Deleted

Lf Healing analyze

Good morning Comm,

I have a short question about our latest Logs and the average Shaman healing output in Mogu´shan, because i didn´t know very much about resto shaman.

I would be glad if some experienced Healers gives a thought about our Healing Shaman. (After a few try´s at elegon we switch to double Hpally cause it was late and we wanna finish the ID)

1. Is his healing output and Rotation okey, in fact of the Boss Situation.
    2. Is his gear and reforging okey?
    3. Can you give him/me some Tipps about to get a better heal performance.

Logs: worldoflogs.com/reports/lj1kmqucdmzs4dlv
    Armory:eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/antonidas/Fray%C3%A2/advanced

Thank´s for the help and sorry for my english, i am still new with this Language.
    greetz Gramla

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Output and rotation
    He's been using Unleash Life only 18 times over the entire raid night. I'd personally never cast a Healing Rain that doesn't have the UL-boost. Especially the 2 uses during Feng are a bit iffy. There's so much AoE incoming, and even in 10-man, the raid huddles up closely together in the relevant phases. Healing Rain can do almost all the work by itself in some of the phases.

I looked at Elegon specifically now. It just happens to be that I 2-healed that encounter in the first week together with a holy paladin. The log is from 9th October. As we keep our logs private so as to not encourage our dps to play for rankings instead of issuing proper play ^^, I can't just link you, but here's the breakdown of my heals for our Elegon first-kill:

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/8327/healbreakdown.jpg

You'll see that I made ample use of Unleash Life so as to boost my Healing Rains. I used Healing Rain sparingly, only when adds exploded or after a bombing phase when people went back onto the platform. I avoid casting HR without UL (I'm not saying I never do it, because it may have happened by accident or out of necessity, but I really really try not to because it's such a waste).

Now, I wish to say that I'm by no means the best player and that there is ample room for improvement. There is. A lot. That's a first-kill log, after all. I should probably use a bit more Greater Healing Wave above Healing Surges, but it's been a very hectic encounter, and I felt comfortable with Healing Surges in regards to mana and efficiency, so I stuck more to those. My own uptime on Healing Stream Totem still needs improvement as you can see. Your shaman did way more healing with it. I suppose I had my reasons for not using it on CD. There are indeed a few times during the encounter when I really want it to be ready. Ah well, you get my point.

As for hps stuff, I'll just copy-paste
    Name Amount HPS HPS(e) Active Time
    Shaman (me) 26722268 34.96% 51539.9 49485.8 518.5s 96.1%
    Paladin 22718741 29.72% 42683.8 42071.8 532.3s 98.7%
    We also used a DK tank who did a nice amount of self-healing, just like yours.

2. Gear and reforging
    He's going for mastery. Is he not having any mana issues? I actually did have a mastery-reforge just to see how it would go on our Elegon first-kill that I've linked you but ever since then I've been going for a crit reforge. I suppose for Elegon either works well enough. I found I personally prefer gearing towards crit at this point. Going for mastery is perfectly fine though if he's better at managing his mana than I am.

3. What we did was have the paladin focus on tanks, generally, and allow the shaman's healing rain to do its magic. Of course, when 2-healing, you support each other when you can.

Deleted
    Wow, thanks for the great reply. He hasn´t told me something about mana problems, the only thing we could see was that our Hpally has a hard time if i switch to ret or laeve the raid for another DD. If we play double Pally we could heal every Boss without any issues or Mana problems, I don´t know if the double Hpally is a great Setup or our Shaman just suck a bit and have to find the way to heal.

Did you think anytime at that Shaman couldn´t compete with the other Healers in this Xpac, or is it just the "How to" ? And since when did UL affect Healing rain, everything I found on a quick search is that this spell didn´t affect earthshield and HR.

and again, thank you very much for your help.
    Last edited by mmocda6b04670b; 2012-10-25 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramla View Post
    Did you think anytime at that Shaman couldn´t compete with the other Healers in this Xpac, or is it just the "How to" ?
    When I'm purely tank-healing, I feel a bit on the low side hps-wise (I hate you for doing this to me, Stone Guard), but I think it's quite natural to be lower when spamming a single target as opposed to when you can spam some heals on the raid. It's just not good for my ego, in any other respect it's fine. But single-target healing on tanks is eating through my mana pool way more than being support-healer on tank and keeping an eye on the raid. But I can manage. If I ask nicely, I even get an innervate!

Before I go into a shaman history lesson sprinkled with personal anecdotes... Shaman can compete very well this Xpac, we're keeping up for the most part and even pull ahead hps-wise sometimes - mostly when we can use some Healing Rain. Not spam it, just use it when necessary and useful. And you get those moments. Your healing output during those moments is considerable and well worth the mana cost. As a shaman, you can't afford being an all-too-spammy healer. I feel that we have the tools to cover the situations we're being thrown into, but we have to take special care to use them at the right times.

You just have to figure out how to best use what Blizzard gave you. And they gave us a lot. I'm still playing around and shifting talent points whenever I feel that something isn't quite as it should be for any given encounter.

