Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Windows 8 or 7?New Build

Hello,

I've just ordered parts for my new computer build and was wondering what are the pro/cons of Windows 8 vs Windows 7 as in Performance and just usefulness.
    I don't own either Windows 7 or 8 so it doesn't make a difference money wise either way I will be paying.
    For a fresh build what would you guys recommend.

Discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    if i had to give a recommendation, it would be for windows 7, there is no performance increase by using 8 over 7, windows 8 will have many bugs and driver issues for the next few months

Deleted
    W8 Pros: faster boot times (hdd), better task manager & explorer, somewhat better desktop performance ( doesn't really affect gaming), some new features (hyper-v, refresh & reset installation, etc.)

W8 Cons: forced to use metro "start menu" (though you probably can install a 3rd party tool to avoid it), no choice of window decoration ( no aero -> ugly flat chrome only), media center sold separately, not matured yet.

Your choice really - if you can deal with the flat look and the occasional field trip into metro UI go for W8, else W7.

Deleted
    I will be using a SSD so will the boot times be much faster with Windows 8 or very minimal?
    Also to anyone who has used the Metro UI,Is it as bad as everybody is making it out to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNobleHylian View Post
    I will be using a SSD so will the boot times be much faster with Windows 8 or very minimal?
    Also to anyone who has used the Metro UI,Is it as bad as everybody is making it out to be?
    well, nobody really spends all day rebooting their computer, so i dont think that will matter much

but, there are definitely still some "omg really" and "who the f*** thought that was a good idea" issues when it comes to metro, does it make it a bad experience? not really, but it still falls short of what it could have been

Quote Originally Posted by TheNobleHylian View Post
    The improved boot times in Win8 only affect HDDs. With a SSD you will gain no boot time benefit from Win8 as the SSD already fixes the boot time issues that HDDs suffer from. Metro is 100% pointless with a mouse and keyboard interface. Everyone I know personally who beta tested Win8 disabled the Metro UI.

One key thing to note that is not being talked about in a lot of the reviews. Microsoft has beefed up their Security Essentials program. They beefed it up so much that it interferes with other programs. While increased focus on security by MS is a good thing, forcing people to suffer through a program that is so strict that it interferes with normal use is a bad thing.

We saw the same nonsense with Vista where people could not even do basic things like install a printer with out having issues. The updated MSE is so bad that it can affect your ability to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7, meaning that MSE does not even get along with other Microsoft programs.

Long story short you will not gain any benefit from Windows 8 but at the same time Windows 7 is a known and stable platform. There will not even be a new version of DirectX launching with Windows 8. We will just see a updated version of DX11 which will also be patched for Windows 7 too.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

I'd go with windows 7. It's a solid OS.

Deleted
    Yeah it's looking like Windows 8 isn't worth the hassle of the Metro UI but can that be disabled?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Yes, StarDock has this product that will bring back a fully operational and customizable Start Menu as well as the ability to boot directly to desktop.

the other posters are wrong with a capital W.

Windows 8 has a faster graphics sub-system that Windows 7 as well has a slimmer Kernel and more efficient Task Scheduler. The OS is smoother on equal hardware than Windows 7. This has been benchmarked many times, from many sources. The ONLY hang up have been the Start Menu and MetroUI... With StarDocks Start8 app that issue is null. I've been using it and it works very well. I'm planning on buying the $39 upgrade licenses for both my rig and my wifes on the 26th.

Windows 8 is NOT MEv2!

---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    The improved boot times in Win8 only affect HDDs. With a SSD you will gain no boot time benefit from Win8 as the SSD already fixes the boot time issues that HDDs suffer from. Metro is 100% pointless with a mouse and keyboard interface. Everyone I know personally who beta tested Win8 disabled the Metro UI.

One key thing to note that is not being talked about in a lot of the reviews. Microsoft has beefed up their Security Essentials program. They beefed it up so much that it interferes with other programs. While increased focus on security by MS is a good thing, forcing people to suffer through a program that is so strict that it interferes with normal use is a bad thing.

