Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Your ideas are quite hilarious to listen to. Basically, you list alot of theoreticals of what classes to do, yet quite obviously, you have never played these specs. Ranged Judgement? How is this an Amazing boon? Freedom? With fingers of frost you do your huge damage anyway, I am glad you brought up Retribution, because as a Mage you can completely destroy the one edge a retribution paladin has by casting Ice block to avoid his wings burst.

DK, well, this one is a little more special, but you still point out very obviously flaws, Blink has a much shorter cooldown than grasp. Strangulate can easily be counter by counterspell in return, remember? Simulacrum is not a game changer unless he catches a stun or something and AMS lasts for hardly enough time to be killed. You also mention pet and then range damage, yet you forget it's Unholy with the pet and Frost with the Semi ranged aspect.

As a final note I'll add people not complaining about Mages because people at 2k were either playing mages or counterpicks just as strong as mages or were simply so good and predicting a mage they could counter them.

Either way, Mages are still stable and still one of the top 5, both fire and frost now.
    So all of those classes counter mages? Actually I think your ideas are quite hilarious. About how healing is the deciding factor(and obviously from this post mages are a deciding factor too) how a mage is still impossible to reach to. Fingers of frost is the real damage from a mage, but 1 proc of it is not. Ranged attacks destroy mages when coming from melee, because of their low armor. Add some uptime to this = the mage is dead. Previously it was almost impossible to have any uptime on a mage unless you were dispelled. Now it is very much possible.

I know all the ways a mage can deal damage to you. If you are tardy enough to not get out of the root or use something like a spell reflect, a mage will deep you. Otherwise the only way a mage can deep freeze you is with frozen orb and pet freeze. If you can break free from that deep freeze somehow.. There is almost nothing a mage will be able to do. Pom + Ring is the only really effective control left after deep. A mage can't just jump and kite and kill you. Without casting there are two things a mage can gain fingers of frost from. One is pet freeze which only gives the mage one proc, the other is frozen orb which wil most likely give the mage one proc as well. If you are good enough to break your roots, the mage will have to use one of those procs to deep you. Everything a mage can do is so predictable and almost everything a mage can do is counterable somehow.

I agree that mages are in top 5. With the damage and control they can put out, they will almost always be good. They have very good survivability added tot his. But they are not broken enough to make some classes useless in arena, they are not the class that people should be QQing about anymore(they are definitely not godly as they were in duels.) The QQ is never ending because some people just prefer being baddies instead of learning the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Since TBC? As in during? Mages were pretty bad during TBC. Warlocks and spriests were extremely prevalent and both were pretty hard counters to a mage. But maybe I don't know the definition of the word "since" in which case I'm dumb.
    frost mages were extremely potent in TBC, i played with one in a mage, SL/SL lock, resto druid 3's team, and we raped face, so much control, lock spread pressure over time, mage supplied some burst and i healed forever

Deleted
    And here we go again, the next biased comment about mages, so stupid, especially if you talk about the past, Mages never dominated anything regarding pvp. Idk where this hatred come from, the BEST option, IGNORE the troll !

At first you need to get your mentality right. Shit on every PVE-hero, develop a elitist jerkism.
    Then there are some things you need to know:
    - when you kill someone he is a noob.
    - when someone kills you he is a noob cause if he´d played like a pro you would have kllled him. Just playing so noobish and unpredictable luckily made him win.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnaea View Post
    And here we go again, the next biased comment about mages, so stupid, especially if you talk about the past, Mages never dominated anything regarding pvp. Idk where this hatred come from, the BEST option, IGNORE the troll !
    Actually during cata frost mages dominated for quite some time, was almsot impossible for a melee to get on them and they had insane burst damage to blow anything that could get on them out of the water.

---

At the guy talking on how mages are great, I guess that's why just about any team with a mage(Bar BM hunter as other) me and my partner(frost/unholy) DK can destroy...
    He has no problem staying on them mage and blowing them up as they can't get away, oh you blinked right after his death grip? meet his second death grip...

---

OT - Go healer or hunter, if you go healer make sure your team is smart enough to lock down hunters, spriests locks, and arms warriors and just /lol from then on.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everytime you roll a currently powerful class, by the time you hit the level cap and are geared, the class will be no longer as powerful.
    Importantly play a class you enjoy. Try them out on the PTR with lvl 90 premades characters you can play.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joycemiester View Post
    Everytime you roll a currently powerful class, by the time you hit the level cap and are geared, the class will be no longer as powerful.
    Importantly play a class you enjoy. Try them out on the PTR with lvl 90 premades characters you can play.
    Except that is not true at all. I know a few people who rerolled hunters and warriors and they are still OP as hell and will be
    for atleast until 5.1 comes.

Thats plenty of time to secure gladiator range with the help of easymode faceroll classes. Sad but true.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    PvP isn't going to be fun on a 'easy' class, though warriors, frost DK's and ret paladins will never be hard to play.

Mage, DK, War, Lock are all pretty easy to play and decent. Spriest/Boomy/Feral are also good.
    Hpally is probably one of the easier healers to play if you're interested in that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Actually during cata frost mages dominated for quite some time, was almsot impossible for a melee to get on them and they had insane burst damage to blow anything that could get on them out of the water.

---

At the guy talking on how mages are great, I guess that's why just about any team with a mage(Bar BM hunter as other) me and my partner(frost/unholy) DK can destroy...
    He has no problem staying on them mage and blowing them up as they can't get away, oh you blinked right after his death grip? meet his second death grip...

---

OT - Go healer or hunter, if you go healer make sure your team is smart enough to lock down hunters, spriests locks, and arms warriors and just /lol from then on.
    ye, they dominated maybe 1v1 (against melee) but seriously, who cares ?! Duells doesnt mean anything (to some extent though). I was talking about arena, and then, in cata, warlocks/rogues/shammans dominated. Theres a possibility that mages were the 4th place in line, but i doubt it.

Additionally, in s9 tsg did really well, mainly because of dks and warriors, but "behind" s9 it was pretty much warlocks/rogues/shammans.

Deleted
    On topic, I'd advise you the following: (assuming you want to play as DPS)

- Hybrids like Druid, Shaman, Priest, Monk and Paladin might not be the best choice, you're forced into 1 spec, it might be sub-par.
    - Classes with more than 1 dps spec usually have one that is really good for PvP.

Other than that it doesn't really matter, just play what you like. If you're going to level a new char, chances are the balance will be totally different once you're max-level and geared.

Easiest to do well at low ratings: (excluding healers)

Mage
    Ret
    Warr
    BM Hunter

Hardest to do well with at low ratings:
    Lock
    Rogue
    Shaman

Easiest to use at moderately high ratings:
    Warr
    DK
    BM Hunter

Hardest to Use at moderately high ratings:
    Lock
    Mage
    Rogue
    Feral

Pretty much, you can hook up with a double melee team and faceroll yourself to a decent rating. But, if you are crappy...double caster comps such as shatterplay will then shut you down. In the end, double caster comps end up being better but require a lot more coordination and timing than double melee comps do. This is why if you look at the ladders, shatterplay is rank one and found at the very top, but there aren't very many in the top 100 other than at the very top. However, warrior and hunter comps are all over the place. If you are looking for ease of use, BM hunters are probably the easiest thing in the game to play at every level of pvp, but boring as hell in bgs.

Deleted
    Anyway, the consistent Arena Class in WoW is probably Druid or Warlock (warlocks got ~ 45% of all gladiators through all seasons, there easiest the best arena class to date). Right now there didnt look that strong, but with future patches you will see a rise of locks, im sure.

The controll is good and possibilities for team comps is the largest of all classes, they can pretty much play with every class AND specc (excluding ret and disc).

Cool

OP, if you want to play PvP, then choose a class you enjoy. Ignore the comments of this is easy / face roll, because every class is easy to play, but arena is hard to master. Most of Arena PvP comes down to positioning and timing.

If you are intent on playing seriously, at some stage you will need to play 3v3 because 2s is just not balanced any more, so unless you're lucky enough to be part of the flavour of the month comp, you're going to get frustrated. With this in mind look for a good synergy comp, so if you have a Druid, Warrior/lock/Druid is usually strong.

Until the next round of adjustments come through, it's tough to tell what will work as, for example the warrior which is currently very strong could get nerfed to oblivion like they were in Cata. Playing monk is probably a good place to start as you can DPS or heal and so can the Druid, so you have options, people don't know monks well yet, so you have a slight advantage there and it's the new class so chances are blizzard will keep it viable. You should have plenty of options for 3s too from Triple DPS to double healer.

Remember though, it's more about timing and keeping calm. Don't blame your partner, blizzard or the world, just keep practicing.

Play a healer. Can never have enough healers, and once you get some gear you'll almost never die.

Thanks all for the comments! I think I am going to stick with my monk (WW) I figure it might be harder for me to master, but I cannot imagine it would not make me a better player for PvE which is also something I want to be! (although I have a warrior I am leveling for fun so down the road I might give that a try too!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Well he's right. Mages have been the top dogs in PvP since TBC.
    Lol rite. They were shit in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    frost mages were extremely potent in TBC, i played with one in a mage, SL/SL lock, resto druid 3's team, and we raped face, so much control, lock spread pressure over time, mage supplied some burst and i healed forever
    'cept when the mage went oom, and you fell over and died.

OP: I've found DK and Enhanced Shaman to be the easiest classes to play as DPS and I expect both would work well with your Druid partner. Someone said play your monk, I agree with that as well as the better you get on your Monk in PVP the better you will be on your Monk in PVE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are fairly easy to get into if you just want mid-range pvp. You could also go for a frost mage or possibly a Hpala (if you want healing)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let the flame war BEGIN! Oh... the Mage discussion already brought it there. If you want to heal roll a Resto Druid they have the most CC right now and are very hard to kill, kind of a no-shit class right now... very much faceroll. BM Hunters... we have our 1 shot macro but I imagine it'll get nerfed next patch.