It's been a long time since I've been so happy with my class. Dragon Soul doesn't count. It was a healing rain spam-fest with TC inbetween. I want to feel competitive because I am being competitive, not because of a gimmick talent that Blizzard hadn't bothered to fix at that time. Being a shaman was on the slightly masochistic side during Cata, and even during the larger parts of WotLK it was nightmarish.

Now we're doing extremely well, and while we may have our weaknesses, we can work around those, so that we're not a liability to our raids. We're not the weakest link now, not the one your raid leader would just bench like they did during Cata.

Bringing another paladin over your shaman simply due to class choice wouldn't make sense, for example. Because shaman is performing fine and bringing a lot of useful CDs to the table.

Deleted
    Yeah, that is what we want, have a rich setup of classes but till now the problem is that we drive better with two Hpally´s. Cause we do our Job well and if we switch it ends in a chaos.

I will thank you so far, we will talk with him now and try to find the best way.
    So far i would be glad if some other Rshamans wanna say something to this topic.

greetz Gramla

---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 03:54 PM ----------

There is still one question, did UL affect to HR, or just to other direct heals?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramla View Post
    Yeah, that is what we want, have a rich setup of classes but till now the problem is that we drive better with two Hpally´s. Cause we do our Job well and if we switch it ends in a chaos.

I will thank you so far, we will talk with him now and try to find the best way.
    So far i would be glad if some other Rshamans wanna say something to this topic.

greetz Gramla

---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 03:54 PM ----------

There is still one question, did UL affect to HR, or just to other direct heals?
    As of MoP, UL affects HR for the full duration of the cast. Prior to this, UL would only affect the first tick of HR so this equated to an excellent buff for Shammies overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbernwo View Post
    As of MoP, UL affects HR for the full duration of the cast. Prior to this, UL would only affect the first tick of HR so this equated to an excellent buff for Shammies overall.
    thank you.

Okay, just a few points that I noticed looking at the logs:

On the final attempt, the one that lasted the longest with the rshaman, it appears as though he could work on his ES uptime. It’s at 35% uptime. Even if he’s not focusing on the tanks, he should keep it on one of the tanks full-time, even if it’s just for the bonus to healing.

For the amount of raid damage that goes around for Elegon, I would suggest he spec into Primal Elementalist for that fight. It looks like his spec reflects that talent NOW, but it didn’t for the Elegon fight. So, he may be swapping talents. I would definitely use Primal Elementalist for that one though. Especially since he only used UL/UF twice during the fight.

I played around with the Riptide glyph for Elegon and hated it. With the bonus healing buff within the circle, the initial heal of riptide is really nice. If he’s merely using the glyph to increase the uptime on his tidal waves, then he needs to just improve casting Riptide on cd. The Riptide glyph really should be used on high movement fights, or with a rshaman that has really good control over when he/she casts it. Otherwise, it’s a mana hog that fakes being a decent hot. So, comparing my riptide casts to his riptide casts: I casted it 40 times less than he did, but our riptide healing is roughly the same with more of his riptide being overheal.

If he seems to be having mana issues, he should swap out one of his glyphs for the Watershield one for the Elegon fight. It’s a mana gain. If he’s not having mana issues, I would blame that on his low hps.

As someone already mentioned, he may want to try reforging for more crit. I gained twice as much mana in our Elegon kill (9:15) as he did on the one Elegon (8:43) attempt. He’s using Telluric Currents and gained a minimal amount of mana from that, however, those 27 GCDs he used casting LB, he could have been healing and not leaving it up to the pally healer. Remember the mana gain from TC on the logs doesn’t take into account the cost of LB.

I really don’t think for Elegon, Greater Healing Wave should be his top heal. I use healing rain sparingly and it’s still my highest percentage of healing. When the raid is clumped prior to an explosion, healing rain should be down.

Something also kind of struck me as odd, the majority of his healing was himself, the warlock and the boomkin, actually 54% for that attempt. I would say that’s an odd distribution of healing. I would attribute that partly to ES not being on one of the tanks (I’d suggest the tank that goes to rshaman’s side for orbs). I understand that the five that he splits off with would receive more healing from him, but one of those five should be a tank. So, it’s odd that a tank isn’t at the top of his healing done. Only 13% of his healing was the warrior tank and 8% of his healing was the DK tank. Maybe for that fight, give him a clearer healing assignment. For example, tell him to focus on the add tank and the raid. The pally on the main tank and raid. Then he can keep his ES on the add tank, and riptide on both tanks and one other raid member. Healing Rain down on ranged, and healing waves on melee. Healing Stream down here and there. I only casted Greater Heal during the orb phase. Of course, weaving his CDs between all the other healing.

Here’s the log from our Elegon kill. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w...?s=2072&e=2628

So, by comparison, I heal it with a holy priest and each of us were right at 67k hps with 25% overheal. Your healing comp was at 54k and 38k with 33% overheal. I would say a few tweaks here and there would make it a viable healing team. But as it stands, the pally is having to burn through his mana to compensate for the rshaman.

Deleted
    Thank you Mavalynn, there are so many helpful things, i hope with this we could fix the problem