4. Is Zen Meditation a good raid cooldown? Since i didnt raid that much I dunno, its worth if for us to use it in a big aoe damage situation to absorb some damage while the other healers spamm or its better for us to heal instead of using it?

Thank you for the ones that manage to read the all post, and I greatly appreciate some feedback and help.
    Last edited by mmoc7c1634c91e; 2012-10-23 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevan View Post
    Hello Monk community!
    1. Mistweaving is really a must for us? Yes I know that eminence provides decent heals but it seems so dependent on the situation, plus the risk to stay on melee and my biggest issue is in my search ppl describe this healing as "free", am i missing something? Jabs are cheap but they are not free, they are referring to stack the buff from the kick and then auto attack? Yes thats free but im not seeing that work in many fights, but i didnt mistweaving at all in my raid.

2. Do we have problems managing our mana pool? Or some of my problems were more like lack of total gear? (Yes, im using my mana tea in every cooldown and its glyphed).

3. What 2nd tier of talent should i choose? Chi burst provides a good aoe healing but is position dependent. Zen sphere at my eyes seems it needs 4 chi to make effect what is bogus, but i could be wrong. Chi wave its what i specced, seems good but im not using because I feel that the 2 chi required is better spend in uplift if i have RM spread, if i dont i wait for it to spread.

4. Is Zen Meditation a good raid cooldown? Since i didnt raid that much I dunno, its worth if for us to use it in a big aoe damage situation to absorb some damage while the other healers spamm or its better for us to heal instead of using it?

Thank you for the ones that manage to read the all post, and I greatly appreciate some feedback and help.
    1. No. I rarely do this in our (25m) raids, as it simply can't compete with the throughput of 'normal' healing in most cases, and costs mana on top of that. Exceptions are healing-light phases (Feng p1, Elegon orbs (modifier doubledips), Will outside of the gas phase). This might be more viable in 10m, I haven't done enough of facerollmode to judge this, as bosses tend to die on the first attempt we do on 10m. (/end frustration about 10m vs 25m difficulty)

2. Gear. I noticed a huge difference in my mana after gearing up from hc dungeon level to 470+

3. Zen Sphere is really good for 25m stacked fights, but once you get used to the positioning element of Chi Burst this is far superior (as you can use it twice as often for the same chi cost). Chi wave is mostly useful for tank healing and/or 5 mans and imho by far the least optimal choice here.

4. I've failed to find many good uses for this spell sofar, as I haven't really noticed it 'doing' anything. Again, this is from a 25m perspective. I mainly use it as a self-cd, not for the raid. If there's others with better suggestions, i'd love to hear 'm.

Deleted
    Hey Drevan,

overhealing is unfortunatly a big factor for Mistweavers at the moment i have noticed with my own healing as well as with parses from others.
    renewing mist travels most likely to the most injured player but if you keep using it on cd to keep it spread on the whole raid it will overheal on all the people that are not taking dmg. examaple on feng normal before a epicenter raid does not take much dmg but you have to spread ReM to get it up on everybody for during epi. this will over heal a lot. secondly our mastery spawns orbs that heal when people walk over it or are near it when the orb spawns. if a raid member is at say 99% hp and the orbs spawns next to them and they get the heal it will over heal a great deal. and also with SCK if you use it to quickly heal aoe dmg together with 2 other healers there is a chance to overheal a lot cause you can't stop the cast easy when you started it so could get 1 second ful aoe overheals if unlucky.

now on to the other questions. fistweaving is not needed but can be helpful i have found. for instance on the 3rd boss the extra dps combined with not being able to oom on that boss will make for a smoother kill i have found. on 4th boss when everybody is stacked fistweaving through the cleaves is a good way to get people up quick and get boss down faster. so it can really be good to do but it is not mandatory atleast so far as i have noticed.

