Boomkin dot refreshing

Hey. Got a question regarding boomkins. Couldnt find any info about it in the guide, so here we go:

When would I want to refresh my dots? Havnt played boomkin since early cataclysm where I believe I would want to refresh dots at the end of an eclipse? Is it still like this?

Regards,
    Warex

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Hey. Got a question regarding boomkins. Couldnt find any info about it in the guide, so here we go:

When would I want to refresh my dots? Havnt played boomkin since early cataclysm where I believe I would want to refresh dots at the end of an eclipse? Is it still like this?

Regards,
    Warex
    No, you really shouldn't need to refresh between Eclipses.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    No, you really shouldn't need to refresh between Eclipses.

So do I only refresh when they run out?

I asume I wanna refresh when I have int procs up? (Obvious)

15+ Year Old Account
    So do I only refresh when they run out?

I asume I wanna refresh when I have int procs up? (Obvious)
    You don't want to refresh them when they run out, you want to refresh them at the top of the Eclipse if they've fallen off, which 95% of the time, they will. If they're still rolling, wait for them to fall off then refresh them.

If you have an int proc up but no NG or no Eclipse, you won't want to refresh them.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

You don't want to refresh them when they run out, you want to refresh them at the top of the Eclipse if they've fallen off, which 95% of the time, they will. If they're still rolling, wait for them to fall off then refresh them.

If you have an int proc up but no NG or no Eclipse, you won't want to refresh them.

Alright, so take it I refresh dots @ top of lunar, will those then last til next solar?

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright, so take it I refresh dots @ top of lunar, will those then last til next solar?
    Nope, if it's not the Courages or the boss during gas phase -- all you do is DoT and Starsurge on proc, you don't actually hardcast anything. So keep DoTting everything and reapply when they fall.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Nope, if it's not the Courages or the boss during gas phase -- all you do is DoT and Starsurge on proc, you don't actually hardcast anything. So keep DoTting everything and reapply when they fall.

Alright. Thanks

Deleted
    i have to disagree with this. I find it best to dot up at start of eclipse and to refresh right at end of eclipse otherwise you will miss a good few seconds of the dots before u reach the next eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by Clukclukboom View Post
    i have to disagree with this. I find it best to dot up at start of eclipse and to refresh right at end of eclipse otherwise you will miss a good few seconds of the dots before u reach the next eclipse.

After a few hours of testing I find it a dps loss to cllip the dots at the end of an eclipse. However, atm I pretty much just refresh dots when they come off. Usually at the end of an eclipse, and a few times out of an eclipse.

Now with the "rule" that you can cast 1-2 spells before refreshing a dot ( say you are right to about to enter an eclipse state ) I find it much easier to just refresh when needed

Deleted
    For 1 target i guess ur right about dps loss from clipping but more than 1 target and it becomes a lot more viable imo to refresh at the end of eclipse too as you use time using globals to dot things up that you wont get to the next eclipse before they drop off....example is stone guard. Using my method i got ranked as 57th in world for boomkins on 10m normal.

Feng and spirit kings are only times where i dont clip as i can hard cast to next eclipse pretty easy before i need to refresh but the other fights i think clipping is best.

I may be wrong but each has their own opinion. Just another option for you to try to get ur dps up.
    Last edited by mmocb8a6ce31c6; 2012-10-26 at 10:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    By manually refreshing our DoTs at the end of an Eclipse, you're effectively neutering the mechanic that extends DoT duration from crit. In a full hardcast rotation, you should maybe go 2-3 seconds without DoTs up.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Do your best to have a 100% uptime on your DoTs. You can hold off refreshing them if they fall off and your next Eclipse is approaching quickly. Make sure you have Nature's Grace when you refresh them though. I typically refresh DoTs with 1 to 2 seconds left on the duration.
    Last edited by Babytaco; 2012-10-28 at 11:55 AM.

By manually refreshing our DoTs at the end of an Eclipse, you're effectively neutering the mechanic that extends DoT duration from crit. In a full hardcast rotation, you should maybe go 2-3 seconds without DoTs up.
    So in a single target fight it's actually not an issue to have 2-3 seconds of not dots up? I find that depending on how many seconds my dots have left when I leave the eclipse (or am 1 cast away) I'll refresh them. I find if my dots have sub 8 seconds left (ish I can't really remember) on them when I am 1 cast from leaving eclipse I'll redot so that they don't roll off before the next eclipse and it usually happens on the solar eclipse (leaving to lunar)

Once I get 4 set I'm sure they would be more likely to not fall off, but until then are you sure its not an issue for dots to be dropping off for 2-3 seconds between eclipses?
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foto View Post
    So in a single target fight it's actually not an issue to have 2-3 seconds of not dots up? I find that depending on how many seconds my dots have left when I leave the eclipse (or am 1 cast away) I'll refresh them. I find if my dots have sub 8 seconds left (ish I can't really remember) on them when I am 1 cast from leaving eclipse I'll redot so that they don't roll off before the next eclipse and it usually happens on the solar eclipse (leaving to lunar)

Once I get 4 set I'm sure they would be more likely to not fall off, but until then are you sure its not an issue for dots to be dropping off for 2-3 seconds between eclipses?
    I mean there's obviously going to be times when you'd put them back up, if there's a lot of running left to do, like on heroic Wind Lord, but in general, in a tank and spank style fight, you really shouldn't have that problem since your crits will keep it up full duration.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre