Engineering: Gliding All Over The World

Hello there, fellow engineers and possibly roleplayers!

My friend and I recently leveled up our engineering skills and we thought about an awesome, unique "extreme sport". I do not know if this was invented before, if the answer is yes, please don't flame me and I am sorry for the (re)post.

The new engineering tinker, the Goblin Glider offers so much possibilities in this world, that only for this perk, it is worth being an engineer in my opinion. What's this all about? Well, we kind of got bored between doing BGs, leveling and questing, so we came up with Extreme Gliding in WoW.

We climbed the highest mountains all over Azeroth, just to use the Glider from the top. The results were breathtaking and also it gave such a new feel to the whole game. Setting the view distance to Ultra and hiding the Interface amplified the effect, which consists of our slow and peaceful descent (with possible acrobatic maneuvering ) from the top of the greatest heights like Mount Hyjal or Blackrock Mountain. Also we found out, that the duration of the glider buff is actually more than 2 minutes and after the 3 minute cooldown of the tinker, you can use it again to get an extra boost!

Anyways, I just wanted to share this, so more people can enjoy this amazing (though mostly useless) way of spending time.

Cheers!

people were slowfalling from mt hyjal in vanilla, you could aim at org and nail it

I know this is not entirely a new thing, only the glider's way of descending is much different from your standard slow fall effect and you can get much further with it. Also in some cases the top of the sky blocks your way, but it still can result in a unique feeling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    people were slowfalling from mt hyjal in vanilla, you could aim at org and nail it
    You don't get the forward thrust with slowfalling. You can get far further with the glider.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool! Make a video and post on Youtube.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    You don't get the forward thrust with slowfalling. You can get far further with the glider.
    that's why you used speed pot, sprint, rocket belt

---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 05:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crozer View Post
    I know this is not entirely a new thing, only the glider's way of descending is much different from your standard slow fall effect and you can get much further with it. Also in some cases the top of the sky blocks your way, but it still can result in a unique feeling.
    you'd like teh glider pads in firefall, it's like this and it's the "flight points" really, not to mention at night it looks completely badass

With old rocket boots (which give like +300% move speed as opposed to Nitro Boosts ~150%) I was able to jump off the highest peak in Storm Peaks with alternating 2 cloaks with flexweave and got all the way to where the Alliance boat lands in Howling Fjord. By the way, these boots still exist and haven't been changed.. they are quite fun.

The forward push definitely isn't what makes the glider unique, though it is helpful if you don't have another speed boost handy. It's the steering that makes it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by crozer View Post
    Anyways, I just wanted to share this, so more people can enjoy this amazing (though mostly useless) way of spending time.

Cheers!
    Having fun is never wasted/useless time

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    yeah cus you could totally get to mt hyjal in vanilla

/endsarcasm
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post

/endsarcasm
    LOL Yes you could!!! shows everyone you didnt play in Vanilla ;()

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
    LOL Yes you could!!! shows everyone you didnt play in Vanilla ;()
    Yes you could get to Mt. Hyjal, but I believe if the GMs caught you there you'd get a temporary ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post

/endsarcasm
    Yes ya could. I went in there back in classic, 2005. There used to be Archimonde's skeleton there and also a cave called Neltharion's Maw[the future!].

They used that map/terrain for the Battle for Mt Hyjal Instance in TBC.

try base jumping, jump off something high, pop the glider closest to the ground as possible.

I made it almost all the way to krasarang wilds from the top of mount neverest
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.