1. #1

    Nvidia 260 GTX performance

    System:CPU: i5 2500 3,3ghz

    RAM: 8GB

    GPU: Nvidia Gainward 260 GTX Limited Edition

    Playing on 1600x900 resolution



    Hey, i know there are tons of thread's about the performance of SWTOR, but since can't find anyone with my system i decided to create one myself, so here's the thing, i know that my graphics card is kinda old but never give to big performance problems(since most games are ports anyway) the only games that i recall to have serious probs( and by that i mean 20/30 fps) were BF3, Witcher 2 and Skyrim as a few hiccups but i'am playing with ton of mods.And in SWTOR(which the 260gtx is the recommended) is just a nightmare the default setting that the game brings is high, which i can't play especially if tree's are around I have 20/30 fps and in some conversations i have 30 fps which is stupid since the only thing rendering is the dude's face.. but usually is around 40, so i decided to turn shadows off since the game have some probs with shadows? it helped but still not perfect, when around in trees (hutta and Dromund Kaas) i have 25/45 and in other location's 50/60 so i already have to play without shadows and still have bad performance?atm I playing with everything on high and shadows off, when I was trying shadows on high i had AA off, the only way to play without to much frame rate drops is very low and even so around trees the fps drop down to around 45... what the hell?is simply that my GPU is old?if so why the hell is that the recommended GPU?or is there some sort of fix or performance improvement?

    I would appreciate the help since i am looking forward to the f2p... even with some stupid restriction's



    PS: I would post this in SWTOR forum's but I can't post in there.

  2. #2
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Your post is a mess, but I'll give it a shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Selwen View Post
    the default setting that the game brings is high
    There's your problem. Bump it down to medium or low. Just because the card is "recommended" doesn't mean it will play the game at anywhere near max settings. GTX 260 is garbage. 20-30fps is about what you should expect, quite frankly.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  3. #3
    Epic! OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,680
    I also played using a GTX 260. I had everything set to around low to medium settings, if I remember correctly. The game ran pretty decent at about 30-60 FPS depending on what I was doing with the exception of the Fleet and a few other places that even the best cards on the market had trouble with.

    But as Profyrion said, just crank down your graphics settings (especially shadows) and you should be fine. The GTX 260 is more than capable of performing well in SWTOR. The game's engine on the other hand....

  4. #4
    Assuming you have the right mobo you might want to opt for a gtx 480. Works like a charm on max settings for me and its not overly expensive.

  5. #5
    If he is going to upgrade, might as well go for a directx11 card... 560 TI

  6. #6
    The 560Ti is a great choice. I use it and have everything graphic setting turned on.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    I also played using a GTX 260. I had everything set to around low to medium settings, if I remember correctly. The game ran pretty decent at about 30-60 FPS depending on what I was doing with the exception of the Fleet and a few other places that even the best cards on the market had trouble with.

    But as Profyrion said, just crank down your graphics settings (especially shadows) and you should be fine. The GTX 260 is more than capable of performing well in SWTOR. The game's engine on the other hand....

    While I love SWTOR, the engine they use isn't so great. The quoted post is absolutely correct. I run x2 i7 2600k CPUs, and x2 Nvidia 680 GTX. Normally, just running about a planet I get about 150 FPS. During a conversation it drops to 30 because AO, DoF, and shadows don't work right. In the fleet, best I can pull is 60. And I wont even mention the hitching and stuttering (particularly when turning the camera) that they supposedly fixed and haven't. While your gfx card isn't the best and you should prolly turn down the setting to medium or low as everyone else has said, it's not completely your hardware's fault.
    | i7-4771 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 | eVGA GTX 760 SC x2 SLI | WD BLACK SERIES 3TB 7200RPM | Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case | EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply |

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtaliin View Post
    While I love SWTOR, the engine they use isn't so great. The quoted post is absolutely correct. I run x2 i7 2600k CPUs, and x2 Nvidia 680 GTX. Normally, just running about a planet I get about 150 FPS. During a conversation it drops to 30 because AO, DoF, and shadows don't work right. In the fleet, best I can pull is 60. And I wont even mention the hitching and stuttering (particularly when turning the camera) that they supposedly fixed and haven't. While your gfx card isn't the best and you should prolly turn down the setting to medium or low as everyone else has said, it's not completely your hardware's fault.
    I am sorry to push this article up well after a year, but I would like to inquire about that hitching and stuttering problem particularly when turning the camera, and I also have the 260GTX. Quite obviously, the game has not improved on that anymore, because I restarted last month after I quit three monthes after release. I cannot start to feel home in this game, exactly because of that hitching and stuttering problem particularly when turning the camera. It is a mess when attempting to be a melee tank!

    I wonder if in the meanwhile there are any workarounds to help? FYI, turning down the graphic settings to medium does NOT help on this particular problem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtaliin View Post
    While I love SWTOR, the engine they use isn't so great. The quoted post is absolutely correct. I run x2 i7 2600k CPUs, and x2 Nvidia 680 GTX. Normally, just running about a planet I get about 150 FPS. During a conversation it drops to 30 because AO, DoF, and shadows don't work right. In the fleet, best I can pull is 60. And I wont even mention the hitching and stuttering (particularly when turning the camera) that they supposedly fixed and haven't. While your gfx card isn't the best and you should prolly turn down the setting to medium or low as everyone else has said, it's not completely your hardware's fault.
    At what resolution?

  10. #10
    Epic! OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,680
    I played SWTOR on a GTX 260 for the first several months of the game. It ran the game pretty decently on low-medium settings with a 1440x900 resolution. But to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in performance when lowering the settings anyways.

    6 months ago I built a new computer with a 650ti Boost and newer CPU. When I play the game today, it looks and feels no different to me than my 260 did 2 years ago. I'm getting the same FPS at all settings, and lowering the graphics still seems to do absolutely nothing for performance.

    Any problems you might be experiencing are more than likely due to the game's engine. The stuttering and twitchiness of the camera when turning your character, mini-freezes when you encounter a small group of players on the Fleet, FPS drops whenever you jump or open an in-game window, long loading times, ability delay, etc.

    I tried every possible graphics setting combination and everything that was suggested to me on the SWTOR forums and even after building a new computer, the game still plays wonky.

    My advice would be to run with the preset "Low" graphics option (disabling shadows and bloom) and just try to stomach it. I don't think there's anyone that hasn't experience the problems I listed above while playing this game, regardless of how powerful their computer might be. If the game's skeleton is bad, the best components on the market today won't make it play any better.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    I played SWTOR on a GTX 260 for the first several months of the game. It ran the game pretty decently on low-medium settings with a 1440x900 resolution. But to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in performance when lowering the settings anyways.

    6 months ago I built a new computer with a 650ti Boost and newer CPU. When I play the game today, it looks and feels no different to me than my 260 did 2 years ago. I'm getting the same FPS at all settings, and lowering the graphics still seems to do absolutely nothing for performance.

    Any problems you might be experiencing are more than likely due to the game's engine. The stuttering and twitchiness of the camera when turning your character, mini-freezes when you encounter a small group of players on the Fleet, FPS drops whenever you jump or open an in-game window, long loading times, ability delay, etc.

    I tried every possible graphics setting combination and everything that was suggested to me on the SWTOR forums and even after building a new computer, the game still plays wonky.

    My advice would be to run with the preset "Low" graphics option (disabling shadows and bloom) and just try to stomach it. I don't think there's anyone that hasn't experience the problems I listed above while playing this game, regardless of how powerful their computer might be. If the game's skeleton is bad, the best components on the market today won't make it play any better.
    I get occasional mouse looking lag, but only when I play in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode - no lag, even when I'm recording a 60 FPS video.

    i5 4670 and Radeon 280x at 1920x1200 resolution

    To be honest nvidia 650 is low range card, you would expect that performance.
    Last edited by ldev; 2013-11-27 at 10:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •