Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

using 3 "tanks" for Stone Guards Hm 10, exploit?

That week for Jasper-Cobalt-Jade, we switched one of dps-monk for a tank spec. He wasn't tanking, just running around activating tiles. That way he still couldn't get any Jasper Chain, meaning that him and another person was free the whole fight for tile-painting and such.
    Our monk did almost no dps during the fight (only 20k), but it was much easier to gain our stacks and we beat our previous record by 20s.
    Can this be considered as a viable strat? Or is this an exploit?

How would this be an exploit?
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

How is it an exploit at all?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Its not an exploit to have more tanks then you should. Back when Morchok heroic first came out a lot of guilds 4 healed it, wasn't a problem.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Sacrificing a dps for a tank is not an exploit

Deleted
    Well it may be exploiting the fact that tank-specced players can't get chained, even when they're not tanking. But it didn't feel like an exploit when we did it, just asking so.

10+ Year Old Account
    "exploiting" is cheating past/through game mechanics, not thinking of a more intelligent/efficient way to do things

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not even remotely an exploit whatsoever OP

Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    ...meaning that him and another person was free the whole fight for tile-painting and such.
    Who was the other person and how was he free to paint without chains complicating things?
    I'm wondering cause my guilds is going to try this fight for the 1st time tomorrow and from the replies in this post this seems like a good tactic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardeth View Post
    Who was the other person and how was he free to paint without chains complicating things?
    I'm wondering cause my guilds is going to try this fight for the 1st time tomorrow and from the replies in this post this seems like a good tactic.
    The other will be randomly chosen, depending on who the 6 (three chains) first chained people were. It's easier if it's a dps. He's free to paint because he's sure to never get any chain the whole fight (as long as no one dies).

Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    The other will be randomly chosen, depending on who the 6 (three chains) first chained people were. It's easier if it's a dps. He's free to paint because he's sure to never get any chain the whole fight (as long as no one dies).
    So who gets chains is only random 1st time in the entire encounter? Oh, didn't know that :x Thanks.
    How do you feel about using this tac first to try and down the fight rather than using a regular 2 tank tactic? I just mean, it sounds like the way to go as easier and faster painting leads to more dps and healing which I guess will make up for the dps loss of a third tank? (Who can also deeps some, albeit not as well as before)

just curious how many heals you had with this strat

Deleted
    So who gets chains is only random 1st time in the entire encounter? Oh, didn't know that :x Thanks.
    How do you feel about using this tac first to try and down the fight rather than using a regular 2 tank tactic? I just mean, it sounds like the way to go as easier and faster painting leads to more dps and healing which I guess will make up for the dps loss of a third tank? (Who can also deeps some, albeit not as well as before)
    Yeah, once you get a chain, as long as no one breaks it or dies, you'll stay the whole fight chained with that person.
    Seemed easier for us, having two people free to move the whole fight clearly helped, despite the dps loss.

We 3-healed it.

That MIGHT be considered a small exploit, as it would exploit the game recognizing everyone in tank spec as a tank and it is not intented to anyone except the ACTUAL tanks to get chains. Though I think it's fine, you should get rewarded for that smart discovery :P Certainly not a ban-worthy thing.

It isn't really exploit and it reminds me Sindragosa hc fight, when we had healers healing in tank specs so they wouldn't have to deal with getting debuffs.

But.. if chains stay on the 6 ppl unless they break it / die, why not just go with 2 tank, 3 healers and 5 dps and have the 2 ppl who doesnt get chained paint the entire fight? You wont have to lose dps that way. Is it because you could have 2 healers doing the painting then?

10+ Year Old Account
    But.. if chains stay on the 6 ppl unless they break it / die, why not just go with 2 tank, 3 healers and 5 dps and have the 2 ppl who doesnt get chained paint the entire fight? You wont have to lose dps that way. Is it because you could have 2 healers doing the painting then?
    Ill try to explain.

Tanks never get chains

So by going 3 tanks you have 7 people who can get chains
    2 tanks tank the bosses
    1 tank dps and paint the tiles
    2 people get linked and as long they don't die they stay that way.
    another 2 people get linked same as above
    and another 2 peole get linked same as above
    then there is 1 person who won't get a link cause you can nevet be linked with 2 different people which = 2 people free to paint the tiles at all time.

Really smart tactic i must say.

to answer your question exploit no. borderline gray area yes. though use it until and if it gets hotfixed.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2012-10-24 at 09:58 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I would call it a clever use of the mechanics if anything, seems fine to me.

Deleted
    Were the tank specced person and the one free from chains the only ones doing tiles when you did this?

Deleted
    Clever idea idd.

By having 2 people free, you could easily get 100+ stacks whilst having everyone else just burn the boss. Overall, with lack of movement etc, having a 3rd tank seems totally irrelevent to how the DPS will play as they can just stand and burn for the whole duration?