Do Proffesions need a leveling berf?

Okay so just a random thought, so read it all before you flame,

Im leveling an alt atm, I have tailoring on her so I thought I'd be a good boy and research the mats I need to power level it, to my astonishment I saw that 1200 frostweave cloth was needed and 800 something embersilk,

Now, while thats not a problem for me to go spend two nights a week farming instances to get that cloth, I thought, what about new players?

A) No main to go out and farm those mats quickly
    B) The gold they get from quests isnt enough to buy current outrageous prices (e.g. 175g per stack of frostweave last night on my servers AH)
    C)They might not quite get the concept of grinding and won't stay in a place farming once their high enough to go to the next shiny place aka leveling faster than the mats are dropping
    D) They dont have a clue about how many mats they need in some professions - debatable though

But I can't leave out that, they can gain easy levels by;

A) DMF
    B) Fiery spirits from blingatron (80+)

So, do you think its fair on new players? After all we had to do it at some point when we started, or do the lower end of professions need a nerf, such as less cloth or leather needed to make items, or introducing multiple skill points at lower gear, like they have with higher gear since cata.

Oh I should add, I'm talking about 85 < I think to get that 600 point you should either have a big wallet, or a big grind fest
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Farming frostweave just to get past the Wrath tailoring is a pain in the ass. Even with an 85+ farming Pit of Saron for easy cloth, it still takes a while and it's not friendly to new players. I'd rather spend my time working on 525-600 than on the pre-MoP stuff.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the new Mists leveling way - super easy to get to 600, and that's where the real work and gating starts. They should expand it to include low level mats.

Deleted
    What is a berf? Bloodelfnerf?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What is a berf? Bloodelfnerf?
    A Berf is a buffnerf.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, why would it need to be changed? It's worked out fine for the last x amount of years, The only problem is people thinking they HAVE to level their proffesions to max ASAP, which isn't the case at all

I leveled tailoring in a day on my Shaman without farming Frostweave cloth. Not like its that expensive to level a profession 1-600, and I would rather have the time than the few extra gold that I might save. Also, if you have an enchanter alt, you end up making back a lot of the cost by slowly selling back mats by DE-ing everything you made leveling tailoring.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariluz View Post
    I leveled tailoring in a day on my Shaman without farming Frostweave cloth. Not like its that expensive to level a profession 1-600, and I would rather have the time than the few extra gold that I might save. Also, if you have an enchanter alt, you end up making back a lot of the cost by slowly selling back mats by DE-ing everything you made leveling tailoring.
    That's great for you, but the OP was talking about New players, ones who won't have an alt to DE-ing, or for buying cloth

Quote Originally Posted by Ariluz View Post
    Well last night, just the frostweave bit would of been 10.5k, thats if I got all 60 stacks at 175 but yes, I'm on about new players,

A new player doesn't have that kind of gold and probably not a enchanting alt to de the stuff,

Also, in regards to what someone said about people not needing to level it to max straight away, I agree, however, I know plenty of people including myself, that wanted to level my professions progressively alongside my character level, that isn't max, and some professions mat demands stop new people from doing this
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Professions really need a reset.

It takes to long to max out and on lower levels its hard getting the materials or they are overpriced on AH. Its not very friendly/fun for new players this way.

They will probably have this on the radar, but my guess is they will bring this together with the itemsquish in a future patch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    A Berf is a buffnerf.
    this doesnt make any sense

Deleted
    They are easy too level and it adds to the fun if there are hard mats to find. Plenty of players can level to 600 in a few days. If you make it too easy street, then everyone has it and you might as well give it them for free. LW is a bit hard though. So many leveling guides and you cna make decent money whilst leveling because 90s can be rich and lazy. From 525-600 was dull and for lots of professions you didnt even leave org. The recupes i liked the original way where they feel from particular mobs, so people went out and farmed crusade etc, so having rare recipes meant something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    That's great for you, but the OP was talking about New players, ones who won't have an alt to DE-ing, or for buying cloth
    If that truly is the case then there isn't an issue. Considering that new players won't have heirloom gear to blow through all the content they'll level up their professions organically, like the rest of us did when leveling initially. The only time I've run in to a profession leveling issue is when I"m leveling an alt in full heirloom gear. I out level my professions in a matter of hours which then requires farming/AH shopping. But a new character with no alts and no heirloom should be able to level their professions without the same headaches.

No, why would it need to be changed? It's worked out fine for the last x amount of years, The only problem is people thinking they HAVE to level their proffesions to max ASAP, which isn't the case at all
    I dunno I kind of think that blizz needs to add more of the multi point gain items to help increase profession leveling speed, as for mining nodes and herbs, they should quadruple the nodes in each and every area of the game.

Then again I also think that blizz should put 10/25 back on separate lockouts simply because I could gear up quicker via raiding thus have more time to pursue the other time sinks wow has to offer. (well that and it would instantly revive 25m raiding)
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-10-25 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    they should quadruple the nodes in each and every area of the game.
    No no no no no no no no. The ridiculous amount of ghost iron available in Pandaria has driven me absolutely insane. I mean, its nice that they are so readily available but I'm far to anal to fly past one without mining it. It takes me like 10 minutes to fly over the Heartland because of all the stuff there. Having that everywhere would just make my head explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    this doesnt make any sense
    It's the Chewbacca defense!

And what is your point? Leveling professions has always cost a little bit of gold in every expansion. You should still easily have more than the cost of leveling your professions when you hit 90, especially as a tailor. Anyways, if you're a new player and roll tailoring, it makes the most sense to have Enchanting to go with it, since those two professions work well together.

Also, please remember that Wow-professions generally suggests more cloth than you would need in a level 25 guild.

Newcomers? Well it seems to me they will level up their profs as they level the char.
    Isn't that the regular way?

If you wait till you're at max level and then level your prof, yeah then it is a different story, but then the char can make gold by him/herself, isn't it?
    I don't see any issue here.

I started all over in the opposite faction and on a new server also.... I am leveling with heirlooms, guildperk; so leveling is quite quick.
    I am leveling my profs as I go through the content leveling up; no issues at all.