Deleted

Playing Affliction in PvP?

Hey guys

I havent touched affliction since hitting 90.

I wanted to know how it fares in arena and what the rotations / methods are behind it?

I am using Dark regen - howl of terror - dark bargin - unbound will - supremacy - archimode

Glyphs - siphone life - soul shards - health stone

Does this setup look fine?

Also can i gear the same way to switch between destro and affliction?

Appreciate theres a lot of questions but I cant find much online thats up to date so wanted to tips so i can try out affliciton for a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    Hey guys

I havent touched affliction since hitting 90.

I wanted to know how it fares in arena and what the rotations / methods are behind it?

I am using Dark regen - howl of terror - dark bargin - unbound will - supremacy - archimode

Glyphs - siphone life - soul shards - health stone

Does this setup look fine?

Also can i gear the same way to switch between destro and affliction?

Appreciate theres a lot of questions but I cant find much online thats up to date so wanted to tips so i can try out affliciton for a bit!
    From my own experience, Destro is way more viable than affl in pvp atm. Aff dots dont do any dmg unless you have MG up majority of the time (and alot of the time you can't) i been trying to bg with it but i just get train wrecked by hunters and wars. But we may get buffed eventually, who knows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockoma View Post
    From my own experience, Destro is way more viable than affl in pvp atm. Aff dots dont do any dmg unless you have MG up majority of the time (and alot of the time you can't) i been trying to bg with it but i just get train wrecked by hunters and wars. But we may get buffed eventually, who knows.
    Pretty much sums up my own experiences as affliction. you can do some strong damage with MG up. but without its multi dotting for meh damage as always

I for one tend to disagree destro is better than affliction atm. In Rated BGs yes, there's no disscusion, but in 3v3, affliction is better... unless you play with a mage wich can pretty much control the whole team... Why am I saying that? Because once you get to a reasonable mmr and meet people with half brain you'll get no Chaos Bolts off, especially with CDs up... If you're low rated than destro is better I guess, 1 shotting people...

Affliction dot damage with no CDs is indeed rather low and UA dispell basically tickles... But with Dark Soul and on use trinket, the pressure becomes rather high when you dot everythig in their team.

I know the thread is about Affliction, but as a side note... Most people tend to debate whether to play Destro or Affliction at the moment, I strongly suggest trying Demonology, it's... sick... not sure how well it can do in 3v3 arena, but in random BGs, duels, even 2s... it's simply sick... The burst is comparable to a Warrior's burst with skull banner, reck and avatar up... You simply global people in a pet stun... Once you get the hang of the spec and how to set up the burst, it's awesome. In my gear, Chaos Wave with CDs up crits for 130k and Touch of Chaos for around 40-45k on people with full PvP gear...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan View Post
    I for one tend to disagree destro is better than affliction atm. In Rated BGs yes, there's no disscusion, but in 3v3, affliction is better... unless you play with a mage wich can pretty much control the whole team... Why am I saying that? Because once you get to a reasonable mmr and meet people with half brain you'll get no Chaos Bolts off, especially with CDs up... If you're low rated than destro is better I guess, 1 shotting people...

Affliction dot damage with no CDs is indeed rather low and UA dispell basically tickles... But with Dark Soul and on use trinket, the pressure becomes rather high when you dot everythig in their team.

I know the thread is about Affliction, but as a side note... Most people tend to debate whether to play Destro or Affliction at the moment, I strongly suggest trying Demonology, it's... sick... not sure how well it can do in 3v3 arena, but in random BGs, duels, even 2s... it's simply sick... The burst is comparable to a Warrior's burst with skull banner, reck and avatar up... You simply global people in a pet stun... Once you get the hang of the spec and how to set up the burst, it's awesome. In my gear, Chaos Wave with CDs up crits for 130k and Touch of Chaos for around 40-45k on people with full PvP gear...
    fair points, i tried demonology but couldnt get my head around wtf i was doing and cant find a good guide to learn!

fair points, i tried demonology but couldnt get my head around wtf i was doing and cant find a good guide to learn!
    There is a good guide at the top of these forums stickied! Will give you a place to start at least. Mostly it's just keep practicing until you get used to it!
    Cyner#1996

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyner View Post
    There is a good guide at the top of these forums stickied! Will give you a place to start at least. Mostly it's just keep practicing until you get used to it!
    thats pve focused by the looks of it!

thats pve focused by the looks of it!
    Aw crud you are correct, my pea brain isnt working this late at night, Ok there is a Glad thread on the warlock forums-blizz official ones, that would probably serve you better. (went to link it and conveniently they are undergoing maint)
    Cyner#1996

Deleted
    Aw crud you are correct, my pea brain isnt working this late at night, Ok there is a Glad thread on the warlock forums-blizz official ones, that would probably serve you better. (went to link it and conveniently they are undergoing maint)
    is that the US forum? ill take a look when maintenance is done!

is that the US forum? ill take a look when maintenance is done!
    Yeah the US-Warlock forum has a poster (can't remember the name) Who has a whole pvp specific thread.
    Cyner#1996

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6893639862

There we go thats the one i was referring to, but either should help you out!

Good luck!
    Cyner#1996

Deleted
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6893639862

There we go thats the one i was referring to, but either should help you out!

Good luck!
    thanks for your help hopefully its useful!

Deleted
    For another time, a basic know-how doesn't change from PVE to PVP. So if you'd know the rotation in PVE, you'd know it in PVP. In PVP you just take out the uninterrupted constant nuking and put in the maintaining the upper hand through crowdcontrol or LOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not true. Spell priority often differs greatly between pvp and pve. You will almost never cast shadowbolt in arena and you actually use chaos wave single target in pvp. Doom is useless against most healer teams and HoG is often used as a snare and is a huge part of your overall damage.

Was aff pvp for the longest but lately it just seems i'm getting manhandled by warriors and hunters. Doesn't seem dots are doing enough damge. Trying destro for more burst since that seems to be the concensus.

Gonna steal somebody's post from another thread, I think it pretty much sums it up.

Pokadot*:

"1) Irrelevant Damage - 'Wut lulCB one shot gg!' people need a clue. Yes, DS/CB burst is OP (and getting nerfed). But our overall destro damage is really terrible outside of DS/CB - as in completely ignorable terrible. Aff damage is terrible period, that spec is just dead. We need a significant damage delivery rework to become a threat in 3s (all specs). Doubt it's coming.

2) Bad CC - Our CC is just not nearly as good as most other specs classes - every other caster has at least 2 DRs to play with full cc + full root, we only have Fear. This is multiplied by the prevalence of Warriors. Cata isn't the answer.

3) Useless when focused - Not as big a deal because games last for no time, but basically we are killable in a few globals when something has uptime/los on us. We can escape/pop a defensive, but we can't counter pressure. Our passive defense blows and all our damage relies on hard casting. When Rogues get buffed this is going to come into play bigtime.

4) Master of none - Warlocks are no longer great at anything. Need amazing CC/peels/off heals? Bring a mage/druid/spriest. Need reliable burst? Bring a mage/Shadow/Elle. Our 'niches', sustained dmg and dispel protection, are now useless and we're not really caster/tanks anymore either.
    "
    Last edited by Rio; 2012-10-26 at 11:11 AM.