Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21

    Monk WW Elegon Strategy

    I was asked by a few people to write up my thoughts on Elegon normal. I have given detail on my strategy which has pulled some pretty decent numbers.

    http://nooblord.com/elegon/

    Extremely fun fight with a lot of mechanics to work through. GL!

  2. #22
    Fluffy Kitten Mihir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,802
    Please don't make an advertisement topic for every guide you make.

  3. #23
    The Patient Valient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Surrey - England
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    I can see people want to do this for top world rankings on normal. But this defeats the purpose as this will never work for heroic versions so why bother? Honestly cannot remember how much damage the overloads do in normal, but if you are saying you 1 healed it for 25% tanking all 3 dogs, then it honestly cannot be that much.
    ^^ This. You can't do it on heroic so why bother trying so hard to do it on normal when all you are doing is losing the opportunity to practice the tank swaps that will wipe you on heroic if you get them wrong. Dog's don't drop focus on heroic so your taunts need to be fast and precise, one mistake will lead to an overload which is a wipe 90% of the time.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Valient View Post
    ^^ This. You can't do it on heroic so why bother trying so hard to do it on normal when all you are doing is losing the opportunity to practice the tank swaps that will wipe you on heroic if you get them wrong. Dog's don't drop focus on heroic so your taunts need to be fast and precise, one mistake will lead to an overload which is a wipe 90% of the time.
    We aren't all after Heroic, and we like to have fun and figure out different and exciting ways to do things? I think it'd just be a cool "look what I can do" thing. Or did once.

  5. #25
    There are some good tips in these guides - but it seems to just be a guide for the super dps horny. It's not good practice to risk dieing on every boss mechanic and putting extra pressure on healers just so you can rank. For example taking epicenter ticks on Feng just so you can do 25% of your damage is pointless - I don't even think it's possible on 25man without dieing. Another example is your Stone Guard hc kill; towards the end you get chained to a shadow priest and he dies (you almost do too, close one there). I bet you made no effort to run to him so that you could parse.

  6. #26
    Fluffy Kitten Mihir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,802
    In our guild we have the rule that ranged dps always moves to melee, and if they are too slow and someone dies it's their fault :P

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    There are some good tips in these guides - but it seems to just be a guide for the super dps horny. It's not good practice to risk dieing on every boss mechanic and putting extra pressure on healers just so you can rank. For example taking epicenter ticks on Feng just so you can do 25% of your damage is pointless - I don't even think it's possible on 25man without dieing. Another example is your Stone Guard hc kill; towards the end you get chained to a shadow priest and he dies (you almost do too, close one there). I bet you made no effort to run to him so that you could parse.
    I put it out there in the initial post. My goal when raiding is to provide the maximum dps while maintaining a high level of survivability. I play on the edge, high risk, high reward. Majority of the time it pays off, of course occasionally I mess up but this is rare. You do not have to take all my my suggestions to heart, this is simply what I do to rank in the top 5 on every encounter since Naxx......

    As for taking epicenter ticks.. it depends on your healers. Putting on karma and doing a free 500k to the boss while taking no damage sure is worth it...

    Stone Guard HC kill. The shadow priest was on perma tile duty. When we got chained, he was on the opposite side of the room with the tile dot on him. I had a line of cobalt mines between us, so I made the judgement call and put diffuse magic up and killed him. IMO we both would have died if I attempted to get to him. Things do not always go according to plan, but trust me, every decision is calculated in some way.

    I am guessing you wouldn't be a big fan of my Sindragosa HC strat where we had the entire raid stack up and get frozen at around 5% so I could cleave them all down with divine storm (ret pally) and bang out a huge ranking
    Last edited by Faids; 2012-10-26 at 06:18 PM.

  8. #28
    I understand that you are one of those dps horny guys, I have my moments too, but I don't get why you have to try and cheese encounters just to rank highly - what's the point? I use WoL to try and find out what the best players are doing dps wise on bosses and I find it frustrating when I have to filter out guys like you to find them... just don't see the point in doing it.

    I would add that monks not using ToK for dps gains as well as a CD are just playing badly. It is a brilliant spell and on almost every fight it will be free extra damage.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    I understand that you are one of those dps horny guys, I have my moments too, but I don't get why you have to try and cheese encounters just to rank highly - what's the point? I use WoL to try and find out what the best players are doing dps wise on bosses and I find it frustrating when I have to filter out guys like you to find them... just don't see the point in doing it.

    I would add that monks not using ToK for dps gains as well as a CD are just playing badly. It is a brilliant spell and on almost every fight it will be free extra damage.
    But it is not always a dps gain. I would only consider it a dps gain if you end up getting more damage then a blackout kick out of it. There are few encounters where you will get the full effect and "free" dmg from it. For the most part it is used as a powerful cd/dmg reduction.

    Cheesing encounters and playing to your full potential are two different things. Anyway, if you value utility over dps as a dps class that is fine. Balancing utility and maximizing dps is the ultimate goal here.

  10. #30
    Spirit Kings is the only fight where it would be difficult to use ToK much for damage. Every other fight in vaults you can gain a lot from it. If you fail to gain more damage from a ToK than a BoK you misjudged, but that's all part of being a skilled dpser.

    Of course you want to play to your full potential, but aoeing ice blocks for rankings gain isn't min/maxing, it's cheesing - just saying really.

  11. #31
    Hey Mook, (and I really hope you read this)

    I'm a player since the release and I ever since have been a Healer (priest from classic til woltk, and shaman on from there).

    I have made a few guides (including solo farming the Eye of Shadow (or whatever it was called, i can't remember to be honest) for the Priest-Staff in Classic) and I know how important feedback is, so here it goes:

    I am currently playing a WW Monk for my Guild. We were pretty hardcore in BC and as we matured we decided to have less days a week to be busy with raiding.
    In our first raid I struggled hard to keep pace with our mages, especially on Feng. In fact I only managed to pull a few more damage than our DK-Tank.
    I was frustrated and began to do research on what to do better and stuff.
    I realized I didnt use a lot of abilities because I forgot about them 'cause you just don't need them in heroics ... ever.

    I must say, I really really love what you are doing because it perfectly fits to the questions I have on the current nh encounters.
    Your guides reminded me of using certain abilities on certain fights.
    Most won't get this, but I really love that you don't do all that math stuff (if I want those I know where to go) but keep it down to the basics and the movement you need to have.
    Some people may think "geez, you just know what to do when you see the encounter, wth noob?!", but I just love to hear an opinion on encounters, just like yours.

    I'm sorry for my bad english, but I'm kinda drunk :>

    Anyway: keep it up dude, much appreciated, at least from my side!

  12. #32
    Thanks Rhory, I appreciate it. There are so many sites with basic boss strategy and stuff, I wanted to create something specific to our class for people already familiar with the content but wanting to push bigger dps. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll will have the rest of the bosses finished up this weekend and want to do a post on my gearing strategy.

    Spirit Kings strategy published : http://nooblord.com/the-spirit-kings/
    Last edited by Faids; 2012-10-27 at 02:59 AM.

  13. #33
    Wind Lord Mel’jarak and Amber-Shaper Un’sok added to HoF strategy section. Enjoy.

  14. #34
    do you even bother with FOF in the 2nd phase to random boss moves(you all know what i mean) and how the blade will still hit you as long as your in his hitbox

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoo View Post
    do you even bother with FOF in the 2nd phase to random boss moves(you all know what i mean) and how the blade will still hit you as long as your in his hitbox
    I did since the boss was stationary for the most part. The blade throw cd is on DBM so you can time it pretty easily. Near the end of the fight the bombs started getting out of hand and I stopped using it since we were moving him a bit.

    I tend to only ever use FoF if everything magically lines up and I am 100% positive I can get a full cast off... I have also been running a really heavy haste build (8500+) and not using FoF at all for most of these HoF fights due to heavy movement or "adds" eating the single burst you get out of it. Last night during Feng HM I reforged heavy into crit and dropped my haste to just under 14% and didn't really notice much of a dps difference... (went from not using FoF at all, to using it heavily with crit build) Perhaps I did more add dmg during shield phase but that was the only thing I noticed.
    Last edited by Faids; 2012-11-17 at 01:47 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •