Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Thing is, if someone harasses you in any form, if you hit them, you're pretty much doing it for your own protection, self defense. As far as I know, verbal abuse is as bad as physical harassing someone maybe even worse in some cases. What that woman did was her defending herself from the white's insults.

I still don't think she should have hit her, but she was pretty much defending herself, you know. :/
    In my view, she didn't do it because of the insults, but because she was being filmed. She asked the drunk woman several times to quit filming her, of which she responded "it's a free country".

Words can definitely hurt, and at times hurt more than punches since they don't necessarily heal as easily. But I would not call it resorting to self defense if you choose to punch someone because they name-called you. When it comes to self defense you are never allowed to inflict more harm on the attacker, than the attacker is attempting to do to you. For example if someone tries to punch you once, you have no right to go crazy on the person beating the crap out of him/her. If the person comes at you with a knife/gun or other weapon, you will of course have to do more in attempt to perhaps knock the person out or at least disarm him/her to stop the attack.

What I feel, both she and the others there should have done, is call the police, attempt to turn the camera off (without breaking it) and possibly holding her down in attempt to calm her. She's drunk and not thinking straight, I realize trying to talk her into her senses might not be possible. Of course trying to talk to her should be the first thing you do, and holding her down is a last resort of action.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    No, bad comparison. Each scenario is different, everybody
    knows this. And nobody will kill anyone or severely injure over
    simple name calling.

My opinion is still that she had it coming, and your
    view at violence and agression is not going to change it.

And now I really need some sleep.
    Thing is some people will severely injure over name calling, especially if they are drunk, if they wish to show that they aren't a "wuss" or whatever in front of their friends. There are scenarios where one person has severely injured another over nothing, so doing so for name-calling is definitely not out of the picture.

Deleted
    Meh. Her behavior instigated the situation.
    People will eventually snap, when facing that kind of provocation. It's only a matter of time.
    Hopefully, she will learn something from this, and will not repeat it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Even though there are many people that can't control themselves on these situations, I doubt there's that many people that wouldn't be able to control themselves. In the video, this was obvious, only the black woman got agitated, everyone else remained calmed. And why would the white woman sue the black woman for hitting her? She was drunk, she probably doesn't even remember that night well, so getting sued is something that won't happen.

About other possible scenarios. Yes, it's possible that if someone came at you and started swearing and calling you a b*tch (assuming the person isn't drunk) and you hit that person, I wouldn't admire if the person that got hit would sue the other one, but if the person that is getting sue isn't dumb, he/she would too sue the person calling her/him names, see where I am going with this? It's a double edge knife for both parties. Doesn't change the fact that hitting is wrong, in my opinion.

Like I have said several times, hitting is not okay, it's never okay(let's take out the war zone scenarios for the sake of this discussion) and no one can draw the line or say when it's enough or not enough when hitting someone.
    If I was present in the scenario, the one in the video, I would have tried talking to the lady that was filming and swearing, the only thing that I would do to her would probably just try to hold her and call the cops and keep holding her, but even that, for me, is pretty extreme, for me that's already crossing the line(my sense of line). I honestly don't know what to say anymore.

All I know is that hitting is wrong, and everyone has their limits about these things and it's not only the white and black women's fault, the people around them are also part to blame for not doing anything about the matter.
    I believe the court will take physical attacks far more seriously than vocal ones. If the court is faced with a scenario that person A name called person B, and person B beats person A up, they will rule person A in favor of the law-suit.

I'm quite sure she remembers it since she has a video of it that she uploaded. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on a lot of the responses here saying that violence is never the answer or, they should have called the cops, lead me to believe the majority of you have never been in a confrontation with someone on the street. Just doesn't work that way. If you start talking shit to a bunch of strangers, bad things are going to happen. Don't go home crying cause you get your shit stomped for calling people out. This is the real world not a fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    In my view, she didn't do it because of the insults, but because she was being filmed. She asked the drunk woman several times to quit filming her, of which she responded "it's a free country".

Words can definitely hurt, and at times hurt more than punches since they don't necessarily heal as easily. But I would not call it resorting to self defense if you choose to punch someone because they name-called you. When it comes to self defense you are never allowed to inflict more harm on the attacker, than the attacker is attempting to do to you. For example if someone tries to punch you once, you have no right to go crazy on the person beating the crap out of him/her. If the person comes at you with a knife/gun or other weapon, you will of course have to do more in attempt to perhaps knock the person out or at least disarm him/her to stop the attack.

What I feel, both she and the others there should have done, is call the police, attempt to turn the camera off (without breaking it) and possibly holding her down in attempt to calm her. She's drunk and not thinking straight, I realize trying to talk her into her senses might not be possible. Of course trying to talk to her should be the first thing you do, and holding her down is a last resort of action.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:39 AM ----------

Thing is some people will severely injure over name calling, especially if they are drunk, if they wish to show that they aren't a "wuss" or whatever in front of their friends. There are scenarios where one person has severely injured another over nothing, so doing so for name-calling is definitely not out of the picture.
    Self defense mandates the use of the amount force necessary to protect yourself from harm. If somebody attacks you with a gun or knife, you have the right to do more than attempt to disarm them.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Based on a lot of the responses here saying that violence is never the answer or, they should have called the cops, lead me to believe the majority of you have never been in a confrontation with someone on the street. Just doesn't work that way. If you start talking shit to a bunch of strangers, bad things are going to happen. Don't go home crying cause you get your shit stomped for calling people out. This is the real world not a fantasy land.
    Except people aren't a force of nature. If you get beat up for shit talking, you have every right to complain. The person or people who beat you up made a choice to assault you. The reason I think a punch was justified in this case was her behavior went beyond simple name calling.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-10-24 at 01:50 AM.

Deleted
    Personaly I wouldn't have reacted violently, but I do think that she deserved it.

Deleted

I totally agree with you, in every aspect, but I still don't think you understand the part of self defense when someone verbally abuses you.

I didn't want to bring these examples here but here it goes...

Let's assume a person with a gun wants to kill you, they want to shoot you as many times as possible. What are you going to do? You, yourself, have no ways of defending yourself other than heckling that person and shoot her/him, yes shoot, because in this scenario, this person that wants to kill, really wants to kill, so the only way to stop the person is either kill him/her or knock the person down, and I doubt anyone would try knocking the person could since that implicated in you getting strangulated and more stuff and it's a lot harder than shooting a gun.

This example above, is pure self defense, either shoot the person trying to kill or die, because you think that you can't hit or wtv on people.

What I would do in this case? First I would take the person's gun of course, then diplomacy, if that didn't work, I wouldn't run away, since there's a possibility that this person will just try to do this to someone else, so calling the cops asap is what I would do, I would also try and refrain/restrain/etc the person from running away.

Now, I doubt a lot of people would do what I said I would do, and would probably just shoot the person or run away. And you think the person, that was doing all that in self defense, should be sued? Lol.

I don't want in no mean offend you or anything, I totally agree with you in every aspect you have been posting so far, but you need to take into account more serious possibilities and scenarios because that logic or not wanting to hit people because you're afraid, or just don't want to get sued, will screw you.
    I believe the court will take physical attacks far more seriously than vocal ones. If the court is faced with a scenario that person A name called person B, and person B beats person A up, they will rule person A in favor of the law-suit.

I'm quite sure she remembers it since she has a video of it that she uploaded. =/
    I'm sorry, but I don't see any logic in punishing person B because she/he beat person A for using verbal abuse on person B. Atleast, punish both, not just person B, if person A didn't do any of those things, nothing of that would have happened, that's why it would be more logical to punish person A for sure, maybe even person B depending on how serious the beating was, but punishing person B more than A, is a wrong thing in my opinion.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-10-24 at 01:50 AM.

Thank you for sharing this, much appreciated. And I fully agree with that this is probably the best way of going about it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:06 AM ----------

Not saying it wasn't normal, it's a natural reaction, a primitive one at that. It's what most people want to do when hatred/annoyance begin to bubble up inside of us, doesn't mean we should let it take over and give in to it. And yes I fully understand that some people have a harder time controlling that, but that does not make them entitled to do it and they will have to suffer possible consequences for their actions.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:08 AM ----------

She wasn't THAT annoying, I've endured far more annoying people without resorting to violence. I would say that Kasperio's way of dealing with the situation is the best one.

Also how annoying you find people is relative from person to person, so using "but she was really annoying!" as an excuse isn't really valid either. A person can find someone who acts completely normal to be really annoying, doesn't entitle them to hit them for it.

You choose to hit the person, you deserve whatever justice is coming your way for doing so.
    There's a difference between being annoying and what this girl was doing. She was actively insulting people, encroaching on their personal space and in general trying to start a fight of some description.

Obviously this girl never learnt that actions have consequences. If you start acting in a threatening/offensive manner towards someone they are going to give you an attitude adjustment and you are going to think twice before you do the same thing again. Seriously this was probably the best thing for this girl, a good smack upside the head means that she probably won't be repeating these actions and won't wind up with her name on the police books.

Seriously some people don't understand logic and reasoning, particularly immature people looking for something to stroke their ego. A good puch has more than just the obvious physical ramifications, the mental ones are often what is much more desired.

Take for example a friend of mine: Going back a number of years he had just recently completed his training for the armed forces and was placed in section/unit. One night they went out and had a good time. The rest of his section turned in early, however he elected to stay out and have a few more drinks.

He never told me the specifics, however he was acting like a douche (having just finished his training and believing himself to be super badass) and was picked up by the cops as a result of his mouthy/disruptive/anti-social behaviours. As is custom the MP's where called, however instead of coming out and grabbing him they called his Section Commander to allow him the chance to deal with his new soldier.

His seco arrived at the Police station with his 2IC in tow and bundled him into the car. Once they arrived back on base his seco swung around in the drivers seat and gave him a solid hit in the mouth, not hard enough to do any damage but hard enough that he felt it. The contents of what was then said was a little explicit, however it was along the lines of "Embarrass this section/unit/platoon again and you won't like the consequences".

That experience put him in his place pretty firmly and while the physical act of the punch wasn't all that significant the mental effect and the weight that it brang was essential in that particular situation.

My point is that sometimes people need a good smack upside the head to adjust their ego. Nothing too extreme but the effect that physical act can have on someone's over inflated ego is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

Deleted
    I've never claimed that's not what would have happened. I've said that in those cases resorting to violence on their part is the wrong thing to do, just as it was wrong, if not even stupid, of the person to name-call them to begin with. Just because that's a normal reaction it doesn't justify it, and if you think it's right to punch whoever "disrespects" you, you have another thing coming.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    seems kinda staged to me, i didnt really see a whole lot of anything as soon as that one girl came over and started the scuffle the screen went black.

where does shit like this happen? in big cities? i go to nashville and st. louis A LOT as my work takes me there and ive never seen shit like this happen. id love to witness it though

I've never claimed that's not what would have happened. I've said that in those cases resorting to violence on their part is the wrong thing to do, just as it was wrong, if not even stupid, of the person to name-call them to begin with. Just because that's a normal reaction it doesn't justify it, and if you think it's right to punch whoever "disrespects" you, you have another thing coming.
    I guess you just don't recognize the difference between name-calling and what this girl was doing. She wasn't simply calling people names, she was picking fights, threatening people, getting in their way, filming them when they requested she stop, violently getting in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    She was asking for it.

Were there no cameras I would have punched her and stolen her video recorder.
    I would have probably just grabbed her phone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    There's a difference between being annoying and what this girl was doing. She was actively insulting people, encroaching on their personal space and in general trying to start a fight of some description.

Obviously this girl never learnt that actions have consequences. If you start acting in a threatening/offensive manner towards someone they are going to give you an attitude adjustment and you are going to think twice before you do the same thing again. Seriously this was probably the best thing for this girl, a good smack upside the head means that she probably won't be repeating these actions and won't wind up with her name on the police books.

Seriously some people don't understand logic and reasoning, particularly immature people looking for something to stroke their ego. A good puch has more than just the obvious physical ramifications, the mental ones are often what is much more desired.

Take for example a friend of mine: Going back a number of years he had just recently completed his training for the armed forces and was placed in section/unit. One night they went out and had a good time. The rest of his section turned in early, however he elected to stay out and have a few more drinks.

He never told me the specifics, however he was acting like a douche (having just finished his training and believing himself to be super badass) and was picked up by the cops as a result of his mouthy/disruptive/anti-social behaviours. As is custom the MP's where called, however instead of coming out and grabbing him they called his Section Commander to allow him the chance to deal with his new soldier.

His seco arrived at the Police station with his 2IC in tow and bundled him into the car. Once they arrived back on base his seco swung around in the drivers seat and gave him a solid hit in the mouth, not hard enough to do any damage but hard enough that he felt it. The contents of what was then said was a little explicit, however it was along the lines of "Embarrass this section/unit/platoon again and you won't like the consequences".

That experience put him in his place pretty firmly and while the physical act of the punch wasn't all that significant the mental effect and the weight that it brang was essential in that particular situation.

My point is that sometimes people need a good smack upside the head to adjust their ego. Nothing too extreme but the effect that physical act can have on someone's over inflated ego is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.
    I still disagree. There are other and better ways of dealing with the situation, a "good smack upside the head" is more likely to start a fight than teaching the person anything. Also in this situation, do you really think that was the woman's intention when she hit her over and over in the head? I think it was because she was pissed and wanted to get her frustration out on the person, if she had been any stronger than she was she could have severely injured the drunk girl.

This man speaks the truth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I guess you just don't recognize the difference between name-calling and what this girl was doing. She wasn't simply calling people names, she was picking fights, threatening people, getting in their way, filming them when they requested she stop, violently getting in their face.
    She was also drunk and over-confident as a result. She didn't actually mean anything she said, as should have been clear by looking at the situation.

Deleted
    It might be quick and effective, doesn't make it right however. If you really want to use fear I'm sure that grabbing her and pushing her up against the wall, looking her straight in the eye and telling her to stop might work as well... I'm not sure if others would have the right to grab her camera and turn it off, but in overall she seems to be too drunk for her own good at a public place, I feel that you should call the police to pick her up so she can sober up or try to get someone she knows to pick her up.

Just because someone is annoying to you, that gives you no right to lay your hands on the person, except in self defense.
    I'm not saying it applies here, but sometimes, just sometimes, there are people who understand no other language than pain and violence.

OT: jeez what an anoying bitch, personally I would have just grabbed the camera off her and smashed it on the floor, that would have scared her without hurting her.

I still disagree. There are other and better ways of dealing with the situation, a "good smack upside the head" is more likely to start a fight than teaching the person anything. Also in this situation, do you really think that was the woman's intention when she hit her over and over in the head? I think it was because she was pissed and wanted to get her frustration out on the person, if she had been any stronger than she was she could have severely injured the drunk girl.
    How do you even know how strong the girl was? How do you know that she was using her full strength? You don't. The details are extremely limited.

You also don't seem to understand the mentality of some people. Most people would learn from being arrested, some people don't, however. Some people act out even more when the law is involved because they think they are being stifled and think their actions are perfectly fine.

She was also drunk and over-confident as a result. She didn't actually mean anything she said, as should have been clear by looking at the situation
    Do you know that she was drunk? Maybe she's just an idiot? Also, how do you know what her intent was? Her actions contradict what you say.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-10-24 at 02:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    How do you even know how strong the girl was? How do you know that she was using her full strength? You don't. The details are extremely limited.

You also don't seem to understand the mentality of some people. Most people would learn from being arrested, some people don't, however. Some people act out even more when the law is involved because they think they are being stifled and think their actions are perfectly fine.
    You're right, I don't know how strong she is or if she was using her full strength or not. However I do know that when people let their rage take over and they attack someone without thinking, they are not going to hold back. Her reaction of charging up on her, then proceeding to punch her over and over in the face, does not apply for someone keeping their cool.

Deleted
    Dam if this was in my area, she would have been hit waaay sooner.

Totally justified, and if i was there, I would have cheered on whoever did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda looks fake to me.... If it's real I think she deserved it.
    If i were in that place when she was doing that I wouldn't have hit her, but I would have smashed her camera.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

You're right, I don't know how strong she is or if she was using her full strength or not. However I do know that when people let their rage take over and they attack someone without thinking, they are not going to hold back. Her reaction of charging up on her, then proceeding to punch her over and over in the face, does not apply for someone keeping their cool.
    Another assumption. Do you know the degree of control the girl had over her anger? I have personally been angered to the point of violence, but did not use my full strength because I still kept some control.