second question:
    we can oom really fast with lacking gear. but at higher gear levels it is unlikely to happen. if you spam a lot of surging mist you will oom really fast and if you chain SCK that wil also happen. but if you get a bit better gear then most fights on normal you will not go oom giving that you use manatea and don't sit on capped chi.

question 3:
    2nd tier is really a choice you make yourself and is highly situational. the consensus at the moment is though that zen sphere is a bit annoying cause it needs 4 chi to hget the most benefit but spending that 4 chi on uplift is more healing. cause past 6 targets zen sphere will do less healing. chi burst is oke but can be really slow if it goes from a ranged to boss and back to a ranged it can take ages for all 7 bounces to occur.
    chi burst is good on fights where the raid is stacked in one place for instance during several phases of the feng encounter. but also spending the chi on uplift could be better depending on how good the raid is stacked and how many targets are affected by ReM at that moment. can be quite hard to target well cause to get best benefit you need to stand at the back and target the person that is in front of the stack to make it the most effective but with some practise this ofc gets easier.

question 4: i have noticed that Zen Meditation can actually be a really good cooldown. but it i have noticed that it has more functionality when used as a WW because you can't heal when you are channeling it. but where it works wonders is for instance on elegon when the add is about to explode for 200k dmg you just pop zen and then cancel immediatly after and start aoe healing the group with RJW and SCK, or ReM uplift what ever you prefer. you still can then absorb about 900k dmg from that 1 second use. on Feng epi center it can be useful but depends if you are 2 or 3 healing the fight. with 3 healing you can prob channel the spell while the others heal up the raid but i would say don't use it during sustained dmg cause the other 5 members are still getting the dmg and need to be healed and especially when 2 healing fights your other healer won't always manage to keep them up.
    so basically for any quick burst it is a good cd to use although would be nice if it affected all raid members but it doesn't but would not use it as MW on sustained dmg.

hope that this gave you some more insight into the exciting monk healer spec

p.s. this is all from a 10 man raiding perspective on 25 man some things will not function as well and others will function better.
    Last edited by mmoca88cbf97c6; 2012-10-23 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replys so far, all very helpfull.
    In response to Mazor it was 10man yes.
    So for what im reading mistweaving is not mandatory but its very helpfull, my main problem is the transition. Sometimes i start meele dpsing for heal, but then i need to start "casting" or move from melee group and after that i find myself shooting mist channel behind even when the fight back up to normal, sometimes i even forget that i can melee heal lol.
    About the 2nd tier of talents Im going to try chi burst and start using it for aoe heal situations that i dnt have renewing mists properly spread.
    I have 2 more questions, that i found recently:

Whats our stat prio? I thought it was intel > spirit > haste till 8.5% > mastery > crit > haste. but i found some mistweaver monks reforging 100% crit, an1 knows why?

Another i saw just a few minutes ago, and with some quick search I found thats in fact very comon is the use of invoke of xuen, the white tiger instead of instead of rushing jade wind. what you guys think about this?

One more time thanks for the feedback and tips.

I found Chi wave to be a very good spell tbh, its smart healing so wont result in alot of overhealing. Only on Feng i find Chi Burst to be better. And mabye spirit kings. But on SPirit kings (normal tho) im in melee and fistweaving all the time and we 2 heal it. You put out quite a lot of dmg and healing on the same time. And elegon is like made for fistweaving 50% dmg incrase and 50% healing. Just remember if you melee heal not to tunnel it and cast ReM on ppl on CD

I usely think with all the overhealing we have that we are the "new" paladins with overhealing

Thanks for the replys so far, all very helpfull.
    In response to Mazor it was 10man yes.
    So for what im reading mistweaving is not mandatory but its very helpfull, my main problem is the transition. Sometimes i start meele dpsing for heal, but then i need to start "casting" or move from melee group and after that i find myself shooting mist channel behind even when the fight back up to normal, sometimes i even forget that i can melee heal lol.
    About the 2nd tier of talents Im going to try chi burst and start using it for aoe heal situations that i dnt have renewing mists properly spread.
    I have 2 more questions, that i found recently:

Whats our stat prio? I thought it was intel > spirit > haste till 8.5% > mastery > crit > haste. but i found some mistweaver monks reforging 100% crit, an1 knows why?

Another i saw just a few minutes ago, and with some quick search I found thats in fact very comon is the use of invoke of xuen, the white tiger instead of instead of rushing jade wind. what you guys think about this?

One more time thanks for the feedback and tips.
    Crit can be the only stat that increases your healing throughput depending on if your group doesn't have any issues picking up the healing spheres from your mastery so you should gear on how your group plays.

1. Fistweaving is really a must for us? Yes I know that eminence provides decent heals but it seems so dependent on the situation, plus the risk to stay on melee and my biggest issue is in my search ppl describe this healing as "free", am i missing something? Jabs are cheap but they are not free, they are referring to stack the buff from the kick and then auto attack? Yes thats free but im not seeing that work in many fights, but i didnt mistweaving at all in my raid.

1.Fistweaving is like Priest's smite healing. It's not necessary whatsoever. In fact, most of the time you'll want to heal normally. It is NOT free. Idk who would describe it as such. Lol.

2. Our mana is pretty decent compared to other healers. I think we even have a slight advantage over certain other classes, but with starter raid gear of course you'll have a few issues keeping mana up. It's normal. Just stack spirit. Right now I'm running with around 8k unbuffed and I'm pretty good with most fights, as long as people aren't messing up and doing things they're not supposed to be.

3. Mess around with all of them. I usually go for Zen Sphere for fights where you'll be grouped up. The other 2 aren't really too effective, since you'd probably want to prioritize Uplift over all of them when people are spread out.

4. I think it's better for us to heal. I guess if you were OOM and about to receive some heavy magic damage from a raid boss, you'd want to pop it. Otherwise, just stick to healing. Some fights can get pretty intense toward the end and it's just better to keep helping the other heals.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'll try to get back to you ASAP. Again, good luck!!

Deleted
    Don't know if Zen Med will work on Lei Shi. But it looks like a pvp cooldown anyway. Just try it out in the first pulls to see if you can get something from it. More likely a tank cooldown than anything else in this case. If not, free AMS for you.

The 1345 or whatever haste rating it was gives you an extra tick for EM and RM while raid buffed, which is very nice to have for both tank healing and raid healing. I really can't think of a reason not to have it. Better geared MW's may want more crit, since uplift and RM scale with both crit and int, whilst mastery spheres only scale slightly with int. But right now for people in blues, no big difference.

Overhealing is generally higher for hotters like Druids, MW's, and in some cases, Shamans. Nothing wrong about that. More offen than not, it's actually because the others healers are doing it wrong. Many bosses have raid wide AoE nukes, they always have a cooldown of somewhere between 30 and 60 sec, between both AoE's there are just a few random bolts going out, most likely. So your healers actually don't have to heal the raid back to full in 15 sec. Many average healers do this because they can top the recount this way if their mana can afford that throughout the fight, and if not, they throw out accuses like "I was already oom, and it's because your healing was shit". Ragnaros 25 heroic is a perfect example of those fights, where 3 healers was all you needed.

Fistweaving, like smiting, is not free by any means, Jab costs 3% Mana and generates 1 Chi. SM generates 1 Chi for every 4% Mana statistically, but it also heals for 40k odd on single target. SCK costs 5.5% mana and heals for around 200k. As for chi spenders, TP heals for at most 75k per 3 chi if you're lucky, and that's not even 1/3 the efficiency of EM, let alone Uplift. Honestly, it's not even worth it, if you're not absolutely idle like in the first 2 min on ultraxion.
    Last edited by mmocd512434992; 2012-10-23 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    I can't believe there are still people out there who care about overhealing and think it means something.

Overhealing is the most worthless stat in the game, it is completely without relevance to anything in World of Warcraft.

All the matters is healing done and whether you had mana left at the end of the fight.

If you're top of healing done with 95% overhealing and you had enough mana to do that, then you are playing well and doing your job as a healer.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    I found Chi wave to be a very good spell tbh, its smart healing so wont result in alot of overhealing. Only on Feng i find Chi Burst to be better. And mabye spirit kings. But on SPirit kings (normal tho) im in melee and fistweaving all the time and we 2 heal it. You put out quite a lot of dmg and healing on the same time. And elegon is like made for fistweaving 50% dmg incrase and 50% healing. Just remember if you melee heal not to tunnel it and cast ReM on ppl on CD

I usely think with all the overhealing we have that we are the "new" paladins with overhealing
    This is the problem with MMO Champion. So much terrible advice from people who has no clue what they're doing. Fistweaving on Elagon is nowhere near as good as SCK/Uplift/REM for healing done regardless of any healing/damage buffs and the top logs 100% prove this.

If only EJ wasn't a ghost town these days, they would ban people for posting garbage like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The free healing people are describing is Serpents Zeal (from blackout kick) when you have your statue up. Auto attacks require no mana or chi and are therefor "free"
    Don't sweat overhealing. It's going to happen. In a big way.

Stat prio should be Spirit(until you're comfortable with your longevity)>Haste to 1345(assuming you have the raid haste buff)>INT>CRIT/Mastery (depending on your raid format, 25man typically reforges mastery since more people= more chance of stepping on your balls, and 10man usually reforges crit)

Why would you SCK? ReM-Jab-Jab-Uplift is alot faster, and helping out with dps is not bad eaither, im abel to pull out min 30k dps and healing at 60k hps? And i have ALOT of mana left when he is dead.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 07:42 PM ----------

And by haveing both 3 melee and 3 rdps i cant stand at both place for SCK. So im in melee and the othr healer at range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you SCK? ReM-Jab-Jab-Uplift is alot faster, and helping out with dps is not bad eaither, im abel to pull out min 30k dps and healing at 60k hps? And i have ALOT of mana left when he is dead.

And by haveing both 3 melee and 3 rdps i cant stand at both place for SCK. So im in melee and the othr healer at range.
    Have your range stand closer in, stand between the 2 groups and SCK.

Well why change something thas work out perfectly? Your way is just another point of view of the fight then mine. Im not a logwhore, im happy if we kill boss and no one died and i got some mana left. And always a good thing if we do it in 1 hits and beat the last time of the kill from pervious week

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemii View Post
    I can't believe there are still people out there who care about overhealing and think it means something.

If only EJ wasn't a ghost town these days, they would ban people for posting garbage like this.
    Its a ghost town, because the mods are grammar police assholes, the info is scattered, and the consensus they give is often just wrong.
    That site has become nothing more than a bunch of shitty loser theorycrafters circle jerking one another for a long time now.

Having different views, even bad ones, leads to conceptualizing things in different ways.
    Good ideas come from all sort of places, even bad ideas.
    Last edited by morbidjbyrd; 2012-10-23 at 05:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    Its a ghost town, because the mods are grammar police assholes, the info is scattered, and the consensus they give is often just wrong.
    That site has become nothing more than a bunch of shitty loser theorycrafters circle jerking one another for a long time now.

Having different views, even bad ones, leads to conceptualizing things in different ways.
    Getting good ideas out of bad ideas is extremely important.
    EJ's problem is they weren't strict enough in the end. Random guys from 3/6 normal mode guilds are allowed to run their mouths about how to best heal.

Back in the day EJ was great because the top players talked and everyone else shut up, listened and learnt something.

Because it's far higher HPS to SCK/Uplift/REM than it is to Jab/Jab/Uplift/REM.

The rest of your post is willfully anti intellectual/anti good play scrub talk and isn't worthy of discussion. If you want to purposefully play a sub optimal way go for it (so long as your not in my guild) but don't clutter this guide (which is meant to be about how to play properly) with your rubbish.

There are these things called sticky's where good information can be saved.
    Kicking the community out of the equation serves no purpose.

Also, who said you needed to be in a world first guild to know how to do math or code?
    To kick anyone out of the conversation who doesn't have an achievement under their belt seems pretty ignorant if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    There are these things called sticky's where good information can be saved.
    Kicking the community out of the equation serves no purpose.

Also, who said you needed to be in a world first guild to know how to do math or code?
    To kick anyone out of the conversation who doesn't have an achievement under their belt seems pretty ignorant if you ask me.
    No one said that, stop exaggerating to try and give your point more validity.

You don't need to be a World First guild, but you do need to be raiding at a respectable level. For example EJ had people posting how to heal LK Heroic/Anub heroic as Disc when they themselves weren't even up to it and arguing with people who had killed it that they were doing it wrong. That is absurd.

Not to mention that this guy clearly doesn't have the faintest idea about the maths behind healing as a Mistweaver hence why he doesn't use SCK when it's not only our best spammable spell, it was so good Blizzard gave it a 30% nerf and it's still amazing.

Bad players have a place in the discussion and that place is asking questions or sitting in the audience learning something. These days every idiot in a 10 man guild who can kill a few normal mode bosses thinks he's some kind of expert just because bosses die when he's in the raid. Like that is any kind of evidence that he's playing perfectly.

wau someone needs to come down from his clouds. Why spam an ability if its not nessesery? Whats the point? I find better use for my mana then spamming the shit out of an ability, i rather help dps on elegon with my mana then spam SCK cuz its good hps. But if you cant understand that then its not my problem. SCK have been going up and down on nerfs, if oyu was on beta you would now this. ALL MWs knew SCK would get nerfed at some point cuz it was way to OP.

And no i havent just killed some few bosses on normal. I done more then that.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 10:51 PM ----------

Iknow what im doing and im doing it fine. Im not a hardcore raider i never said im, im doing it my way and the way i find the most fun for me. Just as this game is all about. So get down from your clouds and stop beeing such a logwhore.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 11:20 PM ----------

Thread: Mistweaver Monks what to do?
    by Blasphemii Replies28 Views3,811
    No, Fistweaving is more healing than you will ever do standing at range casting soothing/enveloping mists.

You do a lot more healing by jab/jab/uplift or spanning crane kick healing than you do casting actual healing spells.

There is no good reason to be playing a pure healing style in a raid. You will do poorly at meters and be a burden to your raid if you're not fistweaving.

Once our gear gets even better Fistweaving will be even more dominant than it already is.
    Here you say Fistweaving is kinda the way to go. and more if we get better gear, SCK is not fistweaving. So how do oyu really want it?

It also seems you raid in a 25man guild (if that didnt stop raiding as your other guild you was in) Then yes SCK is awesome. But not on all fights in a 10man team. If ppl are spread out it wont hel you heal ppl futher away then 8yards and in 10man ppl can/will be more then 8 yards away
    Last edited by Tatuin; 2012-10-23 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly it's situation dependent, if you have a favorable number of targets to hit with SCK then it's far superior as you can REM/SCK/UPLIFT/SCK SCK repeat. that's going to have a much higher HPS than jabbing and REM.
    He is correct when he says fistweaving is the way to go, and the better stats get, the better we'll get.
    As for people standing more than 8 yards away: tell them to move in (assuming they won't stand in shit.) they're stupid if they're standing at an arbitrary range and stopping the healers from being as effective as possible. Unless there is a mechanic that stops you from being at melee range, your ranged DPS should be stacking on melee
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2012-10-23 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Everyone pretty much said everything here. Just gonna add this : at iLvl 478, I NEVER go oom (12K spirit raid buffed) so I'm very happy with that, and I do +60% overheal. That's just the way we work. I do a huge part of the global HPS at, most of the time over 22/23% (even if we are 6 healers). Keep faith, MW is a really good raid healing spec.