We saw the same nonsense with Vista where people could not even do basic things like install a printer with out having issues. The updated MSE is so bad that it can affect your ability to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7, meaning that MSE does not even get along with other Microsoft programs.

Long story short you will not gain any benefit from Windows 8 but at the same time Windows 7 is a known and stable platform. There will not even be a new version of DirectX launching with Windows 8. We will just see a updated version of DX11 which will also be patched for Windows 7 too.
    I don't think you have a clue what MSE is. Think you are confusing MSE with UAE! The thing that pops up asking you if you want to elevate your privileges to do a task? That's not MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials is the free Antivirus App you download and it would not pop up to interfere in a printer installation unless the printer drivers are infected.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Windows 8 has a faster graphics sub-system than Windows 7 ...
    That's true but it has little to no effect on games and most people don't really care if their browser window could be redrawn at 500fps or 1000fps - that might change though if we ever see widespread demanding html5/js stuff (not sure about that though because it wouldn't really work well on arm devices).

The ONLY hang up have been the Start Menu and MetroUI...
    Well that AND the removal of Aero - I hate the flat monochromatic look and despite of what the marketing drones are trying to tell you it is not more user friendly and it least gave you a choice.
    That "Content before Chrome" slogan makes some sense in an "always full screen multi media app" - on a desktop not so much.

people who like new shit will love windows 8

people who know what the hell is going on behind the scenes on their computer, simply want something that does what THEY want it do and when they want it, will love windows 7

i have 7. i tried 8. i went back to 7

these performance increases aren't something i noticed at all and there isn't anything wrong with windows 7. it does what i want it to. there's a reason windows 8 is going to be offered for less than any other OS since ME

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    these performance increases aren't something i noticed at all and there isn't anything wrong with windows 7. it does what i want it to. there's a reason windows 8 is going to be offered for less than any other OS since ME
    I thought it was to promote their tablet OS so Microsoft can compete with Apple and Google. Its the same business strategy Amazon's using to kill retailers like Best Buy.

I feel like Microsoft changed a lot of things with Windows that didn't need to be changed, such as the OS font.

people who know what the hell is going on behind the scenes on their computer, simply want something that does what THEY want it do and when they want it, will love windows 7
    Yeah no. No version of windows gives you the control under hood compared to something like linux which is meant for nerds and engineers and where you can tweak with everything. I'd say that with all the changes done to task manager alone you can control W8 and the stuff running to a finer degree than ever with W7. Not talking about the UI but the internals.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I have been using Windows 8 Pro as my primary OS for about 3 months now (so unlike most of the people here I actually have a experienced perspective rather than speculative one.)

Win8 Boots in less time off my RAID0 2x 1TB HDD than my LG IPS screen takes to turn on and get past the splash screen. Boot times ... enough said.

As for this metro crap... I barely ever use it, I don't even have to click Desktop to get out of it onto my Desktop after booting up becuase invariably I leave a Windows Explorer window open which automatically reloads when I boot up and takes me straight into the Desktop.
    While it is true, the Metro UI and the Desktop could be better integrated I actually like both solutions.

There are a whole host of improvements to Storage and Data operations, not to mention task profiling.

Did anyone mention that Win8 also costs A LOT less than Win7?

So far my experience with Win8 has been pretty stable and the only program I couldn't get working properly which previously worked on Win7 is VCS Voice Changer Diamond.

Also there are no driver incompatibility issues. At least none that I've experienced yet apart from Bluetooth not working properly for the first month or 2.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-10-25 at 11:20 AM.

I second what he said. Been using it for a month or two and, after a while, I got used to it and barely use Metro after I've opened all the stuff I tend to use regularly. When I do have to go to metro, it's so responsive that I don't really stay there long, unless I want to goof around with apps. The system just feels a bit more responsive (subjectively, since it's hard to tell because I had an SSD when using W7 and still do).
    The one problem I have is that sometimes it's hard to find some of the usual settings I tweaked around in W7.

I've had Win8 for a while and much prefer it over previous versions. There's a bit of a learning curve but overall I find it is just a better operating system with the search function, Explorer and Task Manager all having significant improvements, as well as software and hardware handling being more streamlined and intuitive (although a lot of that is thanks to the improved search).

Personally I find the UI-formerly-known-as-Metro to be a neater and better looking system than having icons on the desktop but a lot of people dislike the change (although there is nothing to stop you using the desktop). How good Metro will be depends on what apps are brought out for it, but even with only a few installed I definitely find Win8 well worth the upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only major downside, is that there isnt a "Recent Items/Places" menu/jump list anymore... but that's pretty easy to get round. Simply make a shortcut to: "C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent"

Deleted
    Well since Windows 8 uses hibernate instead of full shut down, Win 7 resumes from hibernate faster than Win 8 resumes from hibernate(shutdown) so Win 7 is still faster getting to desktop from power off. Ive also suffered gfx issues with games if jumping into the start screen and back to games. Get all wild gfx corruption or random Metro screens flashing on screen for odd second or 2 for no reason. Win 8 still feels too buggy for release atm.

You can also get Win 7 to feel as snappy as Win 8 if you go through all the services and set them to demand start. 3/4 of servces in Win 7 are auto run while 3/4 on Win 8 run only when needed. Both Os can be set up the same pretty much if you want to have your pc set up like some tiny battery economical tablet or etc etc.

Then the fact Win 8 doesnt have Media Center or even dvd playback built in unless you buy more crap from M$ to make it work, more scam.

The Metro UI is pointless since 99% of apps are still desktop apps, so context switching into the simpleton Xbox style Start screen just looks bad and like some crap web interface from AOL over 20 years ago, Lots of glitter, no content..

The main reason to goto Metro is if you want all the phone type apps on a real computer. Tho since theres only about 2000 apps on the empty store vs 500k-1m on other app stores means Metro is going to be an empty wasteland. Along with the fact that almost all Metro apps come with adware spam on every page of the app is going to turn your desktop into some spam overloaded noisy advert ticker tape churning revenue for M$ and stealing all your bandwidth even when not using the Metro interface.

You only need to watch the "new Task manager" to see the apps churning through internet even when "inactive", or blasting audio and video ads randomly on the Metro screen... Is like going back to using Internet Explorer without an Adblocker 5 years ago lol and Metro will just get worse in the future after launch, to some spam loaded crap like Xbox dashboard but worse.

If you are building a Desktop Pc use Win 7 since its designed for it. Win 8 is a stripped down designed for tablets piece of crap thats main reason to exist is to push these tablet type Metro store apps into everything and to force Microsofts "Advert serving platform" right into the heart of your desktop so theres no easy way to avoid the spam and generating revenue for M$ through your bandwidth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but notice.. all your "hate" is specifically with metro.... something which in a desktop environment you pretty much only need to use for fast searching. (windows key, type, click)

Media Center, not being able to play DVD's without buying something... have you ever heard of Windows Media Player? which comes built in?
    How about the "Metro Media Player" which is the default option.

Graphics Corruption, its *POSSIBLE* I have seen this ONCE... and i'm not even sure its related to Metro, pretty unlikely if you ask me... sounds more like a problem with your machine than with Win8.

I've never even heard of this hibernate shit you talk about. I don't use hibernate or standby, never have and likely never will. If it was true Win8 uses hibernate why do all my apps and programs close and not reopen when I boot up again?

As for ads... I have yet to see a single one... I don't know what your running but for sure it isn't Win8 Pro.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-10-25 at 01:21 PM.

So you know how MS coded W7, eh?

On topic, I'd suggest W7 for now. W8 is a fantastic OS with a lot of neat things, but it's brand new and that means drivers will need to be updated for a lot of things and there will be bugs to be dealt with for a little while.